Teaching

When one reads the teaching thread quite often it makes you wonder, why are these peoples here, all they do is "GRIPE".

I would like to recommend to some of these unhappy soles(sic) take the time to open the Chaing Rai Forum & look at this post Homage To Foreign English Teachers, in Chiangrai and elsewhere there are some people enjoying what there doing in Thailand and getting satisfaction from it. :o

Edited by sonong1

I know a lot more unhappy teachers in Thailand than happy ones, or rather they wish they could do something else. I mean the ones who have been doing it longer than 5 years. I think that doing it for more than 5 years is too long.

I've been reading too much about teachers being unhappy with what they do. I'm in the process of trying to work out what I want to do when I come over and teaching is one of the options but I'm really being put off.....

Is it really that bad?

Yep, shore is.  :D  :D  :D  :o

For a longer answer to your question, take a look around at some of the other threads.  The most recent page of posts in "Questions About Qualifications" has a suggested list.

"Steven"

"Steven" -Buls##t

Your avitar "Ijustwannateach" does not seem to flow through your posts.

My post was intended as an acolade to those who are teaching/training/educating/tutoring etc in Thailand - Degree or no Degree.

A degree does not maketh the person 4 years at Uni or 4 years earning a trade or 4 years at sea or 4 years as a kieup in PNG who is to say one is lesser or greater than the other.

An artisan who takes on an apprentice teaches (trains, educates, tutors etc) that young person in many things including quite often "life skills" Some of our greatest statesmen did not go to Uni. Thailand in my opinion has fallen for the old three card trick " A degree maketh the person" read the job vacancies. A saleman now becomes a Sales Engineer a garbage man becomes a Garbologist when does it stop?

Zaz asked Is it really that bad? -Steven replied Yep, shore is.

Neeranam wrote - I know a lot more unhappy teachers in Thailand than happy ones. I would ask then why are they still here??

Did you blokes, fellas, guys take the time to read the thread on the CR forum maybe it would do you good to "learn" not everyone hates being in Thailand.

Solong from Sonong to someone who until now had my respect

I've been in international higher education and educational management for more than 20 years, and the ONLY place which seriously made me want to give it up was Thailand. Getting the h*ll out of there restored my sanity, my self-respect and my passion for teaching - not to mention my quality of life.

Those who have never taught anywhere else can usually put up with it for a while (what else are you going to do in Thailand?). Professional educators who have worked in other places usually don't last long, in my experience. Of course there are exceptions, but they are simply that. Exceptions.

Edited by Rumpole

Thailand in my opinion has fallen for the old three card trick " A degree maketh the person" read the job vacancies.

It seems that on the one hand you are paying tribute to teachers in Thailand, whilst at the same time disparaging the value of their product. Something of a contradiction, don’t you think? And whilst a few statesmen may not have had degrees, do you think they would similarly encourage their children not to seek a university education, if the opportunity were available to them?

Where is Thailand, in development terms, in relation to Japan, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong? One of the keys to the economic success of these places, which have few natural resources apart from their own populations, has been a well-educated workforce, enabling their people to fulfill the potential of their own industriousness. Their respective governments realized this many years ago, and consequently invested large amounts of both money and effort in developing a relatively effective educational infrastructure. India, too, is finally beginning to reap the rewards of having a highly-literate labour force. China has also realized that its education system is falling well short of meeting the requirements of its rapidly industrializing society, and is accordingly trying to improve the quality of its schools and universities. Successive Thai administrations have seemed quite content to maintain the abysmal status quo, which generally does little except churn out sweatshop factory (owned by guess who?) fodder, sex-workers and som-tom sellers. I am not just talking about “hardware” here. Thai school owners and administrators are very willing to erect shiny Potemkin campuses costing billions of baht (Anyone know who has the key to the computer lab? Errrr …. mai loo!), whilst paying their “software” peanuts and working them like coolies into the bargain. Not exactly a blue-print for attracting quality personnel.

The majority of Thais are ill-served by the grave inadequacies of their education system, and this will seriously hamper the country’s development in years to come.

Edited by Rumpole

Rumpole

The accolades are for the unsung "teachers" who are getting on with life and participating in a difficult profession without "Griping". This includes believe it or not many "thai" teachers who are professional whilst their remuneration is minimal to say the least.

People keep referring to "being underpaid" "lack of organisation" - no dispute there but, " ever considered the simple fact " If you expected anything else" then your have failed the research elective!

The majority of Thais are ill-served by the grave inadequacies of their education system, and this will seriously hamper the country’s development in years to come.

YES but there is some hope.

