Electrical Safety In Thailand

krayner

Are RCCD's (earth leakage breakers) available in Thailand, failing that does the electrical system in Thailand support their use, ie I am not sure if they have earths in Thailand. Could I bring one from the UK and fit it?

Are RCCD's (earth leakage breakers) available in Thailand, failing that does the electrical system in Thailand support their use, ie I am not sure if they have earths in Thailand. Could I bring one from the UK and fit it?

You can buy them in most hardware stores, New buildings etc are normally earthed now but if not you can buy earth rods etc.

It is not normal to use the words 'electrical' and 'safety' in the same sentence in Thailand :o

To answer your question, yes RCDs (ELCBs or whatever) are readily available here, better yet, adjustable ones.

You could bring a UK one, although it may confuse the local electricians.

Power is 220V 50Hz (or thereabouts), sockets are the flat pin 'US' style, many are 3 pin, some of those are actually earthed. Most sockets will also take 2 pin 'shaver' type plugs.

Most major appliances come with the round 'Schuko' type plugs, the locals just ram these into the wall outlet (ground, what ground) but proper adapters are available.

For your stuff with UK plugs, no problem, Malaysia use UK type 13Amp outlets so adaptors are readily available here.

Piece of cake.

Like wot they said.

But if you do use one, make sure that your earth is tested. Not all places have earths and those that do, may not actually be connected anywhere.

If you don't trust your building, then a fused extension gang might be more reliable.

Failing that, do what I do and never go anywhere without wearing rubber gloves and wellington boots.

Failing that, do what I do and never go anywhere without wearing rubber gloves and wellington boots.!!!!!

If thats your 'thing' good for you,but I doubt many of the rest of us will be joining you.

Unfortunately a local was killed recently involving a pool of water on the floor where he was welding.Needed your wellies then!!

1. RCCB have been made and used here for 30 years.

2. Most new construction has earth wire.

3. You do not require any earth to use RCCB/ELB/GFI as they work on a difference between hot and neutral.

4. Most units are either whole house type or breaker panel. They do not seem to use any outlet or single appliance (other than water heaters) that I know of.

5. Local made and Clipsal from OZ are probably the most popular here.

Edited by lopburi3

My Irish neighbour lost his 3 month old baby to electrocution here in the provinces. What ever you do be safe, well earthed and RCD protected (as stated readily available).

Like wot they said.

Not all places have earths and those that do, may not actually be connected anywhere.

I found out ours is connected.... to the roof's metal frame :o

Which may not be as bad as it seems as the metal frame is most likely directly welded to the rebar in supports and that is probably going well down into the earth.

In my house only the electric shower and one circuit is grounded. Everything else is not grounded....its not a problem....this is more than what most Thai's have...don't be such a worry wart!!...unless you have no common sense....then its best to worry all the time...

In my house only the electric shower and one circuit is grounded.  Everything else is not grounded....its not a problem....this is more than what most Thai's have...don't be such a worry wart!!...unless you have no common sense....then its best to worry all the time...

Perhaps not a problem if it is just we who die; but if it is a loved one it might be a little more tragic.

PLEASE do use a RCCB/ELB/GFI type device to save a life. The cost is only about 2,000 baht.