Jiaogulan

thaiherb

it doesn't taste that great by itself but can be sweetened or mixed with other teas etc.

It's considered to be an adaptogenic immortality herb in Chinese medicine.

I find better effects from Reishi or Ginseng tea but everybody is different and has different imbalances.

It's available in a wide range of shops in CM and not expensive.

It's now available in capsule, freeze dried to retain all the goodness of the herbs and no bad taste. 1 capsule a day is all you need. (Pure herbs with no additives).

If someone wants more info on this product as well as Noni, Amalaki, Mangosteen or Moringa pure herbs Please PM me. FDA and BOI approved.

You will feel much better after only 5 days usage. :)

It's now available in capsule, freeze dried to retain all the goodness of the herbs and no bad taste. 1 capsule a day is all you need. (Pure herbs with no additives).

If someone wants more info on this product as well as Noni, Amalaki, Mangosteen or Moringa pure herbs Please PM me. FDA and BOI approved.

You will feel much better after only 5 days usage. :)

Looks like your avatar could use a few capsules.....

Thanks, That's me on a good day Ha ha ha ha, Your a funny guy. :D

The way I understand it, jiaogulan or any of the tonic chinese herbs are meant to be used as part of a balanced, healthy approach to life, ideally in conjunction with proper diet, exercise, some kind of meditation, etc. Taken alone, i.e without these other elements, jiaogulan is unlikely to have much of an effect. Even with all of the above, the effect is going to be subtle in that it supports wellness rather than delivering it.

It's interesting - I drank jiaogulan tea regularly for a couple of years and then stopped for a while. Only last week I thought about starting up again. And here's this topic. Cosmic.

I read the reports about this and took it every day for over six months to give it a fair go. Like most of the 'miracle supplements' I've tried over many decades, there was no noticeable benefit.

You will find that if you take in it's hot state, such as in tea, the goodness and benefit is boiled away, same as with any Vegetable and the like. Boiling destroys it.

An uncooked vegetable is the best way to eat it. Didn't you mum tell you that. :)

Just my own experience: I was taking Jiaogulan capsules for near 2 years as it was supposed to be a great adaptogenic, excellent for bad cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc...

I had an heart attack at home last june in CM...i "received" a 4 bypass surgery...

Now I won't use Jiaogulan anymore... for sure!

Isn't that the stuff that Old American Ed was selling in Chiang Mai for many years? Boy was he an interesting character.

Yes, Ed was a character. He grew Jiaogulan and exported it.

Jiaogulan is not a miracle supplement and shouldn't be advertised as such. CM Das has it right, it's a good herb with many benefits, if used as part of a healthy lifestyle. I've used it for years off and on and feel a benefit of energy and clarity when I do.

Marc Cofer http://www.aumtea.com/ has the best bulk Jiougulan tea product locally that I've used, it's strong, sweet and feels good. I mix it with some green, oolong or black tea leaves and steep for 5 minutes, but it's good by itself too, although as obvious from some of the posts, it's not for everyone if taste is your primary basis for judgement.

When I'm in the US doing tree work, I rely on an energy formula product that I order from Jagulana herbal products. Alpine Energy combines Jiaogulan, Ginseng, Danshen and Kiwi fruit extract. Now there's an amazing herbal formula. don

Just my own experience: I was taking Jiaogulan capsules for near 2 years as it was supposed to be a great adaptogenic, excellent for bad cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc...

I had an heart attack at home last june in CM...i "received" a 4 bypass surgery...

Now I won't use Jiaogulan anymore... for sure!

Sorry to hear that mypet. I'm not a doctor and I don't know your background or family history etc. (Maybe if you had not taken the Jiaogulan, you might be dead now?) but as cm das mentioned a balanced diet is also a priority in life, but my experiences with Jiaogulan has been positive and I have a lot more energy etc now than before, so I will keep on taking the Tabs.

