Monk - Anybody been one or thought about it?

ThaiPauly

In the light of Lampard's post on religion, upon posting it would appear that almost 30% of respodants claim to have adopted Bhuddism as their chosen faith.

My question is have any of you been a Monk ? (as is commonplace for Thai men to join the order for at least a month of their lives), have you thought about it.? Would you DO IT? If Have you seriously considered it but decided against it then why?

I have seen many Farang Monk's whilst living here.

Some of them may be Thai Visa Members for all I know (or were)., but I am not asking about them, I am sure it would be totally innappropriate for them to reveal themselves (as we would all be doing rapid searches of all their previous posts-) Natuarally.-we are a nosey bunch :D

The "No Sex and No Booze " bit it goes without saying you cannot have either as a Bhuddist Monk, but you can have a smoke!! So if your response would be based on those factors its hardly worth responding (Guess now I have said that there will be hardly any responses to the thread ) :o

But I'd like to give it a whirl anyway

Cheers

TP

It's something I have thought about lot. I have a family so I don't know how long I could really go before I had to leave, but I have wanted to enter at least for a short time to learn few things.

Have you read Phra Farang: An English Monk in Thailand by Phra Peter Pannapadipo. It's an eye opener as far as some of the problems he faces being a monk inThailand. He said that other monks really hated him when he was in Bangkok but once he was transfered to a village things got better. I konw people learn a great deal when they enter a Zen order or other branches of Buddism, but according to Phra Farang it depends on what temple you end up at that determines if you learn anything at all. They may just ignore you.

For anyone thinking about being a monk in Thailand you should read this book, it gives the good and the bad. My father-in-law gave it to me when I told I would like to be a monk.

We did have a topic on this going a while ago in The Buddhism section, will move this one to it. You can go in for a week if you want, my wife and an Abbot have this organised already.

When you say wife and Abbot do mean she is going in or you? I have heard that women can now go in the order after hundreds of years being banned.

Yes Thaibebop I have read the book you mention twice. I have also met Ajarn, his mentor twice, once in London and once in Bangkok, had to travel from CM to see him as he is based in the UK as you know. But it was WORTH IT

He gave my Peter's telephone number as I was very keen to talk to him about his experiences as I was considering enrolloing for a month. Then my Back gave out, and it all kicked off the weekend I went to Wat Manahamot to meet Ajarn (I dont understand that)?. That was at the end of February and I have only just had two back ops so there really is not much point in me persuiing it any further as there is no way now I could sleep on a very basic bed or even get into any kind of meditating position. Ajarn and I still correspond via e-mail

When I am well and 100% right I will try again.

TP

The Thais have plenty of stories about people becoming ill or having accidents just before they plan to ordain, and they have a whole set of reasons why this happens. Basically it's supposed to mean the person's not ready -- i.e., not enough parami (perfections) yet. I'm not saying I believe them, but it's an interesting cultural/religious concept.

About a week ago I helped a Thai friend ordain for the full phansaa (rains retreat, roughly three months). For an entire month before the day he was scheduled to ordain he was paranoid about taking long car trips, drinking too much, etc. He lived an almost monkish life that month, in fear something would happen to prevent him from ordaining.

I myself was all set to ordain in a Burmese monastery in Sagaing in the year 2000. The day before I was supposed to fly to Rangoon, a close friend was in a serious bus accident in Laos. Close to dying she was placed in an ICU at a hospital in Udon, and as she had no other friends or relatives in Thailand, I flew to Udon and stayed with her for most of the 17 days I was supposed to be a monk in Burma. My preceptor in Sagaing had only that 17-day window in which to ordain and teach for that entire year. I haven't had the chance to ordain since then. However the experience of watching a friend hovering between life and death was itself some heavy dharma for me at the time. Fate works in mysterious ways.

