Download Firefox & Thunderbird 1.06

mouse

Seems in their hurry to upgrade to version 1.05 in both Firefox and Thunderbird some critical code was overwritten in Thunderbird and Firefox reopening an old security problem. All users of Firefox are strongly encouraged to download the latest verison bringing both to 1.06. Enjoy!

Firefox are bugging me now!!! :o Why they have not thoughfully produced good security is beyond me....

I like their software but they are also having problems with Win32.Theef.M remaining in their cache... I would advise anyone to check and remove it manually from Documents and Settings....if their software does not remove it...

:D

Seems in their hurry to upgrade to version 1.05 in both Firefox and Thunderbird some critical code was overwritten in Thunderbird and Firefox reopening an old security problem.  All users of Firefox are strongly encouraged to download the latest version bringing both to 1.06.  Enjoy!

Not again... :D

...Maxthron is so much better.

Agree, Maxthon is fantastic!

If I could get FireFox to export its bookmarks back into the Favourites folder, I would give it a try. But no extension I've tried does it correctly, so I'll stay with FF.

I think for light users of the Internet, Maxthon is good enough. But FireFox's myriad of extensions allow you to do things that you wouldn't have dreamt about until you try them.

After all, some people don't even understand what "tabbed browsing" is all about, and still use IE's "Back" button :o:D :D :D

Seems in their hurry to upgrade to version 1.05 in both Firefox and Thunderbird some critical code was overwritten in Thunderbird and Firefox reopening an old security problem.  All users of Firefox are strongly encouraged to download the latest version bringing both to 1.06.  Enjoy!

Not again... :D

...Maxthron is so much better.

Agree, Maxthon is fantastic!

If I could get FireFox to export its bookmarks back into the Favourites folder, I would give it a try. But no extension I've tried does it correctly, so I'll stay with FF.

I think for light users of the Internet, Maxthon is good enough. But FireFox's myriad of extensions allow you to do things that you wouldn't have dreamt about until you try them.

After all, some people don't even understand what "tabbed browsing" is all about, and still use IE's "Back" button :o:D :D :D

Could you perhaps export your bookmarks to here.

www.mybookmaks.com

Then import them back to a diffirent browser,I use that site to store them online,so I can access them anywhere.Its free sign up

www.mybookmaks.com

Then import them back to a diffirent browser,I use that site to store them online,so I can access them anywhere.Its free sign up

Thanks for that - I've Googled for "bookmark web stores" and there are quite a few. Not sure I want them to see ALL my bookmarks though. :D:o:D

RDN, l used Favorites Converter recently. My Firefox bookmarks transferred over to IE and Maxthon without a problem. There is also another extension by the same author that transfers from IE to Firefox but l haven't needed to use that. There are a few other versions l've seen, as well as some extensions that just keep all your bookmarks on the web. There are a number of options to do that that have been around for years but not many made just for Firefox.

RDN, l used Favorites Converter recently. My Firefox bookmarks transferred over to IE and Maxthon without a problem. ...

Yes, that's the one I've tried, but for me it crashes with an error that I've posted on one of the FireFox forums - where indeed other people have also reported the problem.

I think the problem is caused by either:

1. the full name of the bookmark is too long - including the name of the folders and sub-folders, or

2. the nesting of the folders is too deep - I have very well structured, but deeply nested bookmarks, or

3. there are strange characters in the bookmarks (Thai?, trademark sign? etc.) that aren't acceptable as a folder or Internet shortcut name.

But maybe it's due to something else :o .

I did try to investigate why it kept crashing, and managed to modify some of the bookmark names to prevent it crashing at some places, but it always crashed somewhere else. I even started re-structuring so the bookmarks weren't nested so deeply, but the problem was always there, and trying to find the cause was like nailing jelly to a wall. So I gave up.

Maybe I'll give it another go with FF 1.0.6. - haven't tried since 1.0.2.

Interesting. I used it with 1.0.4.

I don't have any bookmarks with long names as l always edit mine so l can read the title without having to stretch the side panel to read them. I don't have any with Thai characters just now.

I have all my bookmarks in just ten folders which are kept in the bookmarks toolbar. One bookmark has 20 folders and about ten subfolders, altogether about 200 bookmarks in the folder, maybe 500 bookmarks in all, so l doubt if that's the reason.

If you want to try it with 1.0.6 then l'd wait at least a month with a problem extension before giving it another try. What you could do is have a spare profile using just a basic Firefox setup that you can use to test new extensions. If it breaks that profile of Firefox you should still be able to use your others.

