Shoes

kenny999

I am USA size 12 and am usually able to find both tennis and dress shoes at central. Standard issue flip flops a bit more of a challenge, but have found them at shop next to stationary store near chalong circle.

I have just come back from central no size 46 there other than 1 pair I found which was 7000 bht I dont think so!!!! will try Patong tomorrow, I have size 47 beach type shoes so there are bigger sizes here some where, god this country is about 200 yrs behind everyone else!!!

I am a 46 and thats doable, always a hassle but I can usually find some.. My brother is a 48 and that a case of you dont pick the shes, the shoes pick you.

But finding clothes for biggish guys (and its not like 6ft 3 or 4 is andre the giant) is a struggle. If you find something that fits well, buy 5 pairs.

I am a 46 and thats doable, always a hassle but I can usually find some.. My brother is a 48 and that a case of you dont pick the shes, the shoes pick you.

But finding clothes for biggish guys (and its not like 6ft 3 or 4 is andre the giant) is a struggle. If you find something that fits well, buy 5 pairs.

Impossible to find shoe size 46/47 and when you do find they are way over the top price wise, have found a shop in Patong that makes made to measure shoes not sure of the price yet, going tomorrow as it is my only hope of finding a pair of shoes.

I am not a fan of dress shoes and thats what made to measure is going to be..

Oakleys come in US 12 in the Oakley store.. Usually a few pairs of sport shoes in Central or Jungceylon.. But all the market stuff tops out at 44 sometimes 45 (but then it often aint 45 either !!)

I am not a fan of dress shoes and thats what made to measure is going to be..

Oakleys come in US 12 in the Oakley store.. Usually a few pairs of sport shoes in Central or Jungceylon.. But all the market stuff tops out at 44 sometimes 45 (but then it often aint 45 either !!)

They only top out at 44/45 in this country I have no problem any where else, you would think Thailand being mostly a tourist visited country they would stock shoe sizes of all sizes, as us from the western world are obviously bigger than the Thai's but no the girls in the shops look at you as if you are an allien which of course we are to them.

Oh well shop in Patong should be able to help let's hope the price is reasonable.

I don't even have big feet but its's a total hassle just to even find a pair of runners at sportsworld in jungceylon. Sometimes they do have my size, but it it is not indicated clearly. Many of the shoes stocked are from lots intended for some foreign markets. You have to be able to show the clerk what to look for in the stock in the back of the store.

If you are 12UK, look for 46 1/2 EU or 14 USA or 12 1/2 Australia size to try out. Try writing out the size on a piece of paper in big fonts and handing it to the salesperson.

Not to be a jerk about this but have you considered Singapore? If you buy an advance ticket on Air Asia and take a Sunday morning flight there and back, you may actually find shoes that are affordable and that fit. The quality of shoes in Thailand is on the level of a discounter in some places, e.g. Payless. I made the mistake of putting out 4000B for some dress shoes at Robinsons only to have them fall apart after a couple months. Lesson learned.

Well, stocking shoe sizes is a hassle.

Considering most thais are small size fellas with small feet, stocking big shoe sizes, takes up space, and since its less likely to sell out fast, because locals are not buying, the shoes may stay in stock, till it disintegrated and becomes useless antiques......the rubber, the glue might just wears off/brittle/crack waiting for such customers.

Besides, local expats/farangs/big size guys once assimilated into the thai culture, most likely wears slippers, which is more forgiving at the beach, for the humid weather and for kicking off them slippers when entering into homes.

Maybe Thai Visa might want to put out a sticky thread to advise folks what they should buy in bulk in their home countries and bring/help to handcarry some stuff to those that lives in Thailand.

Not to be a jerk about this but have you considered Singapore? If you buy an advance ticket on Air Asia and take a Sunday morning flight there and back, you may actually find shoes that are affordable and that fit.

LOL, my ex was a asian with size US 12 feet and he had problems buying shoes. Thankfully his workplace allows Caterpilla boots so we manages to find those at some shops and he alternates two pairs of boots for work. (He is a aircraft engineer.)

And I had a hard time buying his clothes, since his shoulder width is more then 22 inches. I resorted to carrying a tailors measuring tape whenever I shop to find him hawaiian shirts he can wear.

And thats in Singapore.

Maybe the thread starter need not go that far to Singapore.

Singapore and Malaysia has this shoe chain shops that is called "Bata". They have decent dress shoes, though I cannot vouch for their quality.

