Immigration Police Ordered To Facilitate Services

george

That immigration office in BKK, located in Suan Plu, sucks. With all my respect to you all fellow board members, that's all I gotta say. I remember going to that office and having to wait hours, besides having to face the fact that I could see those bitches (the girls who work there) playin with kids while us poor farangs waiting in line for the ###### sake of the help and attention. And the worst is that we can't complain to/about these individuals, as they are hired by themselves basically they are their own bossess. It seems like they are on a holiday enjoying a drink and watching TV while we wait like dumbasses.

Amazing, I have never seen this in eleven years and around 50 visits. But if you have the attitude ###### shown above, I am not suprised they ignored you.

For Thais the word for work "Tham Nahn", translated means "play at work". Work has to be Sanuk. Sanuk is having fun at work and you were definitely not fun.

The immigration officers have staggered breaks on the job, as they do not now close at lunch time. So some are not serving you because they are on their break.

If you treat them with respect, they will treat you with respect.

Not true... Some are very arrogant. I once send my secretary (who is a Thai) to Suan Plu for some paperwork, and she came back crying (literally). She said she had no idea that these Thais can be so unpolite and arrogant. She even refused to ever go back there. At least one Thai person now knows how some of us farangs feel about going to Suan Phlu... unfortunately now you have to show up in person there and just enjoy being treated like dirt... Luckely its only once every 6 months for me.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a ###### crybaby.....for chrisake, if you don't like it in Los, get your ass back to where you came from. You're a guest , not a citizen of the country. You're not obligated to suffer the indignities you claim you're going through. If you don't like it.....LEAVE. Otherwise just quit complaining, and ENJOY, like the rest of us. It's guys like you that give us ALL a bad reputation. Everybody on this earth is not quite as fast, and obviously, as efficient as you are, so make allowances please, and ENJOY.....ENJOY.....ENJOY.....!  :o

Hi Ernie, all,

Baloney! Baloney, baloney, baloney, salami!!!!

Where on earth did this this bullshit of being "guests" ever come from? Yeah, we're "guests" in the same way customers at hotels are referred to as "guests".

Look, concept of "guest" is a nice, polite, poetic sentiment. It has no meaning. It has nothing to do with reality. We are more like customers or suppliers who bring foreign exchange into the country or provide other services than guests. Besides, implied in the concept of "guest" is that you treat your guest in a honored and special way!

And while we are at it, kindly cite some source to support your assertion that Crybaby's only options are to complain or leave LOS. Why the h*ll shouldn't he complain? Because you don't like it? Oh, I know! Because he is a "guest" and guests shouldn't complain. Right? Isn't that elegant!

This same "argument" is repeated over and over again. I have listened to it for years, and it makes no more sense to me now that it did the first time I heard it. Now, if you want to suggest that people would be better off if they did not needlessly upset themselves over circumstances which they cannot control, and over which complaining can sometimes bring negative consequences, then at least that is the beginning of a rational discussion. Not perpetuating mass hypnosis!

Aloha,

Rex

Edited by rexall

I could see those bitches (the girls who work there)

I simply showed up as an innocent farang who needs to get that visa done. Now if they gonna work on a serious job like this one and behave like children, then its not my fault. These bitches who work there are arrogant, unwilling to help and LAZY. That's the word yeeeah.

A bit of an issue with ladies??????? :D

seriously lacking motherly love as a child?????? :o

innocent farang?? :D

And who said I treated them disrespectfully??

bitches!!!! hmmmmmmm!! :D

I could see those bitches (the girls who work there)

I simply showed up as an innocent farang who needs to get that visa done. Now if they gonna work on a serious job like this one and behave like children, then its not my fault. These bitches who work there are arrogant, unwilling to help and LAZY. That's the word yeeeah.

A bit of an issue with ladies??????? :D

seriously lacking motherly love as a child?????? :o

innocent farang?? :D

And who said I treated them disrespectfully??

bitches!!!! hmmmmmmm!! :D

The name say's it all -- THUG - Nice attitude - sounds like a definite loser to me -

Apart from the last couple of posts (!), some excellent comments made in this thread.

