Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Visitors must carry their passport with them at all

times. The legal entry age for pubs is 20 not 18. Police

are authorised to raid pubs if they suspect patrons are

consuming drugs on the premises. They will usually

detain all the patrons in the pub while urine tests are

conducted.

Expatriates living in Thailand by law must carry their

passports or other recognised identification.

Tourist Police Division police major-general, Panya

Maman told TTR Weekly there are no exceptions to the

rules. Visitors are required to abide by the same laws

as Thai residents. Citizens are required to carry ID

cards.

In response to letters to the Editor in local English

language newspapers, TTR Weekly asked the Tourist Police

chief to clarify the rules and the degree of strictness

the division adopts in dealing with visitors.

"Everyone should recognise that the same rules that

apply to Thai residents also apply to tourists," he

explained.

One of the rules requires entertainment places and pubs

to deny entrance to people under the age of 20.

"We will definitely arrest the owner of the bar if they

serve young people below the age of 20."

He was referring to a recent case where a Singaporean

tourist, age 18, was arrested for entering a pub. In a

letter to local newspapers the father wrote that he had

been forced to wait at the Police station for three

hours until the early hours of the morning to post bail.

His closing remarks in the letter were predictable:

"Thailand is off our holiday list from now on."

The legal pub entry age in Singapore is 18.

"Normally we're not too strict with tourists on the age

issue, but there have been a few cases that required

action," police major general Panya said.

"A much bigger problem relates to expatriates resident

here who do not carry their passports with them.

"Tourists usually take their passports with them but if

they forget, we will check with their travel agency and

then release them," he said.

Police major general, Panya adds regulations vary for

entertainment places depending on the registration and

location.

"Generally we're not strict with the bar that caters to

foreigner but if we suspect the bar is involved in drugs

then we will raid it and detain people for tests.

" In case of a hotel lobby, customers can drink alcohol

around the clock if they wish, because the hotel

regulations are different," he said.

Despite the barrage of letters and complaints in the

English language press, the tourist police chief is not

convinced that stricter controls has a negative impact

on tourism.

"I doubt if these regulations impact on tourism at all

because we are focusing on night entertainment and the

main government policy is to promote nature tourism, not

bar tourism."

Expatriates living in Thailand by law must carry their

passports or other recognised identification.....

"A much bigger problem relates to expatriates resident

here who do not carry their passports with them.....

Er... but, but... didn't you just say...

Very clear. Thank you, sir. :o

My Thai driving licence has worked for me on the few occasions I've been asked.

My passport is far too valuable to carry arround all the time. I believe a good colour copy of the photo page, TM6 and entry stamp will be accepted most of the time.

Edited by Crossy

My Thai driving licence has worked for me on the few occasions I've been asked.

My passport is far too valuable to carry arround all the time. I believe a good colour copy of the photo page, TM6 and entry stamp will be accepted most of the time.

I argee on both counts.

There is always a difference between the law and common practise in this issue.

So what the Tourist Police outlined is a clear rule.

I agree, however, most of the times one will get away whith copies and/or Thai DL.A few cases have been reported, also in TV, when this was not accepted.

I do carry my PP, when going to areas where a raid might be possible.

Never ws asked for my PP though.

As said, theory and practise.

Only ever once been asked for my passport and that was a couple of weeks ago when going the wrong way down a one way street. Of course, having a driver's license was enough. Tourists should carry their passports, expats DL or other ID is enough. I always carry a miniture photocopy of my passport id page, just as backup though.

Only ever once been asked for my passport and that was a couple of weeks ago when going the wrong way down a one way street. Of course, having a driver's license was enough. Tourists should carry their passports, expats DL or other ID is enough. I always carry a miniture photocopy of my passport id page, just as backup though.

"But officer, I was only going one way" :o

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-07-20 03:48:13)

"But officer, I was only going one way" 

That thought entered my mind, but he was a real miserable looking, anti-farang cop so I didn't bother saying it.

That thought entered my mind, but he was a real miserable looking, anti-farang cop so I didn't bother saying it.

I reckon he's the same one who stopped me for 'speeding' last week, miserable buzzer who wanted 1000 for 'doing 95'. the other half talked him down to 500 but still excessive for the offence of 'being a farang driving a BMW' coz I sure as heck wasn't speeding. He didn't stop all the pickups etc that were whizzing past me in the outside lane, Grrr :o

Edited by Crossy

QUOTE]QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-07-20 03:53:24)

I reckon he's the same one who stopped me for 'speeding' last week, miserable buzzer who wanted 1000 for 'doing 95'. the other half talked him down to 500 but still excessive for the offence of 'being a farang driving a BMW' coz I sure as heck wasn't speeding. He didn't stop all the pickups etc that were whizzing past me in the outside lane, Grrr

It's one of the extra expenses of driving an expensive car I guess. Don't you have tinted windows? My farang friends with nice cars all have, especially in Bangkok so they are not spotted.

If I go for a walk down the beach, all I ever carry is a few hundred baht and keys to the house. I'm always on my own and don't want to leave any more lying around if I go in for a swim.

So, if I'm stopped before I get home, what are the possible penalties for not having my passport or other ID?

If I go for a walk down the beach, all I ever carry is a few hundred baht and keys to the house. I'm always on my own and don't want to leave any more lying around if I go in for a swim.

So, if I'm stopped before I get home, what are the possible penalties for not having my passport or other ID?

The 'few hundred Baht' will do just fine as ID :o

Whilst the cops are quite within their rights to arrest you, I'm quite sure they would be happy to accompany you home to retrieve the passport. Assuming that 'a few' was not enough hundreds.

Edited by Crossy

The 'few hundred Baht' will do just fine as ID :o

Whilst the cops are quite within their rights to arrest you, I'm quite sure they would be happy to accompany you home to retrieve the passport. Assuming that 'a few' was not enough hundreds.

Why don't immigration issue a non-immigrant ID card. I would happily pay for something like that - I am really not keen on being expected to carry my passport all the time.

I know Thai's must have their ID cards - but a passport is not an ID card: it's much bigger, doesn't fit in a wallet and is very valuable in the wrong hands. Could farang in Thailand be targeted by undesirable elements to get their passport?

Clarification on acceptable ID would be good. Leaving grey areas leads to opportunites for corrupt officials to take advantage of situations.

I read it as passport.

Other ID would IMO only be for PR-people, the little booklet.

My "little booklet" is a GIGANTIC red/maroon monster book, which is even bigger and thicker than my passport....the officers at the police station said that its supposed to be the "ID" for PRs like myself, but it is ridiculous to carry..... :o

I just carry a copy of relevant pages of my passport and my PR ID book......(the consequences of losing my passport much outweigh the consequences of being asked for the original of my passport by some brownshirt)......

Edited by trajan

13 years here and have not been asked for my passport from a police stop/check. Have been stopped on a dozen occasions or so for spot checks, and once for an illegal right turn at a place that is time dependent (just looked terribly confused and the officer just got frustrated and told me to go :D Each case no request for passport. Even when flying within Thailand I show the DL at the gate check point, no problem. However I do take it with me when I leave the district (fly) and it is always in my car but not on my person.

Also, I do use belts and suspenders just in case. Wallet size copy of my key passport pages, my Thai DL, and my University ID card which has laser engraved photo and magnet strip on it similar to the new Thai ID cards plus my official looking University business card with CMU & Government logo on it. Figure one of these should work :o