Yes Thaibebop I have read the book you mention twice. I have also met Ajarn, his mentor twice, once in London and once in Bangkok, had to travel from CM to see him as he is based in the UK as you know. But it was WORTH IT

He gave my Peter's telephone number as I was very keen to talk to him about his experiences as I was considering enrolloing for a month. Then my Back gave out, and it all kicked off the weekend I went to Wat Manahamot to meet Ajarn  (I dont understand that)?. That was at the end of February and I have only just had two back ops so there really is not much point in me persuiing it any further as there is no way now  I could sleep on a very basic bed or even get into any kind of meditating position. Ajarn and I still correspond via e-mail

TP

Forgive if I sound like a little kid, but, man that would be so cool to meet either of them! :o

How lucky you are.

We did have a topic on this going a while ago in The Buddhism section, will move this one to it. You can go in for a week if you want, my wife and an Abbot have this organised already.

When you say wife and Abbot do mean she is going in or you? I have heard that women can now go in the order after hundreds of years being banned.

me

me

If you are willing to tell me I would happy to listen to your stay in the temple.

He gave my Peter's telephone number as I was very keen to talk to him about his experiences as I was considering enrolloing for a month. Then my Back gave out, and it all kicked off the weekend I went to Wat Manahamot to meet Ajarn  (I dont understand that)?. That was at the end of February and I have only just had two back ops so there really is not much point in me persuiing it any further as there is no way now  I could sleep on a very basic bed or even get into any kind of meditating position. Ajarn and I still correspond via e-mail

TP

Forgive if I sound like a little kid, but, man that would be so cool to meet either of them! :o

How lucky you are.

I have decided that i want to ordain (despite my physical drawbacks) I will pm you with more details as they emerge. I cant imagine being without my wife for 3 months- but I HAVE to do it, I dont mind admitting I am not perfect by any means, but I want to learn how to be a better man. I am a dollar millionare, but it CERTAINLY does not mean that Porche''s and Mansions make you a better person. I want to be humble and maybee attone for the way I made my fortune, I am sure you can empathise with that

Your new freind

Paul

If you need a custodian for your dollars while in the temple, I'd be happy to help you out. :o

Seriously - wish you all the best of luck with your decision Paul, and hope to hear about your experiences once you are back with us laymen again.

I have to say I am a bit surprised at your knowledge about buddhism, sabaijai, still not having ordained. Is it all self-studies?

TP

How lucky you are.

I have decided that i want to ordain (despite my physical drawbacks) I will pm you with more details as they emerge. I cant imagine being without my wife for 3 months- but I HAVE to do it, I dont mind admitting I am not perfect by any means, but I want to learn how to be a better man. I am a dollar millionare, but it CERTAINLY does not mean that Porche''s and Mansions make you a better person. I want to be humble and maybee attone for the way I made my fortune, I am sure you can empathise with that

Your new freind

Paul

I salute you sir. The personnal quest for betterment is the upmost worth while task one individual could undertake. I wish you the best in this endeavour and hope that one find what we all seek.

Equally a freind to you,

Shaun

ThaiPauly

there was an occasion some years ago that I considered ordaining in Thailand. But upon having a serious accident on a motorcycle, I unfortunately had to have a leg amputated. I wrote to my friend Phra Peter Pannadpadipo from hospital, asking whether this would make any difference to me taking the yellow robe.

It was much to my supriseand personal pain, that he wrote back saying that having lost a limb that it was now impossible. I agonised over this, but having thoroughly checked it out, it is indeed the case. In Thailand at least. It is impossible to ordain even with webbed fingers,I am reliably informed !

But a saying that we have is about turning poison into medicine. That is, out of our adversities we can prove the strength of our own innate Buddha nature by overcoming these obstacles and leading happyand fulfilled lives. Wisdom, Courage and Compassion are the fruits of our practice.

I subsequently returned to my original and initial Buddhist practice (Nichiren Daishonin) and have never felt happier ,more fulfilled and growing in Buddhism than I do now.

That's my experience. And perhaps Phra Peter was closer to the truth than perhaps even he realised when he advised me that it wasn't necessary to take the yellow robe in order to follow the Buddhist path.

Edited for typo errors.