But friends been buying at Bata their dress shoes, because of the exchange rates and being cheap as they are, they work for 1/2 a year and buy new ones when theirs are worn out.

TS can consider getting his feet measured and classified as to what type of feet he has, which shop he usually goes to, and have them shops send the shoes to him regularly, from Singapore or from his home country?

Maybe the thread starter need not go that far to Singapore.

Singapore and Malaysia has this shoe chain shops that is called "Bata".  They have decent dress shoes, though I cannot vouch for their quality.  

But friends been buying at Bata their dress shoes, because of the exchange rates and being cheap as they are, they work for 1/2 a year and buy new ones when theirs are worn out.

TS can consider getting his feet measured and classified as to what type of feet he has, which shop he usually goes to, and have them shops send the shoes to him regularly, from Singapore or from his home country?

There is a big Bata outlet in Phuket Town...

Considering most thais are small size fellas with small feet, stocking big shoe sizes, takes up space, and since its less likely to sell out fast, because locals are not buying, the shoes may stay in stock, till it disintegrated and becomes useless antiques......the rubber, the glue might just wears off/brittle/crack waiting for such customers.

But really.. Is it such out of the box thinking for the guys selling shoes IN PATONG, for whom maybe 90% of the customers spending money are farangs, who are selling male shoes, to have sizes that farang men wear ?? Or for sportworld etc to increase the amount of size 10 - 13 than a normal baan nok shop ??

Check out the Bata Phuket web site. They have 4 stores here and dozens of shoes size 6 to 11 from 299 baht. Most under 1,000 baht

They have a very handy size converter too under the "At tour service" drop down.

Kenny

Bata's US sized tho ?? So same stops out one size too small..

Problem now solved have found a great shop in Patong called Nani Cowboy, hand made leather everything, I am getting a fantastic pair of cow leather and Iguarna leather shoes for 3800 bht I know in the UK a bespoke pair of shoes like this would cost hundreds!!!

Hi

Have you guys tried to ask for big size? i know that the sport shop in central can get them from BKK, i wanted a new pair of Adidas, they did not have my size but the girl ordered from BKK and called me about a week later, so try ask if they can get them.

they can only say no

Hi

Have you guys tried to ask for big size? i know that the sport shop in central can get them from BKK, i wanted a new pair of Adidas, they did not have my size but the girl ordered from BKK and called me about a week later, so try ask if they can get them.

they can only say no

Someone called you back ?? :o

This was in Thailand ?? :D

I bought size 12 US at the Nike shop in PHuket town, in the Ocean shopping center

12 theres less choice, but there is some, in the mall type sports stores.. Its over 12 US that the problems really start I think. The market ones all stop at 43 / 44.. Annoying as thats where the bargains would be.

Alternatively on the by-pass Rd there is a Harley Davidson shop called West Coast Ride and they have a leather shop upstairs that make made to measure shoes and boots. Just pick the out the style you want from the many on display and they measure you up and ready in about 3-5 days. Very reasonably priced too and excellent quality...

But really.. Is it such out of the box thinking for the guys selling shoes IN PATONG, for whom maybe 90% of the customers spending money are farangs, who are selling male shoes, to have sizes that farang men wear ?? Or for sportworld etc to increase the amount of size 10 - 13 than a normal baan nok shop ??

I know you are just grousing.

As mentioned, its just business.

1) How many locals wears size 12 shoes in Phuket Thailand? How many permanent residents (farangs) in Phuket wears size 12 shoes day in and out?

2) How many farangs wears shoes holidaying in Phuket Thailand?

3) Size 12 shoes takes up space. How much you want to pay for warehousing those shoes, that wont be moving fast out of your warehouse you pay rental?

4) How often that cheap big size shoes can keep before they crack or peel off whatever leather and so on before it can be sold?

Bottom line is, just custom make shoes as suggested up there, custom made suits are cheap in Thailand. So it now turns out custom made shoes and boots with exotic leathers is cheap too.

1) How many locals wears size 12 shoes in Phuket Thailand?

Irellevant.. How many local Thais shop in OTOP market patong ?? almost none !!

How many permanent residents (farangs) in Phuket wears size 12 shoes day in and out?

