When Can I Renew My Non Immigrant O Visa (Retirement)?

I have a British passport and my Non immigrant O visa (Retirement) expires on 23rd September.

What is the earliest date that i can go to immigration to renew it? I might be busy with other things around the time it's up or renewal so it would be more convenient to do it as soon as possible.

Also, it says on the visa in the passport that it's valid until 23/09/10 Is it valid until midnight on the 23rd?

Thanks for any answers.

Cheers

Technically it is valid until midnight, but at 12.01 am the next day you are an overstay!

You have to renew or leave on or before the 23/09/10.

Also - if you leave and re-enter (with a re-entry permit) before 23/9 - you will get another 90 days from when you re-enter. ;) (At least that is how I understand it.)

Technically it is valid until midnight, but at 12.01 am the next day you are an overstay!

Also - if you leave and re-enter (with a re-entry permit) before 23/9 - you will get another 90 days from when you re-enter. ;) (At least that is how I understand it.)

That is only if you have a non-O-A which was obtained in your own country. It does not apply to extensions done here.

That is only if you have a non-O-A which was obtained in your own country. It does not apply to extensions done here.

A multi O-A visa would give you another 365 days, a multi Non Immigrant o will give you 90 days from when you re-enter before the expiry date of your visa. If you are on an 1 year extension, a re-entry permit will keep your current permission to stay alive.

Edited by mxyzptlk

Do you have a single or multii entry non immigrant O visa?

Or do you have a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa?

Or do you have a single entry non immigrant O-A visa?

Or od you have a one year extension of stay from Immigration?

I have a one year extension of stay from immigration.

What difference does that make?

Cheers

russianrobert

You were talking about a visa, an extension of stay is something else. If you still had a valid visa, you might have had different options.

As said, you can renew up to 30 days before your current permission expires. The extension will start from the day your current permission to stay ends, so you don't lose any days.

Advice is always to extend early, so you have time is something is wrong/missing.

You were talking about a visa, an extension of stay is something else. If you still had a valid visa, you might have had different options.

As said, you can renew up to 30 days before your current permission expires. The extension will start from the day your current permission to stay ends, so you don't lose any days.

Advice is always to extend early, so you have time is something is wrong/missing.

I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me.

What is the critical date for extension of a visa...??

I hold an OA Non Imm. Retirement Visa that is due to expire mid October but due to recent travel out of Thailand I have a stamp in my passport giving me permission to stay in Thailand until August 2011.

Does my visa expire in October 2010 as per original issue or has it actually been 'extended' already when I re-entered Thailand recently.

When do I need to apply for the one year extension..???.....before October 2010 or before the permission stamp in my passport that currently states August 2011..??

I assume that if I leave the country after October 2010, I won't get a one year extension..???

I hope that someone can assist and please forgive me if this question has been asked before.

You have a multiple O-A visa, meaning that as long as the visa is valid you will get a permission to stay for 1 year from date of entry. By leaving and re-entering just before your visa expires in Oct you can get a permission to stay untill Oct. 2011.

The date in 2011 is the date before which you need to apply for an extension of stay.

Note that after your visa expires in Oct. 2010 you will need a re-entry permit if you want to travel outside of Thailand, otherwise your permission to stay till Aug. 2011 will expire and you will need a new visa!

You have a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa and it will expire on October as printed on the visa. But you may stay in Thailand until the new permitted to stay date of August 2011. So in July or August 2011 you would make application for a one year extension of stay.

Any travel with return after the October 2010 expiration date must have a re-entry permit before you travel to keep your current August 2011 date alive. If you want to travel and return before the 2010 expiration date you will get a new one year from day of arrival permitted to stay stamp.

You have a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa and it will expire on October as printed on the visa. But you may stay in Thailand until the new permitted to stay date of August 2011. So in July or August 2011 you would make application for a one year extension of stay.

Any travel with return after the October 2010 expiration date must have a re-entry permit before you travel to keep your current August 2011 date alive. If you want to travel and return before the 2010 expiration date you will get a new one year from day of arrival permitted to stay stamp.

Mario and Lopburi....thank you both for your very clear answers, much appreciated.

This is what I thought the situation to be, but I have been confused by varying advice and I didn't want to find out that I was wrong when it's too late.....so thought I should ask the experts. :rolleyes:

Thanks again.