Police Control

basjke

Agreed! Those of us who choose to drive a bike sometimes are doing so at our peril with pickups and SUV's driving like idiots all over the place. I lost count of the times I've been run off the road by an oncoming SUV who couldn't care less about a bike. Also don't forget the buses and trucks who seem to think that traffic lights are advisory only. Plenty of better places to start than hunting the lowest layer of the food chain.

Lee of Noi's Bar comes to mind....btw...off topic, but did anyone hear if that Fortuner driver ever got prosecuted?

I've been supervising a private project just south of the Ocean Marina over the past couple months. Basically spending all day about 20 meters off the edge of Sukhumvit Rd.

The BiB set up in front of me a couple weeks ago.

I'm 100% certain they were out for some tea/Mekong money, as they were pulling cars over for driving on the inside lane.

They set up their (death) trap on the low side of a rise in the road, so drivers don't see them till they've topped the rise.

Fricking maniacs almost caused a dozen accidents in 30 minutes. Cars are whizzing along at 120 kph, see all the bullshit on the left, so they go to the right lane whilst standing on their brakes, and the cops give them a ticket for driving on the inside lane. <deleted> is it there for if you're not supposed to drive in it?

I'm sure this was their reasoning for the death trap as I got a ticket for exactly the same thing just north of there a couple weeks previously. I'd just passed a car, and there was another about 300 meters beyond him that was obviously going about 60 kph & I was doing 90, so why whip in & out of the lanes? There was no traffic behind me.

Next thing I see the kamikaze BiB waving me over. What a load of horse-shit.

Edited by jaywalker
  • Like 1

Maybe the cops here watch too much old US television? Can't wait till they reach the CSI NY series.....Nah, that'd be too much like work.

Barney & Rosco are their role models for life.

post-33689-048549900 1285266419_thumb.jp

post-33689-037721200 1285266430_thumb.jp

Edited by jaywalker

Anyone bullying cops anywhere is none too smart IMHO and certainly it's not wise here.

If they were actual police worthy of respect, they would not be bullied or laughed at by anyone.

Respect is earned, not given automatically because you wear a uniform (that is a size too small). If they actually did their job, people who take them more seriously.

• Like 1

I travelled to Jomtien and back this morning and there were MANY police and maybe 50 bikes stopped at a large roadcheck under the flyover.

Such a waste of time and money when, as one poster rightly pointed out, there is so much other crime in this city which these corrupt idiots should be following up on.

I was also stopped in Bangkok twice this week on my motorbike.

Do you think times are increasingly hard for the BIB?

People here are always complaining about the lax enforcement of laws here and especially where scooters are concerned so tell me how does the BIB win the battle? I'm not defending the entire legal system here but it seems to me they have to start somewhere and the scooters are as good a place as any. As in any modern society if you can afford to own and operate any vehicle then you can afford to follow the laws, you pays your money and takes your chances..

This afternoon I used the new highway into Pattaya and took the exit Sattahip which comes down on the railway roads.As soon as I enter the exit,at which time you still have some speed,I meet a motorbike with sidecar with 5 people on it.In the opposite direction of course as they were entering the highway.I had do do some strange maneouvres to avoid driving over them and probably killing them instantly.

This is something that happens all the time at that point,and the police are aware of because I saw it once happen while 2 policemen were present and not taking any action.

That would be a good place to start the law enforcement and make the roads safer instead of extorting money becaus youy don't wear the right color of underwear.

My wife and I are both foreigners and our 2 cars are both under finance with a Thai finance company, both cars are in my name, no guarantor, no company involved etc etc, just outright under my name, but here's the catch, the finance company will hold your car book until the loan has been fully paid out, so showing this to the BIB might be a challenge for us and anyone others with finance on their vehicles.

How about asking the finance company for a copy of the green book? It cant be the first car that has used their services, so they must know you need the papers.

As far as the police are concerned, of course its easy to see that the laws are not enforced, but when they enforce the laws, then there are complaints about that too.

How about asking the finance company for a copy of the green book? It cant be the first car that has used their services, so they must know you need the papers.

As far as the police are concerned, of course its easy to see that the laws are not enforced, but when they enforce the laws, then there are complaints about that too.

I understand where you come from but lets face the reality.I mentioned Soi Khao Talo already in the OP because that's where I live.Whenever I drive from this soi up to Sukhumvit I have to pass the traffic lights.Everytime the lights turn green at my side I will have to wait and watch carefully because at least 4 cars or buses will jump red ligt from the right side.After they have passed yet another few motorbikes will jump the red light from the opposite side.So after all these traffic offenders have passed and the the green light at my side is close to turning red again it is safe for me to cross sukhumvit.This same scenario happens at each and every light cycle.