Edited by Gohonzon

ThaiPauly

there was an occasion some years ago that I considered ordaining in Thailand. But upon having a serious accident on a motorcycle, I unfortunately had to have a leg amputated. I wrote to my friend Phra Peter Pannadpadipo from hospital, asking whether this would make any difference to me taking the yellow robe.

It was much to my supriseand personal pain, that he wrote back saying that having lost a limb that it was now impossible. I agonised over this, but having thoroughly checked it out, it is indeed the case. In Thailand at least. It is impossible to ordain even with webbed fingers,I am reliably informed !

But a saying that we have is about turning poison into medicine. That is, out of our adversities we can prove the strength of our own innate Buddha nature by overcoming these obstacles and leading happyand fulfilled lives. Wisdom, Courage and Compassion are the fruits of our practice.

I subsequently returned to my original and initial Buddhist practice (Nichiren Daishonin) and have never felt happier ,more fulfilled and growing in Buddhism than I do now.

That's my experience. And perhaps Phra Peter was closer to the truth than perhaps even he realised when he advised me that it wasn't necessary to take the yellow robe in order to follow the Buddhist path.

Edited for typo errors.

That's a good leason Gohonzon. What you just said is really the heart of Buddism. It's what you do everyday, every second that determines our Karma. Whatever helps you to walk the 8 fold path is what you do. :o

If you need a custodian for your dollars while in the temple, I'd be happy to help you out. :o

Seriously - wish you all the best of luck with your decision Paul, and hope to hear about your experiences once you are back with us laymen again.

I have to say I am a bit surprised at your knowledge about buddhism, sabaijai, still not having ordained. Is it all self-studies?

Yes, I have read about as much as I can about it. I just had an e-mail from Ajahn, he is in Thailand now and I will be meeting him shortly to discuss the implications and find out if with my bcak condition I will be allowed to ordain

TP

How lucky you are.

Your new freind

Paul

By now you have my PMs, Paul. I too wish you the best in this.

Recently I helped out with a Thai friend's ordination in Pai, and met with his preceptor - a well-respected abbot at a local wat there - a couple of months in advance to make arrangements. As an aside to the arranging, the abbot and I had a long chat about how one finds the 'right time' to ordain. He pointed out that if we wait until all our 'business' is finished, we might not ever ordain, or become too old to be able to practice fruitfully. He was talking about me of course. :D

He also said despite that, conditions must be 'ripe' for it to be a successful experience. No one besides yourself and perhaps your preceptor (assuming one with wisdom, etc) will know when that arises.

I'm concerned you may be rushing into it a little quickly. Perhaps you should give your back a couple of months to stabilise.

There's also the possibility temples here might not accept you, if it's obvious you are debilitated in any way. The basic prerequisites for ordination are that you aren't in debt, that you have your parents permission and that you are in good health.

I'm not trying to discourage you, only make you aware of these factors. Do you think you can physically perform the duties of a monk? These include - at a minimum - arising early and chanting with the other monks every morning; walking up to several km to receive alms food; meditation; light work; and evening chanting.

Self study is my current mode, but years ago I pursued Buddhist studies at the graduate level (it was my 2nd concentration for an MA) in the USA, with Thai, Sanskrit and Pali as my elective and required languages (for the PhD you needed seven languages!). When I first came to Thailand in the late 70s I studied meditation weekly for a year with HH the Supreme Patriarch at Wat Bowon in Bangkok - that was back when he still taught laypeople, and farangs were welcome. I also studied abhidhamma sporadically for a year with Aj. Sujin, probably Thailand's foremost lay dhamma teacher. I learned a lot from Aj Sujin but it was tough going, and I'm still digesting what I learned from her many years ago; for a taste sign up for the Dhamma Study Group's Yahoo egroup

DSG).

I've done a fair amount of English-Thai translation for Thai monks in Thailand and the US, the most well-known was the Ven Buddhadasa, whom I worked with in the early 80s. I semi-regularly spend time staying in Thai and Burmese monasteries for 3-15 days at a time on retreat, or else helping with both farang and Thai ordinations (in Thailand only).