To me it seems so easy to implement a system whereby all the expats who have to report or renew every 90 days. All it needs is a small office in each province (either at the immigration or town hall) where you go in, show your papers and providing all is in order you pay the fees and get your stamp. Just leave once a year to get a "fresh" visa.

Currently I don't have to leave the country as I'm on the new 4 month stamps which coincides with my WP and I only need to go to Imm. every 120 days and from November I will get a full 12 months stamp.

However those who have to leave the country are spending money in neighbouring countries. With regards to expats who are working here (legally) Mao Tse Taxin is actually doing a good job but he needs to have a re-think about the cash that's flowing out of Thailand.

As one earlier post stated, 1,500 Baht for a visa bought in Laos/Cambodia from thousands of expats...a fair lump of cash...!

[However those who have to leave the country are spending money in neighbouring countries. With regards to expats who are working here (legally) Mao Tse Taxin is actually doing a good job but he needs to have a re-think about the cash that's flowing out of Thailand.

As one earlier post stated, 1,500 Baht for a visa bought in Laos/Cambodia from thousands of expats...a fair lump of cash...!

would it be worth thinking about people who have to go to the border/out of the country are spending additional (to normal expenses) money in Thailand, as is for transportation to the border, flying out - maybe someone is considering this income higher than the 1500bt fee?

That immigration office in BKK, located in Suan Plu, sucks. With all my respect to you all fellow board members, that's all I gotta say. I remember going to that office and having to wait hours, besides having to face the fact that I could see those bitches (the girls who work there) playin with kids while us poor farangs waiting in line for the ###### sake of the help and attention. And the worst is that we can't complain to/about these individuals, as they are hired by themselves basically they are their own bossess. It seems like they are on a holiday enjoying a drink and watching TV while we wait like dumbasses.

Amazing, I have never seen this in eleven years and around 50 visits. But if you have the attitude ###### shown above, I am not suprised they ignored you.

For Thais the word for work "Tham Nahn", translated means "play at work". Work has to be Sanuk. Sanuk is having fun at work and you were definitely not fun.

The immigration officers have staggered breaks on the job, as they do not now close at lunch time. So some are not serving you because they are on their break.

If you treat them with respect, they will treat you with respect.

Treat them with respect?They treat u like a dog,they know exactly that u want something and u need their approval to get it,and in that way they are treating u,This is really bad and it won't change until they clear the rules.If u need a Visaextension in Europe and u have ur papers in order u have nothing to fear and u dont have to kiss the A.... of anybody,here it doesnt matter if ur papers are in order or not,if the oficer doesnt like u,u have no chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Immigration Bureau will not scrap the "border runs", as it was not supposed to be "possible to do" it in the first place.

This sounds very cryptic, George! What on earth is it supposed to mean?

How can it "not be possible"??? It is my understanding that according to the terms of my "B" visa I am required to leave the Kingdom every 90 days or face fines and other legal problems. The only exception to that in my case was duriing a couple of years when I had a registered company and work permit.

Aloha,

Rex

. . . would it be worth thinking about people who have to go to the border/out of the country are spending additional (to normal expenses) money in Thailand, as is for transportation to the border, flying out - maybe someone is considering this income higher than the 1500bt fee?

By "additional money" do you happen to mean 2,500 bahtski per head to those farang guys who are running vans to the PoiPet border for "visa runs"?

Aloha,

Rex

I have a BIG wish. Get rid of the 're-entry permit'! Or, at least process it together with the visa. As it is now, it's just another form to fill in, pay some money and wait in another queue. I don't mind paying the fee, but it should be done together with - and not in addition to - getting your visa processed.

In Malaysia, once you get the one year visa it it good for as many journeys as you want

during the year.