Given by this being a very common problem among my mates, and often a bar stool lament about how hard it is to find those sizes.. Quite a few. Size 11 and 12 isnt really that large.. The local market tops out at 44 ish, which is only mid size male shoes. Now size 13 and 14.. OK those are at the thin tail of the distribution bell curve, but 11 and 12 really isnt.

They sell shoes ?? So obviously think theres a market, its the sizing of farangs they seem to fail to understand not the product. Plus tourists buy copy stuff to take home, if it fits..

3) Size 12 shoes takes up space. How much you want to pay for warehousing those shoes, that wont be moving fast out of your warehouse you pay rental?

They all come in the same size shoeboxes.. And an extra cm on a 30cm shoe isnt changing anything.

4) How often that cheap big size shoes can keep before they crack or peel off whatever leather and so on before it can be sold?

How does that change per size ?? The same thing applies to a size 8 shoe. My argument is there is as much demand for those sizes as the low sizes.. What adult man buys the size 7 - 8 ones they stock ??

Bottom line is, just custom make shoes as suggested up there, custom made suits are cheap in Thailand. So it now turns out custom made shoes and boots with exotic leathers is cheap too.

You show me who makes custom nikes or addidas or like in OTOP the skate shoes like globe / DC etc.. and I will happily have them made.. Bottom line is, if they want to sell sport shoes to the farang market, they should understand the demographics of that market and male shoes dont stop at size 10 for farang males.

1) How many locals wears size 12 shoes in Phuket Thailand?

Irellevant.. How many local Thais shop in OTOP market patong ?? almost none !!

How many permanent residents (farangs) in Phuket wears size 12 shoes day in and out?

Given by this being a very common problem among my mates, and often a bar stool lament about how hard it is to find those sizes.. Quite a few. Size 11 and 12 isnt really that large.. The local market tops out at 44 ish, which is only mid size male shoes. Now size 13 and 14.. OK those are at the thin tail of the distribution bell curve, but 11 and 12 really isnt.

They sell shoes ?? So obviously think theres a market, its the sizing of farangs they seem to fail to understand not the product. Plus tourists buy copy stuff to take home, if it fits..

They all come in the same size shoeboxes.. And an extra cm on a 30cm shoe isnt changing anything.

How does that change per size ?? The same thing applies to a size 8 shoe. My argument is there is as much demand for those sizes as the low sizes.. What adult man buys the size 7 - 8 ones they stock ??

You show me who makes custom nikes or addidas or like in OTOP the skate shoes like globe / DC etc.. and I will happily have them made.. Bottom line is, if they want to sell sport shoes to the farang market, they should understand the demographics of that market and male shoes dont stop at size 10 for farang males.

But at the end of the day, if they are surviving on selling whatever shoe sizes they stock. Will it make a difference for them to stock stuff, they do not wish to understand or should do, because you a consumer felt so. No businessman wishes to consider factors that isnt earning them extras, that you are willing to pay for.

I think we would pay the extra, and its my opinion they are losing business is all..

Size 44 (the max they seem to have) is only a mid size male farang shoe.. They are in the business of selling shoes to farangs.. So you have to assume they are losing a substantial amount of biz by selling them in Thai sizes and not considering the size distribution of farangs.

Citing Thai biz acumen isnt convincing me.

Sorry babe, I wasnt citing thai biz acumen.

I was citing from my own experiences. Though I can understand how some of the thais might concur with my experiences considering their space constraint and cash liquidity.

Odd sizes are the most difficult to clear stock. Especially big sizes for the Thais and asians. Over in USA or Europe, the small sizes at least can be remarket as children's.......

There is also the consideration to mention broad toes and slender toes difference........like I am broad toes. Wearing a ski boot size 36 cramp my toes, even though its a 1/2 size bigger for me. Especially when farang feets tends to be slimmer and longer overrall. Difficulties in stocking stuff for everyone, even if they are of the same size. I believe those broad feet are known as 'Wide'.

Edited by LivinginKata
Off topic remark removed from here and following posts

Problem now solved have found a great shop in Patong called Nani Cowboy, hand made leather everything, I am getting a fantastic pair of cow leather and Iguarna leather shoes for 3800 bht I know in the UK a bespoke pair of shoes like this would cost hundreds!!!

Anyway, this sounded interesting.

Do you think they can tailor made ladies shoes? I never tried ostrich leather or Crocodile leather boots before. Was thinking of a more contemporary design instead of those cowboy/cowgirls boots meant for line dancing.