Do I ever see traffic police at those lights to catch these attempted murderers.........NO NEVER,however they are in clear view and easy to stop from the police box at the Thepprasit traffic lights which are only 50 meters away from that point and are red at the same time.

But they are on a daily base posted between both sets of traffic lights or just a few hundred meters into the soi to extort money from easy targets who shake on their legs when they see a uniform and comply to every demand these useless BIB make to fill their own pockets.

If it was the other way around and they went after the real offenders,read attempted murderers,they would earn some respect from people who do their best to adhere to the traffic laws.

Edited by basjke
  • Like 2

I understand where you come from but lets face the reality.I mentioned Soi Khao Talo already in the OP because that's where I live.Whenever I drive from this soi up to Sukhumvit I have to pass the traffic lights.Everytime the lights turn green at my side I will have to wait and watch carefully because at least 4 cars or buses will jump red ligt from the right side.After they have passed yet another few motorbikes will jump the red light from the opposite side.So after all these traffic offenders have passed and the the green light at my side is close to turning red again it is safe for me to cross sukhumvit.This same scenario happens at each and every light cycle.

Do I ever see traffic police at those lights to catch these attempted murderers.........NO NEVER,however they are in clear view and easy to stop from the police box at the Thepprasit traffic lights which are only 50 meters away from that point and are red at the same time.

But they are on a daily base posted between both sets of traffic lights or just a few hundred meters into the soi to extort money from easy targets who shake on their legs when they see a uniform and comply to every demand these useless BIB make to fill their own pockets.

If it was the other way around and they went after the real offenders,read attempted murderers,they would earn some respect from people who do their best to adhere to the traffic laws.

Those lights at Khao Talo are even more dangerous than most as the countdown timers are out of sync and exacerbates the red light jumping problem. When the KhaoTalo direction timer reaches zero it remains on red for about 3-4 seconds while the lights are still showing green on the Sukhumvit. With the Thai suicide bikers predilection for anticipating the green, this is yet another accident waiting to happen. As you say the police box is only a few metres away and you would think that they might do something about it, but no..........it's easier to tap up the bikers with no helmets for some cash in their pockets rather than do something constructive that might save a few lives.

• Like 1

So don't be fooled if they ask for a copy of your green book.If it was realy the law he would have ticketed me for sure,but the fact that he didn't is more then proof enough that he didn't have a leg to stand on if I decided to take it further on.

Consider yourself very lucky to have got away with not having at least a photo copy of the green books main details with you which you must carry with you for police inspection.

Many Thai policemen have such a poor command of English its sometimes easier for them to pass on writing a ticket when the foreigner doesnt understand what hes asking for which in this case was either the green book or photo copies of the green book.

In some ways he was telling you he wanted to see proof of ownership which you didnt have so he would have been within the law in issuing you a ticket.

Take it from me it is not a con.

ThaiLaws.com

http://www.thailaws.com/body_english_acts.htm

It covers hundreds of the Thai law ACTS all in English.

Each law can be downloaded in PDF format.

You might find it useful for any legal problems or just as a reference.

Edited by nam-thip
  • Like 1

My wife and I are both foreigners and our 2 cars are both under finance with a Thai finance company, both cars are in my name, no guarantor, no company involved etc etc, just outright under my name, but here's the catch, the finance company will hold your car book until the loan has been fully paid out, so showing this to the BIB might be a challenge for us and anyone others with finance on their vehicles.

My wifes motorbike's green book is held by the finance company but they provided her with photo-copies of the main pages which is acceptable at a police stop/inspection.

And what about driving with a moto taxi?

Is there any laws about that? What should we have with us?

You most certainly should be wearing a helmet for one.

Under Thai law you are required to carry your passport with you at all times but it is acceptable to have a shrunken photo copy of the picture page which most copy shops will do for around 150 baht and laminate.

You then have a credit card sized copy of your passport details which you can slip into your wallet.

In my case on the reverse side i have my 1-year visa details.

Police stopping most traffic on Soi Sukhumvit 89 just after you cross the rail tracks (AKA Soi Pattaya RC) this morning, checking documents and under the seats etc. for the motorcycle riders, they stopped me in my truck but the policeman just stuck his head in the window and had a look inside, i was on my own, and then he just waved me through - no request for documents or money??? Maybe they are looking for something / someone in particular?