I think you use Listzilla, do you know there is a version where you can upload all your extensions to a website if you have one and then reload them to a newer version of Firefox from there? Much easier so l've been told. When 1.1 comes out they expect to have the updating of extensions improved so you don't have to keep on downloading them again everytime you have a major problem. I think it's meant to update like Windows Update or an anti-virus program update.

Interesting. I used it with 1.0.4.

I don't have any bookmarks with long names as l always edit mine so l can read the title without having to stretch the side panel to read them.

I know what you mean and I do the same to some regularly used bookmark folders. I wish there was a way you could specify the maximum numbers characters displayed. Some of these web sites have ridiculously long names!

I don't have any with Thai characters just now.

I have all my bookmarks in just ten folders which are kept in the bookmarks toolbar. One bookmark has 20 folders and about ten subfolders, altogether about 200 bookmarks in the folder, maybe 500 bookmarks in all, so l doubt if that's the reason.

My bookmarks.html file is just over 1 MB, but it's not easy to estimate how many folders or bookmarks I have. Unfortunately, I never like to throw away a bookmark, so my Favourites have been growing for years, and now they have been imported into FF, the bookmarks file keeps growing too!

If you want to try it with 1.0.6 then I'd wait at least a month with a problem extension before giving it another try.

I know what you mean... but too late! I'm now running 1.0.6. I have not configured all my extensions yet, but enough to get going again at TV.

What you could do is have a spare profile using just a basic Firefox setup that you can use to test new extensions. If it breaks that profile of Firefox you should still be able to use your others.

That's a dam.n good idea! I'll do that just to make sure it's not some other extension interfering. Cheers!

I think you use Listzilla, do you know there is a version where you can upload all your extensions to  a website if you have one and then reload them to a newer version of Firefox from there? Much easier so I've been told. When 1.1 comes out they expect to have the updating of extensions improved so you don't have to keep on downloading them again everytime you have a major problem. I think it's meant to update like Windows Update or an anti-virus program update.

Well what I have done is download all .xpi files to my PC. I've got 274 extensions at the moment and add new versions as and when I find out about them. Then, installing the extensions that I use (currently 19) to a fresh install of FF is just a matter of dragging the .xpi file onto a shortcut to FF (usually on my desktop) to get the installation started, then close, open and close FF to complete the installation. This is repeated for every extension. Fortunately my new PC is quick, so this doesn't take long even if it sounds laborious.

Here are the instructions that I have copied from the web about re-installing FF:

How to do a fresh install of Firefox:

--------------------------------------------

1. Export your Adblock list.

4. Close Firefox.

5. Backup your "Profiles" directory to somewhere safe.

6. Uninstall Firefox.

7. Delete the Firefox program directory (which should be optionally deleted during uninstall, but check to make sure)

8. Delete the Firefox "Profiles" directory (making sure your backup is still safe).

9. Install Firefox, and let it launch.

10. When the "Import Wizard" launches, select "Don't import anything" and then click "Next".

11. Let Firefox continue to launch.

12. Set your the Options the way you want, (how long history is kept, and how to handle cookies).

13. Close Firefox.

14. Copy these files* into your freshly created profile directory

e.g.  "C:\Documents and Settings\acer\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\d7jpnwoz.default":

* bookmarks.html

* cert8.db

* cookies.txt

* formhistory.dat

* history.dat

* hostperm.1

* key3.db

* signons.txt

* user.js (if present)

15. Start Firefox

16. Install all extensions one at a time restarting Firefox after each

That's what I've just done. I'll let you know if I can successfully export my bookmarks after I've configured my other extensions and made a new profile.

Cheers!

RDN, easiest way to edit the names is to get into the habit of doing it when you bookmark them in the first place. I've got 435kb in one profile, a lot less in my other profiles. I wonder if 1mb of bookmarks is going to have some effect on the speed of Firefox so I usually prune mine every couple of months. If l don't use a bookmark for a couple of months l usually delete it unless l think it's one that l will have trouble finding again with Google.

I usually have two profiles of Firefox open at the same time. Each looks very different as l use different themes. One has everyday bookmarks for news, forums, general web surfing etc. another has finance etc. with easily switchable proxies if l need them. I don't use proxies on the first profile as it slows things down too much at times. For internet radio l now use Maxthon as my favorite station (not any other) for some reason crashes Firefox about once a week, no idea why.

