Can Cheese Be Racist?

Loz

I'm not sure this would be a big seller in the US or UK... :huh:

60402_153195441370220_100000392942262_330246_2492144_n.jpg

How about a thread for the unusual, nay unlikely brands that we find here in the Kingdom.

index.gif

Mops were invented by a black man so, what better name? A tribute even!

Cleaning floors had always meant scrubbing them on your hands and knees using a scrub brushes and rags. Thomas Stewart envisioned an easier, less painful way. Using a cloth connected to a stick handle and held in place by a metal clasp, Stewart present the world with invention of the mop.
Source: index_01b.gif Edited by Loz
  • Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time I saw the "Black man" brand in Tesco I was a wee bit shocked - this could never happen in the west, but then when thinking about Thailand in many ways you have to think about 50 years back. Then not so shocking I guess...

On the subject of funny names, the shop that always made me giggle was (gone now) a little convenience store outside of Bubble - called "Fat Bird". Also, very nearby was a car rental shop called "Bomb Car Rent". Hmm...

'transam' timestamp='1284990702' post='3895647']

Blimey, imagine if they sold Robinsons Jam here. No link sorry. Brits will know. :rolleyes:

Two of my children still have 'Golliwog' broaches , when they were small they caled them 'Ollimygogs' , one may still have her 'Black Sambo' dolly .

For her birthday last year one of my daughter's friends gave her this huge Sambo doll. One of the creepiest things I've ever seen. There was no way it could ever be considered "Narak" as it were. It was one of those things where you'd watch it out of the corner of your eye to see if it moved. My daughter didn't think to much of it either so I stuffed it on the bottom of a wardrobe with, I'm ashamed to admit it, a sense of relief.

Still waiting to be in bed one night and hear the wardrobe door creep open.....

'Sit and Go' toilet paper always makes me smile when I see it. I'm just waiting for some wizz kid in the company's marketing department to come up with the idea of inserting an H in the first word. :D

I haven't seen "sit and go", not that I'm a big browser of toilet paper, but have seen

post-73341-068859500 1284998779_thumb.jp

I guess it all depends on what you ate the day before.

I'm sure there are a few posters here who remember "Darkie" toothpaste, with the black guy in the top hat on the label. :whistling:

Then some years ago, without explanation, it became "Darlie", and the man in the top hat suddenly took on a deathly pallor! :D

Ah memories of Thailand 10, 15 years ago!

I'm sure there are a few posters here who remember "Darkie" toothpaste, with the black guy in the top hat on the label. :whistling:

Then some years ago, without explanation, it became "Darlie", and the man in the top hat suddenly took on a deathly pallor! :D

Yep, I remember that. I still wish I had bought a tube of it back then just for a novelty item and the lack of PC thinking...

• Like 1

Ys, Coon is also here in Australia. I remember once on a TV show they had an Aboriginal man complaining and asking how would we feel if there was a cheese called Whitey......

I also remember the Darkie toothpaste, shame they changed it!

Ys, Coon is also here in Australia. I remember once on a TV show they had an Aboriginal man complaining and asking how would we feel if there was a cheese called Whitey......

I also remember the Darkie toothpaste, shame they changed it!

It can go both ways... Edam isn't a terribly polite word in Thai.

I don't like racism but I love the way Thailand is completely non PC, in the UK they band golliwog's which to me had no racist intent whatsoever.

Thailand would doubtfully ban such a toy.

Probably England does not want their girls taking a black doll to bed.