Ubon Hotel Ideas

CelticBhoy

Will be in Ubon mid October with the wife and kids

and wondered if someone could point me in the right

direction for a decent place to stay.

Around a 1,000Baht per night is fine.

And where is a decent farang bar/restaurant to hang

out?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

there are a couple of farang operated bars the wrong way cafe all day food, and the n-joy bar which has food from about 5 pm,

there are also many varied restaurants around ubon, check out the ubon section on here

personally i always stayed at the laithong hotel bit more expensive at abt 1300/1400 baht including breakfast but nice rooms and friendly staff.

scotty

Edited by highlander403

The Laithong rate probably does not include breakfast. The Thosang hotel is a much better hotel and has a cracking rate of 1200 baht for a standard room including breakfast at the moment. Thosang is a genuine 5 star and the breakfast is good. Laithong is slightly faded and could not provide any internet facility at all when I stayed there. Staff were uninterested that their lobby desktops were also broken.

That said you need a family room and both these hotels are bad at family rooms - they will offer you small suites which are overpriced (i.e no promotions). Maybe Sunnee Grand has family rooms - probably not - probably same formulaic approach as the other two.

You will probably have to step down to the next tier to get a genuine family room at or near your budget. They will not be as luxurious as the other three but they will be fine and should get within your 1,000 baht budget including breakfast. There are other threads on here that have commented extensively on the likes of Pan House, the rooms behind The Wrong Way, Pathumrat and Nevada Grand (now Ubon International Hotel?). Sri-Isaan aint a bad hotel but I don't know about family rooms. Tokyo Hotel is tolerable with large rooms but old fittings and shower over toilet bathrooms. If you have time and can be bothered ring around and find out who has a genuine family room (ask for size, bed configuration and rate) then post your short list. We Uboners can then tell you what the hotel is like generally.

Rack rates for many higher end Ubon hotels are way overpriced. Don't be put of and look for a promotion rate (which is in fact the standard rate in these economically challenged times).

Hi,

I am staying at the Phadaeng Mansion for three nights later this week, although only staying with my wife, I could ask about family rooms for you, if you want.

We are paying 500 baht/night for the bigger bed in the room.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

Hi,

I am staying at the Phadaeng Mansion for three nights later this week, although only staying with my wife, I could ask about family rooms for you, if you want.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

Good man. That sounds like a great idea to me.

Any info you can get would be helpful.

My wife and I have stayed at Phadaeng Mansion quite a few times. It's a block from the park and not even half a block from Wrong Way Cafe at a good price. Hot water, clean room, and free internet. The tri-fecta of requirements for us.

Here's a map. http://bit.ly/ajGHlb

Hi,

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

Just come back from a five night stay at Phadaeng Mansion in Ubon. A couple of nights longer than planned due to circumstances.

Asked about family rooms for CelticBhoy whilst there, the owner showed me a couple of photos with two double beds in one room and another with three double beds in it. Price was 800 baht for either, so they sort of have family rooms.

It was well worth the 500 baht/per night for myself. Really good rooms and the place is in a great central location. The owner and staff could not have been more obliging during our stay, really really helpful and genuine people.

They have a couple of channels with True Vision Satellite TV, you can phone reception and ask them to change to whatever you fancy. There was a falang staying there with a couple of kids and the cartoon channels appeared quite often, great for the kids. They also supply free coffee at breakfast time, I also seemed to be given the Thai patongo breakfast snack for free as well, much appreciated. The owner is really into his classic art and the walls are adorned with Michel Angelo and Van Gogh paintings. Good free WiFi available in the rooms, also a couple of computers free to use in the lobby areas.

All in, very happy to recommend the Phadaeng Mansion in Ubon, and will definitely be my accommodation of choice if I end up in Ubon again.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

I live in Ubon and have stayed there a few times - for the price and location you can't really beat it.

Its close to the park in the evenings for cheap evening food (the stalls are at the southern end) and a bit of exercise.

Also its close to Sam Chai - i rate the best Thai breakfast in Ubon - try the "joke" (rice porridge with pork bits) or "Kai Gretaa" a hangover special (fried eggs in a pan with bits of pork)

Its on the same side as the Phaedeng on the next block down just before the park.

^ That has sold it for me.

Looking forward to the stay now!

Just come back from a five night stay at Phadaeng Mansion in Ubon. A couple of nights longer than planned due to circumstances.

Asked about family rooms for CelticBhoy whilst there, the owner showed me a couple of photos with two double beds in one room and another with three double beds in it. Price was 800 baht for either, so they sort of have family rooms.

It was well worth the 500 baht/per night for myself. Really good rooms and the place is in a great central location. The owner and staff could not have been more obliging during our stay, really really helpful and genuine people.

They have a couple of channels with True Vision Satellite TV, you can phone reception and ask them to change to whatever you fancy. There was a falang staying there with a couple of kids and the cartoon channels appeared quite often, great for the kids. They also supply free coffee at breakfast time, I also seemed to be given the Thai patongo breakfast snack for free as well, much appreciated. The owner is really into his classic art and the walls are adorned with Michel Angelo and Van Gogh paintings. Good free WiFi available in the rooms, also a couple of computers free to use in the lobby areas.

All in, very happy to recommend the Phadaeng Mansion in Ubon, and will definitely be my accommodation of choice if I end up in Ubon again.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

That Farang was me and I have to say that it is probably as good a hotel as you will get for the price. Plus it it staggering distance from the Wrongway. Jim

Also its close to Sam Chai - i rate the best Thai breakfast in Ubon - try the "joke" (rice porridge with pork bits) or "Kai Gretaa" a hangover special (fried eggs in a pan with bits of pork)

Its on the same side as the Phaedeng on the next block down just before the park.

Think we ate there one morning, is it the place opposite the court building. We had the "Kai Gretaa" but without the hangover. Very good price wise think it was 84 baht for the two of us including two ice-coffees as well.

At the Phadaeng and it is fine for us.

As MrConrad said, the staff are really

friendly and helpful.

A wee touch they have is to ask where

you are from and fly your flag over the

front of the hotel. Full marks!

His saltire will be getting plenty of airing just now, looks like I will have to go back to Ubon again at the end of November, but only for one night this time. Staying at Phaedang again hopefully.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

That Farang was me and I have to say that it is probably as good a hotel as you will get for the price. Plus it it staggering distance from the Wrongway. Jim

Think I exited the hotel one morning with you Jim, I was the farang with the dark blue vigo.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad