Poor Teachers?

Loz

lol @ rationalizing being able to afford a 6m baht car (that does not count insurance and maintenance) on a 100k/month salary. please break down the financing on that i could use a good laugh.

the financing on a 1 million baht car over 4 years payment is around 20,000 baht a month. so I would guess on a 6 mil car it would be 120k per month. a 3 series BMW would be over 50k a month.

correct me if I am wrong as I do not know for sure but just making a guess bassed on my costs.

I thought he meant US$100k /year. That's still worth something, but better hurry though.

he said

"It's a <deleted> Boxster, comon, you are talking like its a Veyron or Koeniggseg. Cheapest, nastiest Porsche ever made.

I know, I know the tax etc, but still well under 5m baht, and affordable to anyone on finance with a salary of 100k +"

pretty sure he was talking about THB.

perhaps if u sleep in the car and rent the backseat out as a love hotel.

7.5 million baht new in Thailand.

post-50920-044245300 1284722181_thumb.pn

Edited by onnut

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To me people might give the car a look when you're driving and think "rich bastard" or " that's nice" but at the end of the day your driving experience is sitting in an MX-5. That's it. And as good a reputation as a small roadster they have nobody driving one is going to convince themselves they're in a 911.

Edited by mca

It's a <deleted> Boxster, comon, you are talking like its a Veyron or Koeniggseg. Cheapest, nastiest Porsche ever made.

I know, I know the tax etc, but still well under 5m baht, and affordable to anyone on finance with a salary of 100k +

Or he followed Naam's advice and employed a bilingu.....trilingu.....multilingual gardener and bought it really cheap!

What did Naam do to you?

Firstly I have to take issue over the 912. Okay 1600cc is meagre for a Porker but it has that Iconic shape and the chassis could still put up a fight if driven spiritedly. I was very keen to get one at one point but went for the 911 as it was "the nutz".

Look at the prices of 912s vs 924s and you'll agree there is no comparison.

As to the mx5. the first gen were a super little car much akin to the original Lotus Elan. light flickable and easy to manage on the limit. It was NEVER a 911 rival. Even in Turbo form its not a boxtser rival. different league. But given that a Mini Cooper costs over 50k sterling here... whaddaya gonna do? :huh:20628920076_large.jpg20628920025_large.jpg

And yes the prices here are insane. While some old timers might recall I came here to throw of material excess and do something useful/meaningful, I confess when I return (or before, so I can meet it at the airport)I'm going to buy a Merc Sports and I don't give a <deleted>! :D Nice things aren't bad after all. lesson learned. Time to move on.

Edited by Loz

As to the mx5. the first gen were a super little car much akin to the original Lotus Elan. light flickable and easy to manage on the limit. It was NEVER a 911 rival. Even in Turbo form its not a boxtser rival. different league.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the vehicle you're sitting in as something special to be in rather than what it can do Loz.

A few months ago there was a 599 in the Pullman in KK. That's over 30 mill worth of motor. Now again that's an insane price but the car, both inside and out, was a beauty to behold. The sheer tactility of the thing. In a perverse way I could see shelling out that sort of wedge as more justifiable than spending 50 grand sterling on an MX-5 which, when it all comes down to it, comes out of the same place as an MX-2.

Same as 3 mill on a Cooper. People may admire it, you may be flash in it but at the end of the day you're just sitting in a Mini. A 60 grand Mini.

Edited by mca

It's a <deleted> Boxster, comon, you are talking like its a Veyron or Koeniggseg. Cheapest, nastiest Porsche ever made.

I know, I know the tax etc, but still well under 5m baht, and affordable to anyone on finance with a salary of 100k +

Boxsters start at 6.2 Million.

Forgive me for being 24% out, I was just throwing out figures from the top of my head rather than googling it to try and appear superior.................which failed by the way, just pedantic.

OK, I forgive you but saying well under 5 million is quite far off 6.2 Million isn't it, probably more than 24% but I won't bother working it out as that would be pedantic!

I knew the price without using google actually as I was having my little Yaris serviced recently and was stuck for 2hrs in the Toyota dealer with lots of car magazines and one of them had a comparison between the Boxster and Cayman, didn't have a clue what any of it said but it wasn't difficult to see the prices.

Firstly I have to take issue over the 912. Okay 1600cc is meagre for a Porker but it has that Iconic shape and the chassis could still put up a fight if driven spiritedly. I was very keen to get one at one point but went for the 911 as it was "the nutz".

