Gyros Meat Vs. Donner Kebab Meat

BillR

Having grown up in chicago, I have a good understanding of what Gyros meat tastes like. It is a very popular fast food there. I also have a very good recipe for gyros meat consisting of 50% beef and 50% Lamb.

I'd like to know if there is any difference between the gyros meat in the USA and the Donner Kebab meat used in the UK. I know they each have different toppings etc and I know a UK donner kebab might not be authentic same as a USA gyros meat.

Basically, if theres different spices, ratio of meat etc. Never been to the UK is why I ask and I plan to offer kebabs/gyros at my restaurant.

in the USA, gyros are made from lamb or a combination of beef and lamb. Im not interested in a history lesson, only the difference in taste from a gyros sandwich from the USA and a Donner Kebab in the UK.

Edited by BillR

well...in the Middle East you got shwarma, usually either mutton or chicken and it's usually up to the individual shwarma chef to compile the skewer...

shwarma chefs are in great demand there if you look at the jobs section of the classifieds in any place in the Gulf...there are a million shwarma street places all with south asian chefs and they all got their own way of preparing the meat....when you find one that's exceptional you always return... :licklips:

Love Gyros. Haven't found any Kebabs, Shwarma, etc. in Thailand that taste like the Gyros I have enjoyed in the past, though (haven't seen much lamb being served here). So, we make our own (really quick & easy, too!):

GYROS

• 1/2 lb Ground lamb
  • 1/2 lb Ground beef
  • 2 slices of wheat Bread
  • 3 tb Fresh parsley; chopped
  • 5 Garlic cloves; minced
  • 1/2 tbs Salt
  • 1/3 tbs Ground Pepper
  • 1/2 tbs Ground Oregano
  • 3/4 tbs Ground Cumin
  • 3/4 tbs Ground Rosemary
  • 1 Egg; beaten

After mixing all in the blender, broil topedo shaped pieces in the oven, and then eat with fresh Pita bread, Tzatziki sauce, onions, tomatoes& feta. Yassou... dee-licious! Please post your recipe, too. Thanks & good luck!!

post-72929-025256200 1284686329_thumb.jp

post-72929-082466000 1284686350_thumb.jp

That looks good. I have never had a real gyros (aka. donner kebab) in Asia. The taste and texture are always wrong over here.

Love Gyros. Haven't found any Kebabs, Shwarma, etc. in Thailand that taste like the Gyros I have enjoyed in the past, though (haven't seen much lamb being served here). So, we make our own (really quick & easy, too!):

GYROS

• 1/2 lb Ground lamb
  • 1/2 lb Ground beef
  • 2 slices of wheat Bread
  • 3 tb Fresh parsley; chopped
  • 5 Garlic cloves; minced
  • 1/2 tbs Salt
  • 1/3 tbs Ground Pepper
  • 1/2 tbs Ground Oregano
  • 3/4 tbs Ground Cumin
  • 3/4 tbs Ground Rosemary
  • 1 Egg; beaten

After mixing all in the blender, broil topedo shaped pieces in the oven, and then eat with fresh Pita bread, Tzatziki sauce, onions, tomatoes& feta. Yassou... dee-licious! Please post your recipe, too. Thanks & good luck!!