Driving From Chiangmai To Nong Khai

lanky

I am planning to drive from chiangmai to nong khai and latter get other transport across the border to laos I have a garmin gps with map of thailand on it, I not sure how far it is to drive from chiangmai to nong khai or driving time I would estimate between 400 to 700 km would like to know if anyone has driven that route and are their good highways or roads to toward nong khai

Driving time is about 9-10 hours depending on the speed and traffic. Roads are good - Normally Take Rd 11 to Uttaradit and then the 1246 and 1143 to Chatrakan and Nakhonthai and then take the 2013/203 to Dan Sai and to Phu Rua and from there to Loei, Udon Thani and Nong Khai.

Lanky,

You should be able to plot the route on the Garmin for either the shortest or quickest or else if you bought it new, it would have come with a Mapsource disc with it and you can use that to choose your route on a PC then squirt it up to the GPS unit for use on the road.

If your stuffed, give me a PM and I'll try to help if you can bring the unit into the city centre. The route suggested by "Offroadlanna" is pretty good and may even be the way the GPS would suggest.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Driving time is about 9-10 hours depending on the speed and traffic. Roads are good - Normally Take Rd 11 to Uttaradit and then the 1246 and 1143 to Chatrakan and Nakhonthai and then take the 2013/203 to Dan Sai and to Phu Rua and from there to Loei, Udon Thani and Nong Khai.

Nice rout for sight seeing but out of the way. Direct and faster... Highway 11 south to Highway 12 east to Highway 2 north.

Sawasdee Khrup, All TV CM<=>Laos Visa Pilgrims,

While, obviously, "your mileage may vary," depending on what you drive, it would be interesting to know any ballpark figures from someone who has driven this route on how much you spent for gas or lpg, or whatever your jalopy runs on.

thanks, ~o:37;

Sawasdee Khrup, All TV CM<=>Laos Visa Pilgrims,

While, obviously, "your mileage may vary," depending on what you drive, it would be interesting to know any ballpark figures from someone who has driven this route on how much you spent for gas or lpg, or whatever your jalopy runs on.

thanks, ~o:37;

Toyota 4x4 Hilux 3.0 D. 9.5 kpl. 760 Kilometers each way. 2140 baht or 4280 return.

According to googlemaps:

Driving directions to Nong Khai

Route 11

Route 1214

Route 1246

Route 1143

Route 2013

Route 203

Route 3002

Route 2140

Route 2016

Route 201

Route 210

National Hwy No. 2

Route 212

734 km

11 hours 52 mins

According to googlemaps:

Driving directions to Nong Khai

Route 11

Route 1214

Route 1246

Route 1143

Route 2013

Route 203

Route 3002

Route 2140

Route 2016

Route 201

Route 210

National Hwy No. 2

Route 212

734 km

11 hours 52 mins

As I said that is a nice scenic route. Being your first time you had better make that 14 to 15 hours.

Nice rout for sight seeing but out of the way. Direct and faster... Highway 11 south to Highway 12 east to Highway 2 north.

Have you driven this route?  Just wondering whether it's quicker to drive down to Tak, then cut across to Phitsanulok on hwy 12?  I need to drive to Friendship bridge next month, so open to suggestions.   How is hwy 11 now?  It's an extra 100km via Tak, but "superhighway".

Edited by MESmith

I did this back two years ago and it took me about 11 hours. Left early in the morning and got there around 6PM. Slept a night at the Nong Khai Grand Hotel for around 1,200 THB. They drove me to the border the next morning and allowed me to leave my car parked there for the time I stayed in Vientiane for free. It was fun and painless :)

Have you driven this route? Just wondering whether it's quicker to drive down to Tak, then cut across to Phitsanulok on hwy 12? I need to drive to Friendship bridge next month, so open to suggestions. How is hwy 11 now? It's an extra 100km via Tak, but "superhighway".

I have been driving this route for over 4 years from Chiang Mai to Surin about 3 times a year. i have taken different routs just to see the country. The best over all for going from Chiang Mai to Nong Khai IMO for time, safety and convenience is Highway 11 south to Highway 12 east to Highway 2 north to Nong Khai. about 760 Kilometers 12 hours. There is some construction down around Den Chai but it should not hold you up. I have seen major improvements on the highways that I have recommended. Allot of it is 4 lane and some is just 2 way and mountain but good road. I always make sure I have a full tank of fuel when I leave Phitsanulok Its about 300 Kilometer from there to Khon Kaen and there are a few spots of 30 Kilometers that are dry. Oh and the scenery Is out of this world going over the mountains and threw the National forest. Take your time and enjoy.

• Like 1

I have been driving this route for over 4 years from Chiang Mai to Surin about 3 times a year. i have taken different routs just to see the country. The best over all for going from Chiang Mai to Nong Khai IMO for time, safety and convenience is Highway 11 south to Highway 12 east to Highway 2 north to Nong Khai. about 760 Kilometers 12 hours. There is some construction down around  Den Chai but it should not hold you up. I have seen major improvements on the highways that I have recommended. Allot of it is 4 lane and some is just 2 way and mountain but good road. I always make sure I have a full tank of fuel when I leave Phitsanulok Its about 300 Kilometer from there to Khon Kaen and there are a few spots of 30 Kilometers that are dry. Oh and the scenery Is out of this world going over the mountains and threw the National forest. Take your time and enjoy.

Thanks, appreciate the input.  :)

Have you driven this route?  Just wondering whether it's quicker to drive down to Tak, then cut across to Phitsanulok on hwy 12?  I need to drive to Friendship bridge next month, so open to suggestions.   How is hwy 11 now?  It's an extra 100km via Tak, but "superhighway".

In early August, hwy 11 from Chiang Mai to P-lok was is much better shape than hwy 1 to Tak. Both had some construction but the road was smoother and the traffic lighter on 11 (I drove both a few days apart). I did the 11-12-2 route from Chiang Mai to Nong Khai in March 09. It took me about 12 hours including 2 meal stops. East from P-lok over the mountains through Petchabun was indeed very beautiful.

Anybody know where I can get the required "car passport" in Chiang Mai so I can drive straight into Vientiane?

Try the Land Transportation Department (LTD) on the Hang Dong Road on your left just before Big C. Same place for driver license and vehicle license.

Anybody know where I can get the required "car passport" in Chiang Mai so I can drive straight into Vientiane?

Try the Land Transportation Department (LTD) on the Hang Dong Road on your left just before Big C. Same place for driver license and vehicle license.

You will need a residence letter your passport the blue book photocopies of all and I think but am not sure a photo. It is usually ready a day or so later.