Loz, dear fellow. Don't get me wrong, I praise your postings a lot, I usually give you that +1 green stuff on every post you make but in this case I think you are wrong. Usually I and many others buy 912s because the need of fenders, windowframes narrow Fuchs and other parts for our's pre G 911s. Hence the somewhat hefty price tag.

But back on topic; of course there are some rich teachers here, but I think in most cases the teachers were well off even before they came to Thailand.

A quick glance on Autotrader gave these as what you could have back home for the price of a new Fortuner over here.

2007 BMW M5 with 31000 miles on the clock

2007 Audi S8

2007 Hummer

2007 XK convertible

2006 Maserati 4200 Cambiocorsa. 18000miles

2006 AMG CLS 55 19000 miles

It's enough to make you weep. Hey! Fortuner facelift! New side skirts! Wow!

Yes mca, I think you have a valid point. The ruling class should have the interest to have a fairly low tax on luxury items( since they are the main target), yet they keep the tax insanely high...I mean for most average Thais it wouldn't matter if there were a 5000% on a Bentley or a bottle of chateauneuf du pape but those in power would benefit from low tax of luxury items.

Edited by Hawkup2000

It's enough to make you weep. Hey! Fortuner facelift! New side skirts! Wow!

Big difference is, in UK, those cars don't kick azz really.

In Thailand, the Fortuner does.

And what better car to intimidate old Farangs on motorcycles or in small cars than The Fortuner, its priceless. jap.gif

1) I might add that it is an old Boxster (prior to 2007) considering the exhaust

2) I have not seen many Veyron around.... I would consider a Cayman (not a boxster) , which starting price is 8.5 M. Baht, a reference when it comes to financial status

Loz, dear fellow. Don't get me wrong, I praise your postings a lot, I usually give you that +1 green stuff on every post you make but in this case I think you are wrong. Usually I and many others buy 912s because the need of fenders, windowframes narrow Fuchs and other parts for our's pre G 911s. Hence the somewhat hefty price tag.

But back on topic; of course there are some rich teachers here, but I think in most cases the teachers were well off even before they came to Thailand.

No problem, I have the greatest respect for any afficiando of the marque. Do sell me on the plus points of the 924 though... I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Which do you have, post B LWB or the more precarious handling variant? I love those cars so much. and the original fuch rims are to die for. How many sports cars still look good in mud brown?

Didn't know most 12s were bought for bits. Seen a few on the road in the UK in concours condition. But, yeah, its not an RS, I'll grant you.

not so much about english teachers, but Ive come across a few wildly successful people who come to Thailand and do low/non paying work simply because they find it rewarding.

Yeah, exactly. I was filthy-rich in my home country, but now teach for peanuts in Thailand because I love the challenge of making ends meet on 14,000B a month. :whistling:

Used Boxsters for 6k sterling back home. What is the world coming to?

But for twice that you can have a Masarati GT. Now, that would be seriously nice for evenings and weekends.

Not the same clientele but please, feel free to contact me if you come across a Maserati coupé Cambiocorsa for 12K £

The same goes for an Aston DB9 (ok a DB7 then)

Edited by alyx

I know! Unreal. The prices are a shock to say the least.

Whatever you do, dont shout out this opinion openly on the forum, there's a good chance you'll be awarded a certificate for having no clue.

Now, I know what you're thinking: what on earth am I on about. Believe it or not, it's all because you, me, and more or less everyone else in the country hasn't been clever enough to employ a bilingu....trilingu....multilingual gardener. If you had, the price would be much cheaper.

Edited by Forethat

if you cant afford a used porshe by the time you're 40years old even if you only earn 30k a month..

There's something wrong with you.

Bunch of thais with very small salaries that have huge houses and 2-3 really expensive cars when they are 40-50

English teacher, from milton keynes. married to a charming lady from Chakarat, a small village near Korat (where the picture was taken) The Chap seems very happy with his lot. I didn't ask if the car was in his wife's name... didn't seem appropriate. :huh:

Is he teaching English at a Boiler Room. JR

lol @ rationalizing being able to afford a 6m baht car (that does not count insurance and maintenance) on a 100k/month salary. please break down the financing on that i could use a good laugh.

the financing on a 1 million baht car over 4 years payment is around 20,000 baht a month. so I would guess on a 6 mil car it would be 120k per month. a 3 series BMW would be over 50k a month.

correct me if I am wrong as I do not know for sure but just making a guess bassed on my costs.

In some of the motoring mags, shows teachers and medical people can have a car over 72 months with more or less 0% interest.

thats onl Thai government registered theachers. They get very low rate finance so they can get in deep debt and and be trapped into a low paying profession. Of course, this does not encourage corruption so that's ok then :unsure: