Have You Used The British Consulate

ChiangMaiFun

If so could you share your experience? I'm asking as, for the first time, I want to use this method (I have used the 800,000 method until now but want to unlock the cash).

were they helpful?

how easy was it?

did you provide just one months proof (as someone I know did) or the three months required by law?

was it just a printed copy from online banking?

can I use a combined source? (ie some pension, some rental income?)

Any insights before I attmept this would be welcomed - thanks

The Customer facing staff at the British Consulate are extremely helpful and polite (Thai). Its always a pleasure to go their unlike my experiences at the Embassy in bangkok.

I've done the letter of income several times, using printed online bank statements ; and several combined sources no problem. They will take a mix of monthly and yearly income also. It really is no problem.

Its about 2400 baht for the pleasure though ;)

The Customer facing staff at the British Consulate are extremely helpful and polite (Thai). Its always a pleasure to go their unlike my experiences at the Embassy in bangkok.

I've done the letter of income several times, using printed online bank statements ; and several combined sources no problem. They will take a mix of monthly and yearly income also. It really is no problem.

Its about 2400 baht for the pleasure though ;)

Great thanks - will they accept just ONE month as proof? also you just take the letter to Immigration and fill out the form? never questioned by them? how long does it take to get you the letter? I'll be glad to release my 800k! thanks again

The letter takes 24 hours and I don't think there are any specific rules about what you have to show them but it's got to be credible. In the past I have showed last year's tax return and a letter from my accountant saying he expected the income to be about the same and another year just statements if I recall. I don't think it's fair (or likely to be successful) to ask them to give (not a gift at 2400 baht) a letter based on flimsy evidence.

Charming and very helpful staff but be aware they close at 11:30 am so go early.

The letter takes 24 hours and I don't think there are any specific rules about what you have to show them but it's got to be credible. In the past I have showed last year's tax return and a letter from my accountant saying he expected the income to be about the same and another year just statements if I recall. I don't think it's fair (or likely to be successful) to ask them to give (not a gift at 2400 baht) a letter based on flimsy evidence.

Charming and very helpful staff but be aware they close at 11:30 am so go early.

11.30? wow! thanks that would have caught me out for sure - I only ask about one month as I have friends who did just that and I was surprised they accepted it...

...the Yanks don't show any proof at all - they just 'swear' they have the income.

Thanks

You could try with one month I guess. I wouldn't risk it. I have always printed off atleast 6 months statements. Some banks allow you to print just the credits so its easier to show and less paper.

Close at 11.30 but they can occasionally process it in the afternoon if your from out of town. So you dont need an overnight stay.

Edited by jubby