Red Shirts Rally To Mark 2006 Coup, May Crackdown

webfact

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Reds' hero Thaksin, who lives abroad to escape a jail term for corruption, called on his followers via Twitter to avoid further violence ahead of the double anniversary.

"I want everyone to look to the future. I want to see the healing of people who suffered from the conflict. I want to see people forgive each other," he said, adding that he was currently in Lebanon.

Ex-Thai PM in Moscow

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, ousted in a 2006 coup and campaigning against his political opponents from abroad since, staged a meeting with seven Thai opposition leaders in Moscow, Kommersant reported. Thaksin discussed a new street protest in Bangkok that took place Sunday, a Thai lawmaker told the local Bangkok Post newspaper, the report said.

Russian authorities refused to comment on the visit of Thaksin, who has traveled to Moscow in the past and is said to be friends with Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.

But a Foreign Ministry source told Kommersant that Moscow might be supporting Thaksin in order to secure the release of accused arms dealer Viktor Bout and to obtain state contracts from Bangkok.

Continues:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/ex-thai-pm-in-moscow/416621.html

The Moscow Times - September 20, 2010