I also studied Buddhism as an undergrad, during the Indochina War era, and translated writings by Buddhadasa spurred me to come to Thailand my first time in the 70s. It remains one of the main things holding me here, though I love living in Thailand now for lots of other reasons, too. Yet I still haven't ordained, though I've come close several times. I'm still planning to do it one of these decades. :D

I have thought about it many times over the years in Thailand but was either never sober enough, and more recently never had the finances or time.

The nearest I got was years ago doing a 10 day retreat at Suan Mohk, Aj Buddatassa Bhikku's place.

One day I'm sure I will do it for a short time, maybe when my kids have grown up, and I'm an old codger, I will do it longer. It's something I have always wanted since being about 17.

Thai Pauly, good on you for trying to better yourself. I wish you well.

NN

Self study is my current mode, but years ago I pursued Buddhist studies at the graduate level (it was my 2nd concentration for an MA) in the USA, with Thai, Sanskrit and Pali as my elective and required languages (for the PhD you needed seven languages!). When I first came to Thailand in the late 70s I studied meditation weekly for a year with HH the Supreme Patriarch at Wat Bowon in Bangkok - that was back when he still taught laypeople, and farangs were welcome. I also studied abhidhamma sporadically for a year with Aj. Sujin, probably Thailand's foremost lay dhamma teacher. I learned a lot from Aj Sujin but it was tough going, and I'm still digesting what I learned from her many years ago; for a taste sign up for the Dhamma Study Group's Yahoo egroup

DSG).

I've done a fair amount of English-Thai translation for Thai monks in Thailand and the US, the most well-known was the Ven Buddhadasa, whom I worked with in the early 80s. I semi-regularly spend time staying in Thai and Burmese monasteries for 3-15 days at a time on retreat, or else helping with both farang and Thai ordinations (in Thailand only).

I also studied Buddhism as an undergrad, during the Indochina War era, and translated writings by Buddhadasa spurred me to come to Thailand my first time in the 70s. It remains one of the main things holding me here, though I love living in Thailand now for lots of other reasons, too. Yet I still haven't ordained, though I've come close several times. I'm still planning to do it one of these decades. :D

Impressive. Your the kind of guy who needs to write a book. I stopped learning Buddism from books as here in America it's all chicken soup for the soul crap and not really Buddism. Someone like you with such working knowledge and experience with people deeply involed would be a breathe of fresh air. After that post I wish I was in Thailand, I ask you out for a drink if you'd share some of that wisdom.

I ordained for a while, worked in temples and mediataion centres for a while, been on lots of meditation retreats, and readhe suttas from front to back. Personally I always recommend that a good meditation retreat, for a few weeks or a few months is better than ordaining in most cases as you will be with a decent teacher who speaks and teaches in English. Thai monks and monasteries are fine if you speak the language and have gone through all the cultural adjustment problems, but it will be more about endless chanting and wondering how and why monks do things the way they do and less about dhamma practice. Still, if you are game then give it a try.

DSG).

Impressive. Your the kind of guy who needs to write a book. I stopped learning Buddism from books as here in America it's all chicken soup for the soul crap and not really Buddism. Someone like you with such working knowledge and experience with people deeply involed would be a breathe of fresh air. After that post I wish I was in Thailand, I ask you out for a drink if you'd share some of that wisdom.

Knowledge is one thing, wisdom another, not sure I have all that much of the latter. There is plenty of wisdom in existing books and in living teachers, so I don't really see that I could add anything.

We're getting off-topic here, Bebop, how about we get back to ThaiPauly and his situation? We can start another topic on the merits of my getting into Buddhist publishing ...

Meadish - welcome to the Buddhism forum, we could use a mind like yours around here. Hope I satisfied your curiosity.

I ordained for a while, worked in temples and mediataion centres for a while, been on lots of meditation retreats, and readhe suttas from front to back. Personally I always recommend that a good meditation retreat, for  a few weeks or a few months is better than ordaining  in most cases as you will be with a decent teacher who speaks and teaches in English. Thai monks and monasteries are fine if you speak the language and have gone through all the cultural adjustment problems, but it will be more about endless chanting and wondering how and why monks do things the way they do and less about dhamma practice. Still, if you are game then give it a try.