At the old airport they even had a special lane for permit holders, to avoid the Tourist queues,

but that has gone with the advent of the new airport.

The Immigration Bureau will not scrap the "border runs", as it was not supposed to be "possible to do" it in the first place.

The former Commissioner of the Immigration Bureau was a big fan and a member of our forum, and we welcome the new Commissioner to join thaivisa as well.

Good luck with the improvements!

It will be wonderful news if the new Commissioner joins thaivisa, however we will have to make it a litle easier for him to do so by avoiding Thailand bashing in a vitriolic and often unfair manner.

Constructive criticism is absolutely necessary and I am sure the Authorities can listen to good and fair critique.

Thailand is still a Third World country with a long way to go. We have to be patient and always regard the glass as half full rather than half empty.

Hi Ernie, all,

Where on earth did this this bullshit of being "guests" ever come from? Yeah, we're "guests" in the same way customers at hotels are referred to as "guests".

Look, concept of "guest" is a nice, polite, poetic sentiment. It has no meaning. It has nothing to do with reality. We are more like customers or suppliers who bring foreign exchange into the country or provide other services than guests. Besides, implied in the concept of "guest" is that you treat your guest in a honored and special way!

And while we are at it, kindly cite some source to support your assertion that Crybaby's only options are to complain or leave LOS. Why the h*ll shouldn't he complain? Because you don't like it? Oh, I know! Because he is a "guest" and guests shouldn't complain. Right? Isn't that elegant!

This same "argument" is repeated over and over again. I have listened to it for years, and it makes no more sense to me now that it did the first time I heard it. Now, if you want to suggest that people would be better off if they did not needlessly upset themselves over circumstances which they cannot control, and over which complaining can sometimes bring negative consequences, then at least that is the beginning of a rational discussion. Not perpetuating mass hypnosis!

Aloha,

Rex

Hi Rex, guest or not, if that guy doesn't like it, then he should go home. We farangs are guests in this kingdom, by entering it we abide the rules. There is a saying: Different countries, different rules ! And if one don't like the rules, that contain the so called "sanook"-factor, then that one should leave. Very simple, very effective! Abiding the rules does not only relate to the written, but also to the non-written rules, such as "djai yen yen" and more. If one can't behave appropriate (and such misbehavior is shown by the guy, considering his expressions here online), then Thailand is certainly the wrong country. Misbehaving isn't tolerated, not at all and nowhere in the world.

Regards

H.

I too have had bad experiences at the bangkok office of immigration. The biggest problem being the fact that no two officers want the same documentation from you.

IF you need addidtional documentation and get sent away, the next time you go in the next officer you get won't want the docs you now have but something else completely different. It does seem at times like they do this on purpose.

another issue is the fact that Thai goverment deparments dont communicate with each other, the office upstairs for WP visa's has no idea what the other derpartments are needing or doing and vise versa ..Very fustrating!

Greg

Edited by griser

How about making work of the 5-year Non-Immigrant visa?

There has been lots of talkng about that, but nothing changed in reality.

Except for the buyers of a Thaksin Elite card.

This would surely take a lot of work out the Immigration Office and lot's of frustration for some others.

Another remark: why is there not an Immigration Office in all big cities with lots of tourists/immigrants?

Nakhon Ratchasima has become a city for many retirees to live in, but still no Immigration Office

I for one, wouldn't mind to pat the bus fare from Ratchasima to Grungthep and back to the local Immigration Officer.

Coalminer

Last time I went to Suan Plu was for 1 year extension, beginning of June. I was polite, smiled, said thank you and was in and out in 19 minutes. The guy next to me kept looking at his watch and staring back at the officer processing the paperwork. He would stare at his watch and sigh, tap his foot and mutter under his breath, tried to stare down the paperwork guy again. The officer calmly took this guys papers, turned around and placed them on the desk behind him where no one was sitting. I would have done the same thing. It's my experience that if you walk in with an attitude, the immigration people pick up on it, just the way I do. If you are polite and respectful there usually is no problem.