A THai I class as a friend - BEd Tasmania Aust 4 years, MBA Townsville Aust 2 years, currently in the Netherlands (4) years for his Doctorate - family at home 2 children he was not born with a silver spoon and considers the hardship of being away worthwhile in the pursuit of his chosen profession.

And whilst a few statesmen may not have had degrees, do you think they would similarly encourage their children not to seek a university education, if the opportunity were available to them?

No. I believe they would encourage them to seek the highest level of knowledge available including the life subject of "work ethics" which many of todaty UG's sadly lack. My reference to the 3 card trick was triggered by my experiences in the Philippines where everyone has a degree - most not worth the paper they are "milled" on.

Extract - (Not exactly a blue-print for attracting quality personnel)

True oh so true and it's not going to change despite all the current "hype".

I think that OP needs to do some research on the meaning of:

:D:D:o

.... assuming he/she is not a troll, which I think is far from proven at this point. Too aggressive and chip-on-shoulder on the initial post, plus it seems unlikely that you've "respected" me for so long with only 20 posts.

But my respectful apologies if you're truly "sincere." :D

"Steven"

When one reads the teaching thread quite often  it  makes you wonder, why are these peoples here, all they do is "GRIPE".

I would like to recommend to some of these unhappy soles(sic) take the time to open the Chaing Rai Forum & look at this post  Homage To Foreign English Teachers, in Chiangrai and elsewhere there are some people enjoying what there doing in Thailand and getting satisfaction from it. :o

Been said before but we gripe because

we are human

we dont like working

we dont like our ideas being ignored

we dont like being treated like a performing clown

not being allowed to actually teach

not being allowed to do the best job possible

having to jump through 90 different hoops to renew a WP

etc

etc

Again you miss the point of a forum like this. Its not to pat ourselves on the back and say what a rosy life we lead, isnt it wonderful. Its to sort out all the problems and ask for solutions and ways round the daily unecessary crap that the thai bureaucracy think is important.

look at the churn rate of teachers over a 5 year period. I would hazard a guess its 90% It would be interesting to see the Thai figure compared against say Japan. I would imagine Japan is a fair bit lower when you take out the 6month and 1 year folk.

So to all those who say if you dont like it leave, a lot of people do exactly that. Far too many are doing that in frustration and half crazed after trying to shift the sustem into the 19th century.

and oh yes.

that post wasnt fromt he guy himself, it was from someone who knows him. teaching + prep + sitting through meetings in thai on your weekend. I would love to know if the actual teacher loves that or gripes about it

and

teaching out in the sticks is a lot different from Bangkok, anecdotal tales suggest it can be a lot more rewarding - as they are not used to farang out there- if you like the quiet life.

:D "Steven" nose out of joint because you didn't rate a response?

Again you miss the point of a forum like this. Its not to pat ourselves on the back and say what a rosy life we lead, isnt it wonderful. Its to sort out all the problems and ask for solutions and ways round the daily unecessary crap that the thai bureaucracy think is important.
:D Bluffer where did that gem come from?

Now Now "Steven" I seem to remember you disagreeing with another "low count poster" on another thread!

Rumpole -

It seems that on the one hand you are paying tribute to teachers in Thailand, whilst at the same time disparaging the value of their product. Something of a contradiction, don’t you think? And whilst a few statesmen may not have had degrees, do you think they would similarly encourage their children not to seek a university education, if the opportunity were available to them?
:D

Not at all old chum a well earned qualification is a well earned qualification but without experience its not worth the parchment its on. - Yes we hope they would encourage their offspring to pursue the highest achievements possible in their chosen field " not to follow the calf path of the life" (an extract from the work study side of Industrial Engineering),

'No chip' No troll' "Steven" used to enjoy your posts maybe you need a holiday away from those students? :o

Bluffer where did that gem come from?

How about here ?

When one reads the teaching thread quite often it makes you wonder, why are these peoples here, all they do is "GRIPE".

You know. One of the things that makes us "gripe" most of all, is people who are not teachers coming on to "gripe" about teachers "griping". :o

Bluffer where did that gem come from?

How about here ?

You know. One of the things that makes us "gripe" most of all, is people who are not teachers coming on to "gripe" about teachers "griping". :o

tch tch Bluffer temper temper :D

YOU NEARLY HAD ME THERE BUT AFTER RE-READING MY POSTS i CAN'T FIND WHERE i MENTIONED MY OCCUPATION - you Bluffer you??

Once again I do not troll nor endeavour to incite but i certainly hope when one of your lucky students raises their hand and asks Khun Bluffer -a question? you give a more detailed answer then

How about here ?

