Expats, Do You Have A Valid Thai Driver'S License?

Jingthing

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I even got 2 drivers licenses. (bike and car). What i have heard is that if you have an accident with your car and you don't have a valid Thai license they wont pay out any money.

Obviously, most people with cars or motorcycles have a license. This isn't about that. It's about ALL expats, even those who don't run a vehicle.

I probably should have done this poll differentiating between those who actual DRIVE here and those who don't.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I even got 2 drivers licenses. (bike and car). What i have heard is that if you have an accident with your car and you don't have a valid Thai license they wont pay out any money.

Obviously, most people with cars or motorcycles have a license. This isn't about that. It's about ALL expats, even those who don't run a vehicle.

I probably should have done this poll differentiating between those who actual DRIVE here and those who don't.

Jingthing,

Why would you have a license if you don't drive ? only thing i can think of it sometimes helps you get into stuff for Thai prices.

Jingthing,

Why would you have a license if you don't drive ? only thing i can think of it sometimes helps you get into stuff for Thai prices.

Yes, for ID purposes.

• Like 1

I have to renew by Thai (car) driving license next week having previously had a Thai one year and then five year license.

Having had national driving licenses in many countries over the past 38 years, retaking license tests becomes just one of life's little nuisances.

With Thailand's road track record, I wouldn't dare not have a Thai driving license for fear of my insurance possibly being invalidated.

Jingthing,

That's what I also wanted to say that I use my for getting into places at Thai prices e.g. 20 bht instead of 200.

It also serves very well as I.D.

I do drive a car in Thailand and Bangkok and I have a valid Thai driver license.

Not only for legally driving but also for ID purposes. Check-in at hotels, admission to dual priced places, even domestic flights.

The procedure to get one is simple and easy and cheap. Donno why I didn't do it much earlier.

Have two licenses one for car and one for motorcycle.

Apart from driving, they are also good for getting the Thai price at some dual pricing places.

I also use it for checking in at hotels, (however have been refused once as they wanted to see my TM card).

It's a stroke of luck being able to check in at a hotel with simply a Thai driver's license because the regs are that a record must be kept of foreigners passports and visa status for immigration. Although of course TIT.

Round Khon Kaen I always carry mine as ID because there's not a chance I'm going to carry my passport. When I drive out of province then I'll have my passport in the car too.

Some little advice it is a requirement to carry a copy of your passport which I do but having said that I have only been asked once to see it and that was in Bangkok.

You should also carry copy papers of your car/truck book and your Insurance or a copy of it, again in five years only asked for these once in Sukhothai.

Edited by Kwasaki

I would be quite safe in saying that 60-70% of the Thai drivers in my neck of the woods drive without any sort of license at all. For sure, all the 10-year-olds whizzing by on motorbikes don't have them! I used an expired USA license for 5 years here, because the local BIB told me that's all they cared to see (expired or not!). That's central Isaan for you.

However, I agree with other posters, the Thai-rate discounts you get for other products or services, using your Thai license, makes economic sense, even if no one else cares if you have one or not.

Edited by Fookhaht

It's a stroke of luck being able to check in at a hotel with simply a Thai driver's license because the regs are that a record must be kept of foreigners passports and visa status for immigration. Although of course TIT.

Your Thai drivers license bears your passport number (at least mine does). Therefore, it has always worked fine for me for hotel check-ins in upcountry locations.

My Thai D/L came in real handy 2 months back, I returned to the UK for a visit, (not the foggiest where my UK D/L is) Had no problem hiring a car for 3 weeks with it, In LOS it gets used for ….Driving, ID, ID flights and (not to proud to do this) get in at Thai rates. I’d go as far as saying it’s one of the most useful bits of kit I’ve picked up in Thailand.