Financial requirement: non-immigrant o visa for re

Recently, when I went for my 90 day retiree visa check-in at Pattaya Immigration, I told the Immigration Officer I would get married this year and had read that if a retiree marries and supports a Thai lady, he only needs to bring THB 200,000 into Thailand each year, not THB 800,000. He said, in that case, it would take 2-3 months to obtain the visa. My last "official" arrival into Thailand was in 2000.

I see from Deebster's posting that he only needed to bring in THB 200,000 but he doesn't say when he arrived.

Can anyone tell me what the correct situation is?

Marty

This sounds right as it normally takes the full 45 day extension here in Bangkok before the support visa is ready.  They are required to check this type of visa (that you are really living together and supporting) unless you have 800k in the bank.  The amount required is given as 200 to 250k from what people have posted.

FYI:  the 90 report is for any visa, so you will have to keep doing that even if you change to support from retirement.

Thanks George and Lopburi 3

My pension is remitted to Thailand monthly and it far exceeds THB 250,000 pa but falls short of THB 800,000 pa.

I also have an affidavit prepared by an attorney in Pattaya verifying that I have lived with my Thai lady since 1995. It was prepared in 1999 when I requested my pension fund that my pension be remitted to the lady after I pass away.

Can I apply for the visa in Pattaya, or do I have to apply in Bangkok?

marty

The current requirement for retirement visa is the 800k so if you apply for extension based on retirement that is what you have to show/have.  If you are married/have child you also have the option to extend on basis of support and that requirement would be the lower 250k amount.  The immigration police web site used to list the requirements but they often became out of date and now are not listed.  For proof they want to see bank passbook with copies along with an official letter from the bank (within the week) (costs 200 baht at BBL) saying that on xx date your account had xxx baht.  A branch manager can make/sign although they may want you to wait to get from head office if not pressed.

Believe same form is used for both retirement and support visa extensions (seven) and cost is 500 baht to file.  Wife is from Lopburi but we live in Bangkok.  Much more sunshine up there.

Don't have re-entry as do not travel that much but will be getting single at 500 baht next month for a trip.  They seem to be careful to advise of this requirement with a printed page attached to your passport now.  Guess a lot of travelers were not aware of it.  Thanks for the reminder.

I was under the impression that the 800K

requirement for retirement depended on your date of first arrival ...

And that if the Requirement was 500K when you first arrived

then that will still be what you require in the Bank upon renewal - or has that now changed?

I have the one year " retirement visa" issued in Chiangmai in Oct 2002 and multiple re-entry.

Although my wife and I are Farang we have "bought"  a house and land via the lease + lease + lease method and our name will show on the Chanot.

Question - is the fact that we "own" a property valued at 3 mill  taken in to account when we go to renew or do we still have to show 800k in the bank and or monthly income?

Any thoughts?

Roger and Lopburi are right. There IS a grandfather clause for farangs holding yearly extensions from immigration since 1998.

If they have stayed so long, they need only to show the lower amount.

But the Immigration minds change quickly sometimes, so better double check the current rules at your local immigration office. See below:

Related link :o

"Although my wife and I are Farang we have "bought"  a house and land via the lease + lease + lease method and our name will show on the Chanot."

I dont understand, when the name is on the chanoot you owe the land. But you can't being a farang or Thai woman married to a farang (not applicable for the Thai guys).

Can you please explain?

\

M

T_Dog:

The Annual Retiremnet Visa Extension Stamp

has in my Passport another Stamp

beneath it in Thai Script which my Thai friends

tell me translates to something like

"For the Rest of Life"

As Dr_Pat_Pong says - After 3 consecutive renewals you can apply for residence - if you wish - or continue with the Annual

Extentions which are very easy to do personally.

Dr_Pat_Pong & others ...

Would you say Residence is really desirable?

Residents would have to Pay Tax?

Roger

Roger and Lopburi are right. There IS a grandfather clause for farangs holding yearly extensions from immigration since 1998.

If they have stayed so long, they need only to show the lower amount.

But the Immigration minds change quickly sometimes, so better double check the current rules at your local immigration office. See below:

Related link :o

Here is a link for those retireds who has been here for a while:

http://www.ethailand.com/article....ree=246