Expats, Do You Have A Valid Thai Driver'S License?

Jingthing

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said that it isn't the law that you have to have a driving license.

I used this :huh: because I thought it was.

Loz posted that you were correct only if you drive something

This was what my comment about hoping that it wasn't what you were referring to meant.

So my question is basically you're saying that you don't have to have a driving license in Thailand.

Edited by mca

I get a sinking feeling that you're losing the plot mate. Rather depressingly I thought that was what you meant.

So basically it's also a case that there's no law saying you must have a gun license if you don't have a gun. There's no requirement to send your children to school if you don't have kids, you don't have to have a Thai visa if you're Thai etc.

KIndergarten teacher? I suppose we have to be thankful for small mercies that you aren't. How messed up would the kids be? :)

Edited by mca

I'm taking you to task on the fact over your rather puerile statement about you don't have to have a driving license because by law you don't have to drive. What is the point of posting an absolutely obvious statement? Banality personified.

By the way don't post condescending stuff like " This is a bit basic ", " Feeling like a kindergarten teacher now" and " Next " and when somebody responds in kind bleat about " insulting you" It makes you appear rather thin skinned. If you can't take it don't dish it out.

i'm a collector of driver's licenses. the Thai license is my number 17.

This really make me curious.

Do you mean that you have several versions (or even copies) of a couple of driving licenses OR do you mean that you have driving licenses issued by 17 different countries?

i'm a collector of driver's licenses. the Thai license is my number 17.

This really make me curious.

Do you mean that you have several versions (or even copies) of a couple of driving licenses OR do you mean that you have driving licenses issued by 17 different countries?

Or perhaps, 17 different alias's, you know to help confuse the tax officials around the world :lol:

I got stopped and fined for no motorbike licence so to save on further cost I aquired both a car and bike licence.

I also went to a local hospital just to see a doctor and they insisted to see my licence as proof I was not just a tourist but I actually lived here. This may not be a national thing but in this state run hospital it was certainly the case, if I produced a passport I would have had to pay more I was told.

I was prescribed medication but not in the quantities a private hospital would try and sell you and I walked out after a consultation with two types of prescription drugs and change for 150 baht. They also asked to see me again in ten days for another consultation which cost me the total cost of nothing.

They will save you money in the long run.

I have a Thai driver license but in the first place to have a kind of an valid Thai ID card as an foreigner. It relay helps in some situation where you have to approve your ID.

Its much easier than carry around a Passport, Copy of Passport or your ID card form your home country.

And, if you lose it just go to your local police station, pay 50 baht, get this police report, go to your local traffic department and there you go.

Much easier if you lose your passport or what ever.

Due to the obvious fact that at least some people, perhaps many, were confused by this poll, thinking it was only about expats who DRIVE in Thailand, when actually it is about ALL expats, drivers and non-drivers, I have started another poll to focus only on expat NON-DRIVERS and whether they bother with Thai driver's licenses, or not.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm taking you to task on the fact over your rather puerile statement about you don't have to have a driving license because by law you don't have to drive. What is the point of posting an absolutely obvious statement? Banality personified.

By the way don't post condescending stuff like " This is a bit basic ", " Feeling like a kindergarten teacher now" and " Next " and when somebody responds in kind bleat about " insulting you" It makes you appear rather thin skinned. If you can't take it don't dish it out.

Really, I wasn't looking for World War 3. This is rather trivial. I surrender!

I'm not confused, but possibly lazy. I was going to go last month and get both, but every morning I got up to go do the motorbike part, I have a valid car license, it seemed to be raining and I have to be there before 9:30 AM to go through the video, eye, reaction, written and driving tests. It takes most of a day for all of it... At least in Phuket. Now I need new Medical Certificates. I think I'll stop by the Land Transportation Office on my way back from Immigration tomorrow and make sure they haven't changed the requirements again!

• Like 1

OK, I guess I am in the minority and I'm not being a good citizen, but I have been driving here (cars and motorcycles) for nine years and never gotten a Thai licence. I've been stopped numerous times and only been asked for a licence of any kind a small fraction of the time. When I was, I handed them my home license, and the BIB was happy, so long as he got his 200 baht. I've also been in two minor property damage accidents, both of which were judged against the Thai driver. With one accident, I was never asked for a licence at all, and in the second one I was advised that I should "go get a Thai licence), but there was no fine. My insurance policy specifically states that it is valid so long as I am carrying a valid licence from any country.

Yes, I know I should go get my Thai licence. And I will. One these days.....

I've got a valid Thai drivers license for my car but not a motorbike license as I hardly use the bike, only to go to the local shop down the road.

I did get stopped by the BiB in Phuket whilst on holiday and in fact 100 metres from returning the hired bike before going to the airport.

I showed the officer my Thai car license and he said "No good for motorsai" So I then showed him my UK license and he let me go.

Funny, the UK license is for a car also...TiT!!!

^ Yeah, it'll work pretty much all the time, as the BIBs don't know what a valid drivers license, from you home country, should look like.

I have a friend who was driving here for over 5 years on just an ID card from his home country. Worked every time he was pulled over by the BIBs.

However would he had ended up in an accident, then the story would most surely have been different.

Yes. I have one for car and one for motorbike.

Why would anyone not have one?

Easy. If you don't drive in Thailand. Duh.

You could always try reading the other posts to find out why it's useful to have a Thai driving license! It's a no brainer even for those with no brain.

Yes. I have one for car and one for motorbike.

Why would anyone not have one?

Easy. If you don't drive in Thailand. Duh.

You could always try reading the other posts to find out why it's useful to have a Thai driving license! It's a no brainer even for those with no brain.

Did I give you the impression I didn't know there were ID uses of having a Thai driver's license? If so, that was a totally wrong impression. Of course there are. But if you don't drive, you don't NEED one.

Actually, my main interest in this subject IS about non-drivers and their use or non-use of Thai driver's licenses, which is why I started another poll about NON-DRIVERS as this one got botched up with strange misunderstandings.

Edited by Jingthing