Is Thai Id Card Required To Get Name On Tabien-Ban?

Hi,

I was born in Bangkok in 1971 too, but have been staying with my husband and family in Mumbai, India for the past 15 years.

I had a Thai passport (until recently) and my name was on the Ta Bian Ban as well. However, I have no ID card. I have now landed in a peculiar situation because when I submitted my passport for renewal (e-Passport) I received a reply from the consulate here that the authorities in BKK required an updated Ta Bien Ban. So now I have no Tabien Ban, no ID card and an expired passport.

I've posted on this forum earlier, where I received this reply.

"The Thai emabssy/cosnuate can issue you an emergency travel document, with which you can travel back to Thailand. You can also travel back on your exired passport.

In Thailand you wil need a friend or family meber who is willing to put you on their tabien ban, than you can get a ID-card there and apply for a passport at a passport office in Thailand. The registering part on the tabien ban and getting the ID-card just takes a few hours. Next you go to a passport office and you can get the passport in about 3 or 4 days, believe they also have an express service. But that may only be in Bangkok."

Now, my husband left for Bangkok, located some relatives and accompanied them to the local Amphur. There the authorities told him that since my name was not on the central database, I would need to prove my nationality first. This led them to the Immigration office in Suan Phlu. There they showed all my documents and were told that all the documents were fine and I should not have any problem. But it seems that first I need to have an ID card. For the ID card, I must personally be present in Thailand.

Now my problem is that I cannot leave my family in India for more than a few days, and I understand that the process of confirming my nationality, obtaining an ID card and then Tabien Ban and finally passport can take upwards of a month to complete.

My question is: Can I not just get a Tabien Ban (my relatives register me on their Tabien Ban) and then obtain my passport on the strength of the Tabien Ban? Is getting an ID card a prerequisite?

Thanks

This seems strange, as for to get a new passport from a Thai embassy there is no need to have a Thai ID-card. Only when you get a Thai passport in Thailand itself should you have a Thai ID-card and be on a tabien Baan. Many Thais living abroad don't have a Thai ID-card and are not on a tabien baan.

Also the old passport is proof of your nationality, so why does it need to be proven again.

Suggest you contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Consular Section about this.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/

To get a passport or be registered on a tabien baan in Thailand you will first need a Thai ID-card.

This seems strange, as for to get a new passport from a Thai embassy there is no need to have a Thai ID-card. Only when you get a Thai passport in Thailand itself should you have a Thai ID-card and be on a tabien Baan. Many Thais living abroad don't have a Thai ID-card and are not on a tabien baan.

Also the old passport is proof of your nationality, so why does it need to be proven again.

Suggest you contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Consular Section about this.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/

To get a passport or be registered on a tabien baan in Thailand you will first need a Thai ID-card.

Thanks for your reply.

In that case, how do we convince the consul in Mumbai? She says she sent the e-passport application to Bangkok and the renewal application is stalled there. I even have the application number.

Thanks

Contact Consular Service, passport section directly with your application number. The problem is probably not that you don't have a Thai ID-card, but that you are not in the database. In essence, they can't find a record of you being a Thai national.

They can advise you about what to do best.

Yes,

I think this is exactly the problem. Now I need to know of the fastest way (either from within or from outside Thailand) of getting my name on the database.

Any ideas, please let me know. I really cannot spend so many weeks away on this.

Thanks

you can enter Thailand on an expired Thai passport. the question is can you leave India on an expired Thai passport.

Perhaps the embassy can give it an temporary extension for you to go back to Thailand and sort out the ID card and tabieen baan. Otherwise they are rendering you stateless.

Yes,

Now it seems that they can and they will. It's called a Identity Certificate and is valid for a single entry into Thailand.

Many thanks to all those who replied to my posts.

It's still not clear to me why I cannot be granted an ID card quickly and painlessly if I am a Thai citizen, was born in Thailand and hold a Thai passport but am staying overseas?

Yes,

Now it seems that they can and they will. It's called a Identity Certificate and is valid for a single entry into Thailand.

Many thanks to all those who replied to my posts.

It's still not clear to me why I cannot be granted an ID card quickly and painlessly if I am a Thai citizen, was born in Thailand and hold a Thai passport but am staying overseas?

Doing it face to face helps, especially if you have the original documents.

My mother moved away from Thailand in the early 1970's and got struck off the Tabien Baan. In about 2008 she returned to get an ID card. She was on the central registry, however someone had stolen her identity. It was sorted, but needed to be done face to face, quite efficiently.