I am sure your initial post indicated that the point of a forum like this was not to pat ourselves on the back and say what a rosy life we lead, isnt it wonderful. Its to sort out all the problems and ask for solutions and ways round the daily unecessary crap that the thai bureaucracy think is important.

I am afraid we differ in our opinions there old stick - I seem to remember reading many a topic on this forum that does not support the view you "exposed above" but every one to their own. (exposed is deliberate - because maybe you should have kept that little gem under your raincoat).( on reflection i should have used "exploited"= personal gain.

:D

Edited by sonong1

Sonong, we gripe here because we can't gripe anywhere else. Sharing our problems helps us. Another troll complains that we only point a rosy picture. Maybe we're doing something right.

So, have you observed Steven as he's teaching. I did. He loves his work. Do you love your work? You seem to have some personal issues. I wish you well.

Sonong, we gripe here because we can't gripe anywhere else.  Sharing our problems helps us.  Another troll complains that we only point a rosy picture.  Maybe we're doing something right.

So, have you observed Steven as he's teaching.  I did.  He loves his work.  Do you love your work?  You seem to have some personal issues.  I wish you well.

PeaceBlondie - You amaze me - please direct me to where comment was passed about "Steven" teaching !! or "Steven"griping !!

I do not troll (from Steven) nor do i have a chip on my shoulder (from Steven)maybe it's time you learn't to blow your own horn instead of "jumping" on "Stevens bandwagon.

The one question i would ask of you PB. Did you read the thread I refered to? - If yes then I may have been hasty in labelling you a jumperonera. (from Steven)(from Steven).

If not the question begs are you man enough to answer honestly?? :o

I have been following all the threads and have a question to ask that is open to all opinions. I am planning on moving too the Pattaya area in the next few months and was planning on retiring. I am 52 , and do alot of corporate training here in the US. I was looking into getting a Tefl certificate and teaching on a part-time basis maybe 4 hrs. a day. Is this a realisitic situation or am I heading into a mess. I will be working to keep myself busy, and enjoy helping others.....not realyy in it for the money.

Thanks for the advice,

Eric

I have been following all the threads and have a question to ask that is open to all opinions. I am planning on moving too the Pattaya area in the next few months and was planning on retiring. I am 52 ,  and do alot of corporate training here in the US. I was looking into getting a Tefl certificate and teaching on a part-time basis maybe 4 hrs. a day. Is this a realisitic situation or  am I heading into a mess. I will be working to keep myself busy, and enjoy helping others.....not realyy in it for the money.

Thanks for the advice,

Eric

ericg1953 I believe you are on the correct wavelink, have a look at the www.ajarn.com web site and you will notice there is a call for exactly what you are talking about.

Pattaya good location not far from Rayong "Industrial Hub" and still easy commuting into downtown Bangkok.

Always remember "Job Opportunities" can be likened to an iceberg only 25% are out in the open. :o

"Steven" -Buls##t

Was this the reference about Ijustwannateach you couldn't find, Sonong? I haven't had the opportunity to observe him teaching, as Peaceblondie has, but his care about and passion for teaching is very clear from his posts. I should think he would be a great teacher.

"Steven" -Buls##t

Was this the reference about Ijustwannateach you couldn't find, Sonong? I haven't had the opportunity to observe him teaching, as Peaceblondie has, but his care about and passion for teaching is very clear from his posts. I should think he would be a great teacher.

Paully I have no idea if "Steven" is a good teacher or not my comment was that his avitar does not seem to flow thru to his posts.

Now when "Steven"responded he sub-lined with four (4) Post-Icons then had the temerity to come back and advise the OP (me) to look up their meanings but now read this carefully Paully posted only three (3) of the original four (4) Post.-Icons.

My original intention was to highlight there were people teaching here in Thailand professional & non-professional some getting paid some not but Paully here is the "Punch Line" enjoying it and taking the difficulties being encountered as TiT.

"Steven" commented in good faith I assume, I responded in good faith I hope, and now we have You & PB jumping up and down about how good a Teacher "Steven" is!!

Topic is over for me oh by the way Paully did you read the CR thread?? :o

Sonong1, I apologize for my remarks.  For the last five days I have been in constant pain and medicated, and unable to read the referred post until now.  Limbo had nice things to say about the teacher in Chiang Rai. 

Sorry.

PB, no need to apologise everyone is entitled to their opinion (I nearly asked in my response if you were over your accident but thought it may be taken the wrong way) Cheers hope to run across (not over) you one day happy to have a drink with you & "Steven".(Ok I had better include Paully as well). :o