Bangkok's Chatuchak Market Becomes Non Smoking Zone

webfact

Non smoking policy to be effective in Chatuchak market from Oct 1

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Strict non smoking policy will be effective in Chatuchak Weekend Market from 1 October, along with the policy to ban alcoholic beverage sales in the market.

According to Chatuchak Market Director Arun Sricharoon, smoking will be restricted in Chatuchak Market from 1 October 2010 onward, in line with the Protection of Non-Smokers’ Health Act, B.E. 2553 (2010). Offenders will have to pay a maximum fine of 2,000 THB. Meanwhile, state authorities and municipal officials will help detect illegal sale of alcoholic beverage in the market.

Chatuchak Market officials were tasked to promote non-smoking campaign to visitors and stall operators throughout September by handing out flyers, posting campaign posters around the market as well as making public service announcement.

Chatuchak Weekend Market, known by locals as JJ Market, is one of the world’s largest outdoor markets, featuring up to 15,000 stalls, with more than 200,000 visitor arrivals each day.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-09-21 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smoking aside, since when is it illegal to sell a beer in a market?

If anyone thinks it is a smart thing to smoke a cigarette whilst under plastic tarpaulin, surrounded by 1000 mt of counterfeit football shirts, with a maze as your escape route you need your head read.

Of course, whilst they are busy "detecting" the dastardly smokers, I wonder if they will bother to notice the plethora of counterfeit clothing for sale in the place. I wish the BIB a happy and prosperous donation collection over the next few weeks.

• Like 2

I haven't been in Chatuchak market for at least seven years I think. Remember the place as too crowded, too hot. Certainly not a place where you can easily light-up and enjoy your fag (I don't smoke anyway). A smoking ban sound like some people have nothing else to do.

The place looked like a deathtrap at times. Cooking gas cylinders everywhere. Any charcoal fire accident would have killed hundreds I think. To put some regulation on that seems much more worthwhile. Achievable ? No hot food in a market in Thailand ? Keep dreaming ?

Here we go again...

"Offenders will have to pay a maximum fine of 2,000 THB."

If that is the maxiumum, what is the minimum?

Same crap that happened in Sukhumvit - and the Police herded Farang in by the hundreds and not a single Thai was charged. And you can bet yo ass boy, the 2,000 baht at Sukhumvit never hit consolidated revenue banks!

There are a lot less smokers around these days but anywhere Farang can be, and become a target, gets some stupid rule levied against them simply for money making ventures. Why not Prathunam? There are hundreds of Thai's there smoking intermingled with Farang - so go collect boys!

As of Oct. 1, 2010.

So for example are you telling me that Anusorn market in Chiangmai which contains dozens of restaurants and bars won't be allowed to serve beer? Every wet market with a fish restaurant attached to it in Bangkok won't be allowed to serve beer in the restaurant?

Is selling alcohol illegal in a market in Thailand as of Oct 1st? I don't remember reading this one anywhere. I presume they mean unlicensed sale.

Oh hel_l no.

Drop the attempts at political correctness Thailand. It doesn't suit you.

I'll respect this smoking ban about as much as I respect any smoking ban.

Offenders will have to pay a maximum fine of 2,000 THB.

Huaah Huuah.Guess farlang will have to pay song pann, khon thai soon or nit noi......song baht?:annoyed:

The march of the zealots continues.....

Zealots my cute little hiney, it is about time that this filthy habit is banned from public space. If you want to poison the place, do it in your own house...

Any farang that is so stupid to smoke, deserves to be fined the max amount

• Like 2

The march of the zealots continues.....

Zealots my cute little hiney, it is about time that this filthy habit is banned from public space. If you want to poison the place, do it in your own house...

Any farang that is so stupid to smoke, deserves to be fined the max amount

And I bet you drive a car. Haven't you noticed they stink and maybe you ain't heard they kill millions every year.

Rumor has it they also contribute to global warming, but the self-righteous drivers feel free to slag off smokers. Why?

Pots, kettles, and black springs to mind.

• Like 2

If anyone thinks it is a smart thing to smoke a cigarette whilst under plastic tarpaulin, surrounded by 1000 mt of counterfeit football shirts, with a maze as your escape route you need your head read.

Of course, whilst they are busy "detecting" the dastardly smokers, I wonder if they will bother to notice the plethora of counterfeit clothing for sale in the place. I wish the BIB a happy and prosperous donation collection over the next few weeks.

What about the hundreds of animals classified as endangered species (turtles, birds, monkeys, mammals) smuggled and sold at WE market every weekend? I have never seen any police control in that part of the market as if everything was legal there!

• Like 1

As of Oct. 1, 2010.

The smoking law is from about June (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381191-public-spots-in-thailand-go-smoke-free/).

I don't where they got the alcohol ban from, but it is only talking about Chatuchuk market, not all markets.

As a former smoker, I do not see what the problem is. I always respected no smoking zones and would not consider smoking in a market. I would walk out of the market area to a place where there are fewer people before lighting up. That is, unless I had had a few beers, in which case common sense went out of the window, but they've got a fix for that too. :lol:

There is no doubt smoking is an anti social habit. It pollutes, smells on the skin of all who undertake it and it causes a huge drain on finances in medical markets for those on social security and health insurances. The public at large pas for the billions a year in medical losses trying to treat these people when it is time for them to check out. Smokers are generally unaware of their environment, the discomfort of others and neither care nor wish to alter the situation.

The sooner cancer kicks in, the pain the suffering that goes with cancer, and the final journey up the Thai chimney to join their friends, the better. Ban them? - who cares. Sooner they all die the better we are off. The only things that pisses me off is the tobacco companies and the addictive substances added to pure tobacco. And yes I was a smoker (heavy) so have been there done that - but the journey up the chimney will have to wait now.

• Like 2