Wiring Euros

Hope this is the right place to post this.

I have been going to Thailand for many years. Previously I only dealt in dollars as far as wiring money to my bank account in Thailand. However, this year I have a lot of Euros in a western bank account which I would like to use.

I would be wiring to SCB. My question is about the various conversions that would take place when I wire. Do I have the option to keep Euros as Euros when they hit my account? Or will they be converted into Bahts? Or will they be converted into Dollars first, and then Bahts? My preference would probably be to keep them as Euros, and then change them into Bahts small bits at a time as necessary, but I don't know if this is possible.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help as far as how to conduct this transaction in the best way. I seem to remember a box I could check when wiring Dollars which somehow saved me money on converting it to Bahts (if I didn't check that box, I got charged extra?). But I can't remember the details.

Thanks.

"I would be wiring to SCB. My question is about the various conversions that would take place when I wire.

Do I have the option to keep Euros as Euros when they hit my account? Or will they be converted into Bahts? Or will they be converted into Dollars first, and then Bahts?"

if you bank with SCB any transfer of foreign currency valued USD 25k (presently €UR 19k) or more will trigger a phone call from Bangkok Bank asking you whether you agree to convert at a given rate. you then have the option to wait up to three weeks and convert whenever you think it is convenient. wire/swift transfers are converted without you being asked if the value is below the above mentioned. €URos will converted direct to THB.

I transferred euros (2-3k) monthly from an account in saudi to a thai baht Kasikorn account in Thailand and the transfers were always routed thru the Commerzbank in Frankfurt..the funds on arrival at the thai bank account are then converted to baht at the current rate...

if you want to transfer euros to a foreign currency account in Thailand then you have to set one up which can be tricky as many thai banks don't extend this privilege to foreigners without certain conditions...it's doable with a western bank like HSBC but they are a pain in the azz to deal with unless you have a huge balance and a 'Premier' account...