Information Accuracy/credibility

penelope

This forum is a pretty good source of all sorts of information about Thailand. There are many different people providing information and the quality of this information varies from being 100% accurate to being hearsay and presumption. I might be wrong, but I would guess that many people are forming important decisions based on the information they mine from this site and others. What am I proposing...well some sort of certification system where a poster gets given an information credibility ranking based on his or hers history of providing factually correct and useful advice. Therefore for example, if someone was looking for information about business start ups, work permits etc... and they saw that "Indo Siam" provided some advice and had a credibility ranking of 100% or 5 star or some relevent ranking system...then they would know to take that advice over another poster with a low ranking.

Feedback ???

I've been on the forum long enough now to know who the key players are in the credibility stakes, so a ranking system is not really needed by me.

I read enough posts of the main members to get a "feel" for them, and to know if they're posting fact or just taking the p1ss... :o

I know what you mean though.. for newbies asking serious questions... :D

I guess my concern would be... who would rank the members? The mods/admin already have their hands full keeping the Forum in line, without the additional work load of ranking members credibility.

If I were to have a particularly serious subject that I wanted some serious advice on, I think I'd probably PM one of the senior members or mods to ask who would be most appropriate person to answer my question.

I've been on the forum long enough now to know who the key players are in the credibility stakes, so a ranking system is not really needed by me.

If I were to have a particularly serious subject that I wanted some serious advice on, I think I'd probably PM one of the senior members or mods to ask who would be most appropriate person to answer my question.

And therein lies a plausable solution.........Pm some one you you feel comfortable with and confident can supply acurrate information....... :o

My opinion is, if you're looking for dead accurate information you should not be seeking free advice from public internet forum.

Exactly.

If you want accurate information on the law - go to a lawyer.

If you want accurate information on health - go to a doctor etc..

For all of the forums on Thaivisa, where members could wish accurate information, there are professions whose prime function is to provide this information.

If anyone had a serious problem, they would be stupid if they did not consult these professionals.

That Thaivisa is sometimes able to provide information close to the standard offered by these professionals, is to Thaivisa's credit, but must not detract from the nature of an anonymous forum, which is to give opinion, much of which is wind and highly inaccurate, hopefully amusing and, on those rare occasions, provides members with some indication of the choices, on certain matters, available to them.

But NEVER forget - a pinch of salt.

On the face of it it's a good plan IMO. However, as has been said, who will do the ranking?

There is also the sarcasm that maybe some newbies will not pick up.

If I offer information in this forum, I try to differentiate (in the posting) as to what is 'fact' in my experience; what is hearsay; and what is opinion based upon a rudamentory knowledge. Maybe I don't always get this across but I try.

There is also the TiT problem. One's personal experience could be very dissimilar (or even opposite) to anothers.

There is actually a member ranking system in the new version of the forum software. It's still in BETA version though, hopefully fully developed later this year. Huski knows more about this, as we have a little test system up and running.

some of us have some good contacts and information concerning certain aspects of Thai life, culture, bureaucracy, however, for me those that have been through the system without having family contacts etc are a more valuable source of information.

:o:D

Maybe there is a gap in the market for a new forum, well not really an open discussion forum like what TV is, but more of a synchronous web based Q and A, where anyone can pose questions in particular subjects but only a select group of reputable sources can answer to those subjects.

Maybe there is a gap in the market for a new forum, well not really an open discussion forum like what TV is, but more of a synchronous web based Q and A, where anyone can pose questions in particular subjects but only a select group of reputable sources can answer to those subjects.

We are working on an extensive FAQ section to replace the old one at http://www.thaivisa.com/349.0.html

It will be a searchble FAQ with links to resources and related forum threads.

Surely this gap could be filled if Thaivisa produced some FAQs on top subjects as e.g.. Visa applications, Visa runs etc..

This I know has been suggested elsewhere, but like all new projects, FAQs will take time and effort to produce and maintain.

There is actually a member ranking system in the new version of the forum software. It's still in BETA version though, hopefully fully developed later this year. Huski knows more about this, as we have a little test system up and running.

I realise that I'm being a pain in the @rse here george (so what's new there?), but there is information on Thaivisa.com which needs reviewing and updating, particularly in the "what do I need for a visa extension" area.

Surely this gap could be filled if Thaivisa produced some FAQs on top subjects as e.g.. Visa applications, Visa runs etc..

This I know has been suggested elsewhere, but like all new projects, FAQs will take time and effort to produce and maintain.

There is one, Thomas (Thaivisa.com) but see my previous posting (and george's - oops, missed it).

Edited by jayenram

There is one, Thomas (Thaivisa.com) but see my previous posting (and george's - oops, missed it).

My error.

But surely this ought to satisfy the OP's problem: for accuracy (when updated) go to Thaivisa.com; for opinion, often innacurate, but sometimes not, take your salt cellar to Thaivisa's forum.

Edited by Thomas_Merton

OK so what happens when Indo Siam answers a cooking recipe question ?

Does his rating get automatically reduced by the software ?

Best solution is to get Lopburi3 to answer all the questions.

He knows everything.

My error.

But surely this ought to satisfy the OP's problem: for accuracy (when updated) go to Thaivisa.com; for opinion, often innacurate, but sometimes not, take your salt cellar to Thaivisa's forum.

Well for personal use, I dont really care..my wife and mother in law are complete "know it alls" :o

But for newbies, some solution is surely beneficial..and it looks like George has his finger on the pulse.

Cheers.

OK so what happens when Indo Siam answers a cooking recipe question ?

Does his rating get automatically reduced by the software ?

Best solution is to get Lopburi3 to answer all the questions.

He knows everything.

I agree 110% here.

Except, Yorky probably knows most about where you can get cheap grog though. :o

<snip>..my wife and mother in law are complete "know it alls"  :D <snip>

Penelope;

I totally disagree, you MUST ask the old people in the village, they know everything. :o:D:D:D

As an example, if I want to know if its raining in Sydney, instead of getting on the web and looking at the real-time weather radar, I just ask an old person in the village. :D

The same goes for Lucky days, Lottery Numbers, Baby Names, Days to have Parties, and even what day to drive home. :D

Its the only way to make important decisions concerning your life. :D

As an example, if I want to know if its raining in Sydney, instead of getting on the web and looking at the real-time weather radar, I just ask an old person in the village.  :D

Who?... udon? :o

:D

As an example, if I want to know if its raining in Sydney, instead of getting on the web and looking at the real-time weather radar, I just ask an old person in the village.  :D

:D that isnt very nice jd hes not THAT old not a day past 70 i heard. :D:D

Don't worry... I'm sure udon knows I'm only taking the p1ss... :D

Don't worry... I'm sure udon knows I'm only taking the p1ss... :D

It depends if he has his glasses with him, otherwise his old eyesight might not be able to read these posts properly, and we all know how easily confused he can get :D