We have to be patient and always regard the glass as half full rather than half empty.

Right on Bruvva...!

We all have our little "funny 5 minutes" when things can get get a touch annoying here in our little corner of paradise...

However a gesture of friendship or a quick look at your surroundings will always brings you out of it. For those who constantly moan about this and that remember you are not in prison, you don't have to be here.

If you don't like it.........

Obviously, some people have been kindly treated at Suan Phlu, though far from all. I was actually short-changed. I gave 1,000 Baht to the woman behind the counter to pay a 500 Baht fee, and change was not given. When I pointed this out to her, she got angry and did not want to accept my papers or do anything.....

I gave up, no use to complain to her superior as they all support each other. :o

I have never had any problems with immigration in all the years I've been coming here.

there was a couple of times in the past when I had to pay a 100 baht "fee". but I haven't experienced that for a long time.

still, they have been treating me with as much courtesy as is to be expected.

in fact, the service has improved immensely from the way it was 10 years ago.

back then, there were hardly any signs in english. you just wandered around trying to figure things out. hehehe.

you should have experienced the traffic before the skytrain was built. man, you would really feel fortunate now if you did so.

This fall under the 60-20-20 of Thailand.

80% of what you hear in Thailand is accurate information,

20% has varying degrees of accuracy, and

20% is just bull.

really now lets see how the numbers add up. first it is 60-20-20 then it is 80-20-20.

Ho hum. so that comes out to 110% right or wrong. Tsk Tsk.

Daveyo

Hope with the new ruling they will not charge extra other than the visa fee for chinese passport....

Immigration police ordered to facilitate services 

BANGKOK: -- Acting immigration police chief, Pol. Maj. Gen. Suwat Thamrongsrisakul, has ordered some 100 heads of immigration police checkpoints nationwide to speed up their works, especially on providing services to foreign tourists.

With an aim to restructure as well as changing the image of Immigration Police Bureau, Pol. Maj. Gen. Suwat who was recently appointed acting the agency chief yesterday told chiefs of immigration checkpoints that services must be carried out faster by eliminating unnecessary procedures, for example, extension of tourist visa.

He said students would be recruited to assist in service operations and to release vital information through a computerised system, which would benefit both Thais and foreigners. Outsiders will also be invited to scrutinize operations of immigration police with an objective to prevent corrupt practices within the agency.

The newly appointed immigration police commander denied that he was involved in the transfer of his predecessor Pol. Lt. Gen. Amarin Niemsakul.

--TNA 2005-07-17

Hi Ernie, all,

Aloha,

Rex

Hi Rex, guest or not, if that guy doesn't like it, then he should go home. We farangs are guests in this kingdom, by entering it we abide the rules. There is a saying: Different countries, different rules ! And if one don't like the rules, that contain the so called "sanook"-factor, then that one should leave. Very simple, very effective! Abiding the rules does not only relate to the written, but also to the non-written rules, such as "djai yen yen" and more. If one can't behave appropriate (and such misbehavior is shown by the guy, considering his expressions here online), then Thailand is certainly the wrong country. Misbehaving isn't tolerated, not at all and nowhere in the world.

Regards

H.

Why would you even call someone a guest if you're not even THAI ? Ive been living in Thailand for a while and I know about this. Before going to the Suan plu immigration office, even my girlfriend (She's Thai) warned me of how low and unpolite the service is applied at this particular Immigration office. They are lazy and that's it. Now if I called them 'bitches,' I might've crossed the line. Misbehaving isn't tolerated, but these Women misbehaving towards us is tolerated? It seems so. Wake up fool.

if that guy doesn't like it, then he should go home.

Hi Thug,

First of all, let me make it clear that I think name calling such as "bitches" is a very low form of rhetoric. I try to avoid doing it, and I don't like to hear it from others. But I guess that Crybaby (sorry, I forget his actual handle) is free to express himself that way if he chooses, unless it violates the TOS on this forum. But that's not the point.

