Looking For Help Making Travel-guide To Thailand

Livingstone

Hi everybody!

I am a 36-year old designer in the advertising industry and for some time I have been thinking in what way I could give shape to my love for Thailand. I have finally decided to go for it and pursue an idea I had a couple of years ago.

What I am going to do is take a year off and make a photo/travel-guide. This will be a book in travel-guide format with mainly photos in it and some maps and text. The idea is that it will provide and overlook of the country in pictures as it is: if the beach is busy with people then they will be in there too. If you like what you see then you can look it up on the map and there is a little something to read at the bottom of the page. See it as a visual travel-guide, or a photo-book that you can travel with.

You can either read the book before travelling as an orientation, take it with you to actually go to these places or look through it when you come back as an instant photo-album.

This may sound like a too simple plan but as with everything it is the way you do it that counts. In this case it is the way the photos are taken and the selection made. If all goes well it will be done in a way that my target group (20 to 40 year old people who like adventure but are too lazy to read) can connect to and that they can rely on. Furthermore it just needs to be beautiful and entertaining.

So, what I am asking from you, my dear Thai visa forum-readers: who would like to help me? I will need help in any possible way. From a simple tip 'you should check out there and there', to people who would like to go somewhere with me to people who would like to have a drink to stop me from feeling lonely. I think there are lots of people amongst you that have something to tell about Thailand.

Subjects that I am looking for need to be accessible for travelers, so nothing industrial, business or military. The obvious places will be in there like Bangkok, Chiang Mai, etc. but I would very much like to hear about beautiful or interesting places where nobody goes. Also I need help on subjects that are typical for certain areas such as food, people, nature.

I don't have a publisher yet and I don't intend to look for one until after a few months when I have something to show. It is my privately funded project and I have no other way of rewarding people for their efforts than with photos and possibly a free copy of the book if all goes well. Of course the discussion if this a good idea and whether it will be success is an interesting one but I have made up my mind and will go ahead anyway. I am planning on having a great time and I believe in what I am doing.

This will all take place from September onwards. At the moment I am still in Amsterdam, the Netherlands preparing everything. The project is for the moment called 'Travel by Numbers' as that is the way to look up the photos. When I have time I will set up the website travelbynumbers.com as a blog where people can follow what I am doing and where I am.

Thank you all in advance!

Sander

Hi everybody!

I am a 36-year old designer in the advertising industry and for some time I have been thinking in what way I could give shape to my love for Thailand. I have finally decided to go for it and pursue an idea I had a couple of years ago.

What I am going to do is take a year off and make a photo/travel-guide. This will be a book in travel-guide format with mainly photos in it and some maps and text. The idea is that it will provide and overlook of the country in pictures as it is: if the beach is busy with people then they will be in there too. If you like what you see then you can look it up on the map and there is a little something to read at the bottom of the page. See it as a visual travel-guide, or a photo-book that you can travel with.

You can either read the book before travelling as an orientation, take it with you to actually go to these places or look through it when you come back as an instant photo-album.

This may sound like a too simple plan but as with everything it is the way you do it that counts. In this case it is the way the photos are taken and the selection made. If all goes well it will be done in a way that my target group (20 to 40 year old people who like adventure but are too lazy to read) can connect to and that they can rely on. Furthermore it just needs to be beautiful and entertaining.

So, what I am asking from you, my dear Thai visa forum-readers: who would like to help me? I will need help in any possible way. From a simple tip 'you should check out there and there', to people who would like to go somewhere with me to people who would like to have a drink to stop me from feeling lonely. I think there are lots of people amongst you that have something to tell about Thailand.

Subjects that I am looking for need to be accessible for travelers, so nothing industrial, business or military. The obvious places will be in there like Bangkok, Chiang Mai, etc. but I would very much like to hear about beautiful or interesting places where nobody goes. Also I need help on subjects that are typical for certain areas such as food, people, nature.

I don't have a publisher yet and I don't intend to look for one until after a few months when I have something to show. It is my privately funded project and I have no other way of rewarding people for their efforts than with photos and possibly a free copy of the book if all goes well. Of course the discussion if this a good idea and whether it will be success is an interesting one but I have made up my mind and will go ahead anyway. I am planning on having a great time and I believe in what I am doing.

This will all take place from September onwards. At the moment I am still in Amsterdam, the Netherlands preparing everything. The project is for the moment called 'Travel by Numbers' as that is the way to look up the photos. When I have time I will set up the website travelbynumbers.com as a blog where people can follow what I am doing and where I am.

Thank you all in advance!

Sander

Sanders,

Where and how do you propose to distribute this book? I maybe can help with destinations, editorial, etc. but you MUST have an advance plan before proceeding or it could become an expensive and fruitless exercise.

I think you envisage a coffee table book rather than a travel guide. The latter needs to be informative, compact and regularly updated.

The two markets are quite different.

When you are in a position to look for a publisher I can give you some contacts if you pm me. Good luck.

You will find wonderful pictures for your book in Lopburi.  I captured some incredible photos there about a month ago of the monkies that have practically taken over the town.

How dare you insult the TV members who live in Lopburi by calling them monkies....don't you know that the polite term for them is "psychos"?

You will find wonderful pictures for your book in Lopburi.  I captured some incredible photos there about a month ago of the monkies that have practically taken over the town.

Sander,

If you are thinking of a coffee table type guide book then don't forget to visit the tsunami - affected areas of the south. There are many visual stories to be told there of the ongoing reality of life in some parts of southern Thailand.

Unfortunately for these communities, this will be their reality for some time to come so it is valid subject matter to show the present scenes. Not just the aid camps but also the true spirit and resilence of the Thai people in re-building their homes and of the many wonderful volunteers who have come from all over the globe to help.

The world is too quick to forget.... people need to be reminded as mainstream media has moved on to more sensational items.

Sander,

If you are thinking of a coffee table type guide book then don't forget to visit the tsunami - affected areas of the south. There are many visual stories to be told there of the ongoing reality of life in some parts of southern Thailand.

Unfortunately for these communities, this will be their reality for some time to come so it is valid subject matter to show the present scenes. Not just the aid camps but also the true spirit and resilence of the Thai people in re-building their homes and of the many wonderful volunteers who have come from all over the globe to help.

The world is too quick to forget.... people need to be reminded as mainstream media has moved on to more sensational items.

Since Livingstone still has only one post perhaps Livingstone has moved on to more sensational items.

Sander,

Since Livingstone still has only one post perhaps Livingstone has moved on to more sensational items.

Mmmmmmmmmmm..... possibly!!!