Email To Laptop And Desktop Computer

Ken

I am using gmail and hotmail as internet email. I am using incredimail and have tried outlook and outlook express as client servers, but have the same problem. Once the mail is loaded to either the desktop or laptop, it won't also download to the other. I have the options set up to leave a copy of the mail on the gmail or hotmail and it does. It just won't download to both the desktop and laptop, only one or the other.

I "googled" this but couldn't find a solution, other than some saying that by leaving a copy on the internet mail should allow it to be downloaded again to more than one computer, client server. Anybody doing this or know how to do this?

I have exactly the same set-up you have described (internet & incredimail etc)and dont get any problems, it sounds like you need to check your settings again, a little tick in the wrong box is all it needs to screw up. I have looked through mine again and cant see anything obvious to tell you except that as long as the "leave copy on server" is selected you shouldnt have any problems.Make sure the "remove from server"after x number of days is not activated on the advanced tab in incredimail.

Thanks for your reply. Weird. I seem to have the same settings as you, but once I download the email to either the laptop or desktop, that's it. Yes the mail is still on the internet account and it remains "unopened". It seems like once the mail is downloaded from gmail (for example), there is some kind of flag set on the internet gmail account, saying that it has already been downloaded to a client server. Now this could be good if I just set up a new client server on another computer and didn't want to download "thousands" of emails on that account. Yes, in gmail I could go in to settings and set it up to download only from this date forward to stop that from happening. At any rate, still can't figure out how to "sync" the gmail account between two computers, which I gather you are able to do.

if you are using gmail try this setting ... its designed to fix exactly the problem you have

If you're accessing Gmail on multiple clients through POP, Gmail's 'recent mode' makes sure that all messages are made available to each client, rather than only to the first client to access new mail.

Recent mode fetches the last 30 days of mail, regardless of whether it's been sent to another POP client already.

Setting up 'recent mode'

In your POP client settings, replace '[email protected]' in the 'Username' or 'Email' field with 'recent:[email protected]'

Once you enable recent mode, please be sure to configure your POP client to leave messages on the server according to the instructions below:

• Outlook or Outlook Express: on the Advanced tab, check the box next to 'Leave a copy of messages on the server.'
  • Apple Mail: on the Advanced tab, remove the check next to 'Remove copy from server after retrieving a message.'
  • Thunderbird: on the Server Settings tab, check the box next to 'Leave messages on server.'

Edited by lopburi3
personal URL removed

if you are using gmail try this setting ... its designed to fix exactly the problem you have

If you're accessing Gmail on multiple clients through POP, Gmail's 'recent mode' makes sure that all messages are made available to each client, rather than only to the first client to access new mail.

Recent mode fetches the last 30 days of mail, regardless of whether it's been sent to another POP client already.

Setting up 'recent mode'

In your POP client settings, replace '[email protected]' in the 'Username' or 'Email' field with 'recent:[email protected]'

Once you enable recent mode, please be sure to configure your POP client to leave messages on the server according to the instructions below:

• Outlook or Outlook Express: on the Advanced tab, check the box next to 'Leave a copy of messages on the server.'
  • Apple Mail: on the Advanced tab, remove the check next to 'Remove copy from server after retrieving a message.'
  • Thunderbird: on the Server Settings tab, check the box next to 'Leave messages on server.'

:D Well thanks for that. I tried it and it seems to work "as advertised". Had never heard of "recent mode", and my previous "googles" didn't come up with it (guess I didn't type in the right key words).

Thanks again.

Setting up 'recent mode'

Cool. Thanks for this. Works with Spicebird.

Or your could switch to IMAP, a protocol specifically designed to acomplish what your trying to do :)

Checked out the IMAP option. Sadly it appears that Incredimail does not currently support IMAP. Maybe a future release. Oh well. The "recent" option does work, so stuck with that method at the moment.

Or your could switch to IMAP, a protocol specifically designed to acomplish what your trying to do :)

Checked out the IMAP option. Sadly it appears that Incredimail does not currently support IMAP. Maybe a future release. Oh well. The "recent" option does work, so stuck with that method at the moment.

If you create a Gmail accout you can set up Gmail to POP your Incredimail... Then you can use IMAP with Gmail... you can also send email via your incredimail email address through Gmail, so there is no need to change email addresses...

Another benefit of using IMAP is that your Sent Mail and mail in folders also will be synchronized on both your computers. With Outlook, Thunderbird and Apple Mail you can also automatically synchronize your contacts.

I found some easy to follow guides, that explain how to set this up at www.Easy-Email.net.

Hope this helps...

James

The best solution, in my mind, is to get the portable version of Incredimail, put it on a thumb drive, and use it on any computer. All your email is downloaded in one place... on your thumb drive. PM me for the link to where you can get it.