Printer To Print Family Snaps

prk888

Like many people all our photo's seem to vanish onto the Laptop never to see the light of day again. Then after a bit of research my husband bought me a Canon Selpyh CP760 from Power Buy in Central Festival. Its a compact photo printer, just put your memory card in select Image and off you go. The paper and ink comes in boxes giving roughly 108 pictures.Was brill at Xmas to take a family photos, print it off and double check that everyone was smiling, if not just do it again, So good that two of my girlfriends also bought them.

The Canon Pixma range of printers are very good for photo printing. I've just retired a Pixma IP4200 after 4 years fairly heavy use - print head kaput - and have replaced it with a Pixma IP4760, which is also giving excellent results.

Photo printing is not cheap though, especially if you use OEM photo paper, which I don't think is really necessary. You can buy 3rd party paper very much more cheaply. I would recommend using OEM ink cartridges though as 3rd party products don't seem to give as good results and have the potential of causing print-head problems.

You have the option of refilling empty cartridges - I recommend Ink Man on Pattaya Klang. Never had any problems with his service, which is more than can be said for the refill station that I used in TukCom on one occasion! There are some issues with using refilled cartridges these days as all manufacturers are getting a bit clever and are making things a bit more difficult.

There is also the option of fitting a continuous ink supply system - CISS - but this is probably only worthwhile if you do a lot of photo printing and do it frequently. CISS are not designed for occasional use.

If what you are doing is occasional batch printing of holiday photos and the like you might find it more economical to use a photo-printing service.

DM

No home desktop printer will ever match the quality of photos printed using the professional equipment in a digital photoshop. Get your important pictures done there and buy a cheap and simple printer for all your other needs. I got a Canon Pixma iP1980 in Tukcom 9 months ago and had ink tanks fitted to it. The total cost was 2000 Baht, and the quality of the output is excellent. No need to worry about ink costs any more, either. Once you have a printer with ink tanks, you will kick yourself for all the money you ever wasted on inkjet cartridges.

The Canon Pixma range of printers are very good for photo printing. I've just retired a Pixma IP4200 after 4 years fairly heavy use - print head kaput - and have replaced it with a Pixma IP4760, which is also giving excellent results.

Photo printing is not cheap though, especially if you use OEM photo paper, which I don't think is really necessary. You can buy 3rd party paper very much more cheaply. I would recommend using OEM ink cartridges though as 3rd party products don't seem to give as good results and have the potential of causing print-head problems.

You have the option of refilling empty cartridges - I recommend Ink Man on Pattaya Klang. Never had any problems with his service, which is more than can be said for the refill station that I used in TukCom on one occasion! There are some issues with using refilled cartridges these days as all manufacturers are getting a bit clever and are making things a bit more difficult.

There is also the option of fitting a continuous ink supply system - CISS - but this is probably only worthwhile if you do a lot of photo printing and do it frequently. CISS are not designed for occasional use.

If what you are doing is occasional batch printing of holiday photos and the like you might find it more economical to use a photo-printing service.

DM

We also bought Pixma IP4760 yesterday, but software only works in Thai...

Do you have the same problem?

DM

OK, I know what your problem is and here is the solution - for WINXP anyway:

Go into the Control Panel and open the 'Regional and Language Settings' option.

Under the 'Regional Options' tab make sure that 'Location' is NOT set to Thailand. Set this to some English language country like USA or UK.

Under the 'Advanced' tab make sure that the non-unicode program language is NOT set to Thai - set to English.

You will now find that when you run the Canon set-up from the CD everything will be in English. If you've already installed the Thai version you should probably uninstall this first.

After you have completed the installation - takes for ever - you can change back the settings that you altered, if you want Thai language support. The Canon printer driver - accessed from 'Settings' 'Printers and Faxes' will remain in English.

My IP4760 is up and running and seems fine. Slightly less convenient to use than the IP4200 that I had previously but this is just because duplex printing is now available and this means that plain paper is supposed to be fed from the cassette that sits under the printer - and sticks out - rather than from the normal tray at the rear. You can fiddle this but what you can't do is feed 6x4 photo paper from the cassette, as you could with the 4200. A small point really. Print quality is excellent - cost of prints to be assessed.