I have been stopped a few times on a bike. I present all of the documents (yes, I do have a photo copy of my green book) and usually move on about 50% of the time. The other 50% involves paying the fine "on the spot" or reaching for my paperwork and being waved on. The other day (for the first time in 5 years) I saw a cop on Beach Road actually writing out a parking ticket! For the most part I play it cool with the cops but if it seems to out of the ordinary I tend to push the issue.

I've been supervising a private project just south of the Ocean Marina over the past couple months. Basically spending all day about 20 meters off the edge of Sukhumvit Rd.

I'm 100% certain they were out for some tea/Mekong money, as they were pulling cars over for driving on the inside lane.

They set up their (death) trap on the low side of a rise in the road, so drivers don't see them till they've topped the rise.

Fricking maniacs almost caused a dozen accidents in 30 minutes. Cars are whizzing along at 120 kph, see all the bullshit on the left, so they go to the right lane whilst standing on their brakes, and the cops give them a ticket for driving on the inside lane. <deleted> is it there for if you're not supposed to drive in it?

I'm sure this was their reasoning for the death trap as I got a ticket for exactly the same thing just north of there a couple weeks previously. I'd just passed a car, and there was another about 300 meters beyond him that was obviously going about 60 kph & I was doing 90, so why whip in & out of the lanes? There was no traffic behind me.

I have seen these guys also during the past few weeks. Funny...I drove right past them on my scooter with my friend on the back. No helmets. Didn't even get a second look. But they did have 2 or 3 cars pulled over...guess they were too busy? :)

A few weeks ago they were setup just north of the Ambassador. Pulling over cars. I was moving fairly fast, but with the flow. One pointed to me. I slowed down. Not sure what happened, but I think he saw I was a farang and didn't want the hassle...so he motioned for me to keep going.

This carrying green books around with you, where are you suposed to put them??? i have a phantom which has a fixed seat so i cant put them under there, also a ninja with the same problem, but im not sure i would do that anyway if the bike is stolen the thief has all of the documents to go :blink::blink::blink:

This carrying green books around with you, where are you suposed to put them??? i have a phantom which has a fixed seat so i cant put them under there, also a ninja with the same problem, but im not sure i would do that anyway if the bike is stolen the thief has all of the documents to go :blink::blink::blink:

I just laminated my tax sticker at Office Depot. I just get a plastic ziplock bag and put the insurance info, Tax Sticker and copy of my green book in there. Then just throw it in my pocket and I am ready to go. It helps to protect everything for when I get caught in the rain. Plenty of room in there if I have to throw in the money and cell phone.

In safety terms, a near miss is just as dangerous as a hit.

I have seen these guys also during the past few weeks. Funny...I drove right past them on my scooter with my friend on the back. No helmets. Didn't even get a second look. But they did have 2 or 3 cars pulled over...guess they were too busy? :)

A few weeks ago they were setup just north of the Ambassador. Pulling over cars. I was moving fairly fast, but with the flow. One pointed to me. I slowed down. Not sure what happened, but I think he saw I was a farang and didn't want the hassle...so he motioned for me to keep going.

Yeah that's where they popped me for 200 baht.

Be careful (no helmets) about 2.8 km South of Ocean Marina. They've been there everyday for the past 2 months pulling over every single motorcycle that goes by them.

Yeah that's where they popped me for 200 baht.

Be careful (no helmets) about 2.8 km South of Ocean Marina. They've been there everyday for the past 2 months pulling over every single motorcycle that goes by them.

Yup,except 3 female students on one motorbike without a helmet as I saw overthere today.

This by the way highlights once again what a joke the police in this country is.Go take a look at the school exits where police is present and hundreds of motorbikes with 3 or more students,many times underage,with no helmets or driving license leave the school without the copper giving a blimp.

Those same students who should be taught to respect the traffic laws if they want to survive traffic in future life.

• Like 1

To suggest all Thai police are crooks is like saying all farangs are fat and rude.

Neither is true.

If you want to live here harmoniously, drop the cliché generalisms.

Yes but I would suggest you have a much better chance of meeting a well mannered fit falang. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think times are increasingly hard for the BIB?

The 1st of September is the last day that income tax should/must be paid to the tax revenue offices.

Probably the police-HR-departments deducted the last bit of the income tax from their last salary, leaving not much to live from.

So, they need some extra cash this (and probably the next) month.

Not to get too much side-tracked here, but isn't March 31st the deadline for paying personal income tax in Thailand?