Your statement and similar that "if you don't like it, go home!" as far as I can tell is simply an opinion. One often repeated and repeated and repeated, but never backed up with any substance that I can see. But you and others seem to express it as if it were some kind of Cosmic Principle! Who says so?

I have lived in Thailand since 1998, not courting a year in China. I guess I like it alright or I would not have gone to the considerable hassle and expense that I have in order to be here. In fact, it is more than "alright," I love being here. However, are you saying that I ought to love it 100%, and that I ought to love every single aspect about being here or I should just go home? Sorry! Hardly practical, as I have lived in five Asian countries (some more than once) as well as Hawaii, and every place I have ever been, I have found many things that I liked as well as many that I disliked.

You are right, Crybaby might do better if didn't needlessly upset himself over deep culture such as a "sanuk" work ethic at the Immigration office. However, are you so certain that it is an expression of "sanuk"? Maybe it's just laziness as some other posters have suggested. Who is to say? You? Are you asserting that Thai bureaucrats are never lazy or disrespectful to customers? Yeah, and the Pope isn't Polish! Oh, wait a minute! Never mind! :o

Aloha,

Rex

Edited by rexall

Never had a problem with the immigration team here in Kanchanaburi, always professional, polite and willing to help!

Unfortunately can't say the same about other offices around the country!

Mae Sai,

Also very polite and very helpful

Mae Sai

they can be right horrble people!!! They questioned all my related adddresses in Thailand once and made me wait for one hour nearly, either they were looking for someone fitting my description or hes was in a bad mood!!!

Nevermind...LOS...only Tuesdays maybe !!! :o

I have a question. I use a law firm when I renew my one-year visa at Suan Phlu. Even though I have renewed several years, they only give me one month and stamp 'under consideration'. I have to go through this process 3-4 times (i.e. 3-4 months) before they give me a one-year visa (minus the months I have been 'under consideration'). Does this also happen when you do the visa application yourself......? Or do you get one-year right away?

I was thinking perhaps this is a way to extract more money from the farang since I have to pay every time/month when it's 'under consideration', and that the law firm and immigration staff share some of the payments.......but I don't really know? :o

What is your experience?

I have a question.  I use a law firm when I renew my one-year visa at Suan Phlu.  Even though I have renewed several years, they only give me one month and stamp 'under consideration'.  I have to go through this process 3-4 times (i.e. 3-4 months) before they give me a one-year visa (minus the months I have been 'under consideration').  Does this also happen when you do the visa application yourself......?  Or do you get one-year right away?

I was thinking perhaps this is a way to extract more money from the farang since I have to pay every time/month when it's 'under consideration', and that the law firm and immigration staff share some of the payments.......but I don't really know?  :o

What is your experience?

FaranginBKK - I extend it myself - Retirement Visa that is.

First 2 years I was given an initial one month - and then the remaining

for the year.

Since then I have been given the one year straight off within 30 mins

at Suan Phlu - a very polite efficient service.

Maybe you could expand on your post?

Is your Visa for Retirement? or Marriage?

After each one month extension are you asked for

additional Documents? Or if for Marriage is your Matrimonial home visited?

Can you tell us how much the Law Firm charges?

Maybe you have special circumstances but

in my experience it would appear that you are

being given a runaround / rip off - but maybe by the Law Firm?

Bill

Obviously, some people have been kindly treated at Suan Phlu, though far from all.  I was actually short-changed.  I gave 1,000 Baht to the woman behind the counter to pay a 500 Baht fee, and change was not given.  When I pointed this out to her, she got angry and did not want to accept my papers or do anything.....

I gave up, no use to complain to her superior as they all support each other.  :o

Hi FaranginBKK

I had a similar situation.

BUT - I said nothing !

The Balance was given to me when I was called ten minutes later

to collect back my Passport & Papers AND the receipt ...

THAT seems to be their system!

I guess it must raise eyebrows with many people

but thats how it goes ...

Bill