Good luck and good health to you.

yeah its pretty hard to imagine Jiogulan causing a heart attack. The two events would be hard to link. Sounds almost like a cargo cult association.

Too true, my father had a heart attack at 53 yrs old and died. Maybe if he had taken Jiaogulan he may have still been alive today?

yeah its pretty hard to imagine Jiogulan causing a heart attack. The two events would be hard to link. Sounds almost like a cargo cult association.

Too true, my father had a heart attack at 53 yrs old and died. Maybe if he had taken Jiaogulan he may have still been alive today?

Funny, and I was thinking: If my father had left my mother he still would have lived...wink.gif ( I love them both btw..)

Recovering from being (bed)sick for years, I can only say that supplements and herbs helped me a lot. I also see food as medicine. And about raw veggies...

well, the body has to work harder to digest and it cools the body, so it is not always better. Timing is the key.

it doesn't taste that great by itself but can be sweetened or mixed with other teas etc.

It's considered to be an adaptogenic immortality herb in Chinese medicine.

I find better effects from Reishi or Ginseng tea but everybody is different and has different imbalances.

It's available in a wide range of shops in CM and not expensive.

never met any immortals, but if it works it could be popular. it'll bugger up the population balance though.

can you smoke it?

its pretty hard to imagine Jiogulan causing a heart attack. The two events would be hard to link.

I think the point was that he had a heart attack despite the nutritional supplements/herbs.

I came down with fairly severe arthritis at the age of 25 despite years of vitamins, a healthy, semi-vegetarian diet and lots of exercise and I know that I have been somewhat skeptical of the superiority of a health-nut lifestyle ever sense.

It seems to me that - within reason - genes and luck have a lot more to do with good health than spirulina or Noni juice.

Gods-of-Happiness-Office-and-Longevity.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.

I don't like the taste of it.  It tasted more like medicine than tea.  In fact it isn't Tea at all in the first place!   

I think it's some kind of herbal tea.   It is widely available.  I'm a fan of fine Chinese green tea.  I tried Jiaogulan once and I hated it.  

What did you hate about it,the taste or the effect??

its pretty hard to imagine Jiogulan causing a heart attack. The two events would be hard to link.

I think the point was that he had a heart attack despite the nutritional supplements/herbs.

I came down with fairly severe arthritis at the age of 25 despite years of vitamins, a healthy, semi-vegetarian diet and lots of exercise and I know that I have been somewhat skeptical of the superiority of a health-nut lifestyle ever sense.

It seems to me that - within reason - genes and luck have a lot more to do with good health than spirulina or Noni juice.

Gods-of-Happiness-Office-and-Longevity.jpg

UG

I don't think you read his post

"Just my own experience: I was taking Jiaogulan capsules for near 2 years as it was supposed to be a great adaptogenic, excellent for bad cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc...

Now I won't use Jiaogulan anymore... for sure! "

The guy is saying he will not use it anymore after suffering a heart attack. If he thought it didn't protect him like a bullet proof vest or something then makes no sense to say "I won't use Jiogulan anymore... for sure"

If it wasn't a magic shield or something then wouldn't a person just say something like "I don't think its worth the effort or cost etc"

What else was this guy doing that period? Breathing in chiang mai with the air pollution? exercise daily? watch TV? meditate?

Would he now swear off exercise, restful sleep and drinking water because he still had a heart attack despite those practices supposedly offering heart health protection?

You could be correct, but that is not how I understood it. I thought he was pointing out that he now thinks it is a waste of money.

By the way, I was not necessarily agreeing with him - I am quite interested in holistic health - but I can understand his sentiments. :wai:

Gynostemma Pentaphyllum

I bought some tea recommended by my son from the Kings store at the airport. I have blood work done at least every six months and was told I had a high potassium and needed to control my diet. Diet said no tea, bummer as I don't drink coffee. Going through the kichen cabinet I saw the package and pulled it out. reading the name from the package I goggled it and found it was leaves from a type of wild cucumber. Seemed to me it wasn't tea per se so I started drinking it. Its slightly sweet and not unpleasant. A few months later my potassium levels were just fine. whether or not it helped I dunno. Its just supposed to help bring your body into balance, but is supposedly stronger by far than ginseng.