Well said. I think in ThaiPauly's case his back issues might be more adaptable to a retreat than ordination and living as a monk.

It's a very personal choice in the end, isn't it? Some people do feel a real compulsion to ordain, and certainly from the general Thai perspective "one day as a monk is worth 100 years as a householder" (loosely paraphrased from Taungpulu Sayadaw, who was Burmese) and all that.

For another viewpoint, here's an interview with dhamma teacher Joseph Goldstein where he explains why he never ordained.

To Ordain or Not to Ordain

Obviously there is no definitive answer for everyone.

I've been thinking about ordination for a long time myself. Just didn't have a strong urge and push-in-the-back to do it and not all that confident if I could put up with the temple life after all these years of being accustomed to the luxury, convenience and comfort of living a modern life. I don't at all mind no sex or no booze for three months though. And part of me is afraid of change, afraid that I'll come back to ordinary life as a different man. Maybe my first ordination will be when my now-in-70's father or mother dies. I've seen some Thai men ordained at the occasion of funeral of one of their family members (usually parent). I like the idea of the orange robe the ordained son wears appearing in samsara, guiding/leading the astray soul of the dead to nirvana or rebirth as a human. How long is the appropriate duration of ordination for making merit over somebody's death BTW? 49 days?

And about physical disability barring ordination Ghozon mentioned..... I do have a condition where I have to take synthetic hormone (ADH) puffs to my nose a few times a day. Without it, I suffer from frequent urination and excessive thirst, therefore no concentration for meditation (or whatever I do for that matter). It is an irreversible condition so I have to use this medication for the rest of my life. Does anybody know if it's OK to bring my daily medication and keep it with me at all times while in ordination?

Also does anybody know a temple with Japanese monk somewhere? I know Ajarn Mitsuo at a temple in Sai Yok (Kanchanaburi) but is there more?

Edited by Nordlys

And about physical disability barring ordination Ghozon mentioned.....  I do have a condition where I have to take synthetic hormone (ADH) puffs to my nose a few times a day.  Without it, I suffer from frequent urination and excessive thirst, therefore no concentration for meditation (or whatever I do for that matter).  It is an irreversible condition so I have to use this medication for the rest of my life.  Does anybody know if it's OK to bring my daily medication and keep it with me at all times while in ordination? 

Hi Nordlys

there seems to be so many rules covering ordination, that I personally couldn't comment. Although it may well be the case that having an existing, chronic condition may exclude someone from ordination in the Thai Theravada tradition.

I think that the place to look is:

Buddhist Monastic Discipline, Volume II

Also a fuller and quite authorative discussion on Buddhism and disability can be found on:

http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showtopic=7937&

As you'll guess , I'm BBB on that thread.

Good fortune

Edited:

The link to Buddhist Monastic Discipline doesn't seem to work here. But it does on the E-Sangha thread, where it's referred to.

Edited by Gohonzon

I have taken on-board everything that has been said and had an e-mail from Ajahn and he as well as sabaijai have indicated that while not wishing to prevent me from Ordaining, I should get my physical problems sorted first. It is only a week today since my last Spinal Op. I went to a Temple today, not only was the journey painful as it is the first time I have been in a car (wife driving) every bump in th eroad was painful, and ten minutes sitting in various positions praying was a nitemare.

I will give it a week or two then go to a Temple to learn meditation and see if I can help out some.

Its a bit dissapointing , but it is impossible to concentrate when one is in constant discomfort.

Will keep you posted

TP

PS Thanks for all the constructive comments folks, really appreciated.

PS, sorry if I have let anybody down.

I even shaved my  head this morning, what an idiot.

It has been a pretty warm rainy season this year, the shaved head ought feel cooler at least. :o

It does Sabaijai, although sitting in my Sala discussing things with my Wife tonight- I had to put Mosquito repelant on it, and I look a right twit with a tanned face and a white head- Still Mai Pben Rai. i dont really worry about my appearance as it counts for nothing, what counts is what is in my heart

Yours in Dhama

Paul