DM

DM

OK, I know what your problem is and here is the solution - for WINXP anyway:

Go into the Control Panel and open the 'Regional and Language Settings' option.

Under the 'Regional Options' tab make sure that 'Location' is NOT set to Thailand. Set this to some English language country like USA or UK.

Under the 'Advanced' tab make sure that the non-unicode program language is NOT set to Thai - set to English.

You will now find that when you run the Canon set-up from the CD everything will be in English. If you've already installed the Thai version you should probably uninstall this first.

After you have completed the installation - takes for ever - you can change back the settings that you altered, if you want Thai language support. The Canon printer driver - accessed from 'Settings' 'Printers and Faxes' will remain in English.

My IP4760 is up and running and seems fine. Slightly less convenient to use than the IP4200 that I had previously but this is just because duplex printing is now available and this means that plain paper is supposed to be fed from the cassette that sits under the printer - and sticks out - rather than from the normal tray at the rear. You can fiddle this but what you can't do is feed 6x4 photo paper from the cassette, as you could with the 4200. A small point really. Print quality is excellent - cost of prints to be assessed.

DM

Danish to English translation

You're right in everything you write. Thanks for the reply.

I think some may have problems if they do not have XP CD to install (Under the 'Advanced' tab make sure that the non-unicode program language is NOT seen two Thai - set to English.) My Xp asked for the CD there,

But I have a mixture of many mirrors of XP, Vista and Win 7 so I got it to work.

canuckamuck is right, when he writes: The photo places are cheaper, easier, and better.

But there is not the same opportunity of control and it is nice to be able to do at home. If you go to photo places you must be aware of how the image will be printed in relation to the format, if you choose boundless.

I can recommend the kodak shop at Big C north Pattaya 2 floor have fine print out there several times.

I have also be taken the trip from Pixma IP4200.

yes, and you can not feed 6x4 photo paper from the cassette, as you could with the 4200 (A small point really, you can load i think 20 6x4 photo paper at the tray at the rear)

and yes, Print quality is excellent - cost of prints to be assessed.

You're right in everything you write. Thanks for the your reply.

Afterthought I just wished I had read your response before I went back to the shop and advertised, but I learned Thai mentality there yesterday. You have to learn and understand if you want to live here.And i hope some others can use this info about software...

Danish to English translation

You're right in everything you write. Thanks for the reply.

I think some may have problems if they do not have XP CD to install (Under the 'Advanced' tab make sure that the non-unicode program language is NOT seen two Thai - set to English.) My Xp asked for the CD there,

But I have a mixture of many mirrors of XP, Vista and Win 7 so I got it to work.

canuckamuck is right, when he writes: The photo places are cheaper, easier, and better.

But there is not the same opportunity of control and it is nice to be able to do at home. If you go to photo places you must be aware of how the image will be printed in relation to the format, if you choose boundless.

I can recommend the kodak shop at Big C north Pattaya 2 floor have fine print out there several times.

I have also be taken the trip from Pixma IP4200.

yes, and you can not feed 6x4 photo paper from the cassette, as you could with the 4200 (A small point really, you can load i think 20 6x4 photo paper at the tray at the rear)

and yes, Print quality is excellent - cost of prints to be assessed.

You're right in everything you write. Thanks for the your reply.

Afterthought I just wished I had read your response before I went back to the shop and advertised, but I learned Thai mentality there yesterday. You have to learn and understand if you want to live here.And i hope some others can use this info about software...

I think that anyone who has experienced the language problem when installing the Canon driver with XP must have the Asian language pack already installed. There could be a problem in changing the language options to English only if English was not installed with XP in the first place. If a particular language is not already installed and is required then the XP set-up CD is needed. If the desired language is installed but not enabled the system gets it from the hard disc and the CD is not required.

I don't believe that the set-up problem only occurs with Canon as I remember having to switch languages when installing Nero - don't remember what version as it was a while ago. The software providers are trying to be too clever. OK, most people living in Thailand can understand Thai, obviously, but a significant percentage of computer users here do not have Thai as their native language and it's a bit short-sighted of the providers to assume that they do!

DM