I do know it won't keep kidney stones away as I now am the proud owner of five of them suckers :blink:

Have been dringking Jiaogulan for about 2 years now.

The best tasting from a tea shop in Paragon, BKK.

If you only want stems, no leaves, buy it from the kings project store at Suvanabum:angry::bah:

Now I have a plant . Growing nicely. Mix it with some (also home grown) mint. Ad a few drops of lemon juice. No sugar. I like it.

A Thai therapist (massage lady) says she eats 8 leaves per day. Her massage is excellent:rolleyes:(Sorry, No picture:(

post-80541-043505000 1285215447_thumb.jp

Jiaogulan is an adaptogen, antioxidant, and supports the immune system.

It originates from china, but they've been growing it in northern thailand for a while.

This is the information that i got from good life herbal restaruant in pai whose owner sells about 40 different kinds of teas, including jiaogulan. I drink a pot of it a couple of times a week and i like the sort of nutty taste. As for the health benefits, well in a nutshell antioxidants neutralise free radicals that form in our body as a result of ingesting toxins. And since our air, water, and much of our foods have been poisoned by the big bad corporate world we need all the antioxidants we can get. I believe this also means jiaogulan helps reduce cholesterol levels

I can't remember what the apdaptogenic bit does. Anything that supports the immune system helps keep those pill-pushers working in hospitals and clinics out of our lives.

I buy mine at the good life herbal place in pai, but am lucky enough to get supplies sometimes direct from china. I find the taste noticeably better from china. I also think the good life jiaogulan is fresher than the stuff i've seen for sale in chiang mai, and better value.

Incidentally this place in pai make a dried powder that has equal amounts of jiaogulan, spirulina, and wheatgrass juice. It's also just a great place to relax and eat fantastic food. I've never known anywhere like it for the range of teas for sale. Might be nowhere better in the world! Currently he is selling oolongs that smell like and have a hint of taste of: milk, chocolate, strawberry.

It's worth going to pai just to visit the good life!

• Like 1

Jiaogulan is an adaptogen, antioxidant, and supports the immune system.

It originates from china, but they've been growing it in northern thailand for a while.

Goggle gynostemma pentaphyllum you find all sorts of facts and claims. I tend to believe some and discard others, but it's history is known.

What we drink comes from either Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai area depending on where momma goes to buy it the kilo bags. As we're stuck in Atlanta till July, momma ships it over. Online its about $69 per half kilo so even with shipping charges its still much less to send her shopping and to the post office, than to buy online. Besides it gives a her a good feeling that shes helping us, and she is.

• 5 months later...

If you only want stems, no leaves, buy it from the kings project store at Suvanabum:angry::bah:

Now I have a plant . Growing nicely. Mix it with some (also home grown) mint. Ad a few drops of lemon juice. No sugar. I like it.

A Thai therapist (massage lady) says she eats 8 leaves per day. Her massage is excellent:rolleyes:(Sorry, No picture:(

I'm a beginning gerdener and longtime drinker of jiaogulan. Nice going, how did you start your plant, from seed? Is it easy to grow?

I'm a beginning gerdener and longtime drinker of jiaogulan. Nice going, how did you start your plant, from seed? Is it easy to grow?

I drink about 3 lt of herbal infusions per day. Some dried leaves , and some fresh from my garden.

I am not much of a gardener, certainly no green thumb. Just playing around with some pots on my balcony.

My first Jiaogulan I brought from Switzerland. It lasted 6 month. Now I have two plants from Chatuchak market.

I have not seen flowers or seeds yet.

Easiest to grow and nice to drink is Peppermint.

And if you like Italian Basil, pretty easy as well.

Or try with an avocado pit.

Good luck.

Good luck