I haven't used drag and dropping for extensions for a long time but if you want to have so many extensions on tap then it sounds reasonable. I'm running 25 extensions on this profile, 18 on another. I used to run up to 50 but like bookmarks, if l don't use them often l ask myself if l really need them and the answer is usually no. I gave up on AdBlock and any tabbrowser extensions a long time ago, not worth the problems for me. These days l try to keep everything as streamlined as possible. Still running 1.0.4 which is set up perfectly for my needs so l'm going to leave as is for now on this PC.

www.mybookmaks.com

Thanks for that - I've Googled for "bookmark web stores" and there are quite a few. Not sure I want them to see ALL my bookmarks though. :D:o:D

Funny you should mention that,for some reason today when I went to open mybookmarks.com,it will not accept my pass/username.(I know it of by heart as I've used them for 5 years)So I tried the "forgotten password"help.

Guess what their password 4 hints are. Mothers maidem name,last 4 digets of credit card,place of birth and social security number.

With that info,plus they know you banks ect from your storage they have all they need to simply hack.

Stupidly I tried 2 without succes,as I could not remember which one I used originally,it would not have been my CC or social number.

Very suspicious

RDN, l used Favorites Converter recently. ...

I just tried it with 1.0.6 and with no other extensions installed - and got the usual error message:

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)

[nsIFileOutputStream.init]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS

frame :: chrome://booktofav/content/booktofav.js :: anonymous :: line 113" data: no]

:o

I just had a read of the user comments for this extension. Certainly a love hate one judging by the reviews. Either it works fine or it destroys your IE bookmarks. :o

RDN, if you wanted to give it one more try you could try this little experiment. Back up your IE Favorites and then delete them from their default location so the IE Favorites folder is now empty. Do the same for your Firefox bookmarks. In your now empty Bookmarks create a dozen new bookmarks, editing the names so you don't have any lengthy titles. Then try exporting them again to IE and see what happens.

I just had a read of the user comments for this extension. Certainly a love hate one judging by the reviews. Either it works fine or it destroys your IE bookmarks.  :o

Naturally (for me, because I'm careful :D ), I made a safe of copy my favourites folder before I tried the converter. So no harm done to my favourites as I simply deleted the partially converted bookmarks and copied back my safe copy.

RDN, if you wanted to give it one more try you could try this little experiment. Back up your IE Favorites and then delete them from their default location so the IE Favorites folder is now empty. Do the same for your Firefox bookmarks. In your now empty Bookmarks create a dozen new bookmarks, editing the names so you don't have any lengthy titles. Then try exporting them again to IE and see what happens.

Yes, that's simple enough to do. And I could try making a very short list of bookmarks but deeply nested or with one of them having a very long name, just to see what happens.

OK, so if I manage to find the problem I'll post it on the Firefox forum so that maybe the author will fix it. I can't do it now - must get some fresh air, beer and a game or two of pool :D

I use yahoo bookmarks to backup my IE bookmarks. it seems to do the job for me. but it seems to only allow to store up to 900 bookmarks.

I like it all in one place. yahoo has briefcase, and photos sections too.

briefcase for a virtual 30mb harddrive.

photos for storing your photos on the internet.

Upgraded with Firefox numerous times and never seem to lose my bookmarks. :o

In Firefox, your bookmarks are stored in one file "bookmarks.html" - in your profile directory.

The problem comes when you want to try another browser - Maxthon, for example - that uses the "Favourites" folder containing individual Internet shortcuts. This folder is not updated when you use Firefox and when you add new bookmarks to Firefox. These new bookmarks only go into the "bookmarks.html" file, they do not get added as Internet shortcuts to your "Favourites" folder. So when you change to Maxthon or go back to IE, you don't see the new bookmarks that you have added since you started using Firefox

The reverse is not true - when you start to use Firefox, it will import your "favourites" and will produce an identical set of "bookmarks".

There are some programs and extensions for Firefox that purport to convert the "bookmarks.html" file back into individual Internet shortcuts in your "favourites" folder. But they don't work with some bookmarks.html files. This is what we are trying to understand: why do some people's bookmarks convert OK, others do not.

hi'

the simpliest thing to do, is to copy in a safe folder your bookmarks(and update the backup from time to time) and when reinstall, just copy over the default bookmark file of firefox or ANY other browser :o

but, when it's only an update everything stay in place even extensions(some become unvalid for the new version, just check the extensions update later.

and your bookmarks don't change.

they usualy are in c;\documents and settings/application data/mozilla/firefox/profiles/xxxyydefault. a file named bookmarks.html :D

francois

Ahh ok cheers for the explanation - bit lost without the background info.

No problems, Brit. Sometimes I like to summarise the situation to see if everyone agrees with me - I wasn't trying to lecture you or anyone else :D . This forum can be very useful as a "repository" for information, so summarising the problem now will make it easy in the future to remember what the problem was if it occurs again. Of, course, that assumes it's going to get fixed soon :D:o