Tuskers To Close

Greenside

Ahh thats sad news to hear.

Tuskers is run by the best hosts in any bar in CM.

agree with that in spades. tuskers bar will be missed as will chas and rachel as hosts, but happily they're choosing to remain in chiang mai which to anyone who knows them is a great thing. very best of luck guys and thanks.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

~

I cannot personally bemoan the closure of Tuskers since I eased away from pub crawling after the accident (I accidently discovered that I can survive without my usual 1+ litres/day of alcohol in my bloodstream).

Even if Tuskers continued, it could never be the same without you, C&R!

Besides, since we are almost next door neighbors (I can see in your windows), we may find time to visit and I can help you fully realize the benefits of retirement as we languish in the luxury of our mutual palaces.

I do NOT however, babysit!

Dust in the Wind...

Is this the thread to start promoting other businesses? I don't think so.

So ? thanks to that post I heard about this new place and nothing wrong with that, mentioning a possible new alternative fits perfect in this treat about expats loosing a place..

No negativism please, I have a TV for that.

but maybe it would have been more sensitive to have opened up a new thread about the new place ;)

Pity they did not get the 1 or 2 mil baht they wished b4 leaving---- regardless Chas I am sure u had an experience.

Not one that paid off- yet u had a good biz...

Now we talk key money with owner

And you think you can do better than Chas and rachel, ? only in ya dreams my friend and I hope the Landlord stiffs you good and proper

i only went a few times to Tuskers but for sure those guys worked there asses off to make it a success there marketing was great they obviously have the ex pat community behind them and still could not make it.chaing Mai is just not busy enough to sustain so many Bars

Wish them the best in there next adventure and Jayinoz look forward to you posting your woes here in the future

Edited by FarangCravings

I echo all the same sweet sentiments towards Tuskers and Chas n Rachel as the others. So it adds up like this, all things considered: Tuskers, feel sad. Chas n Rachel - quite excited for them. The new Cafe Del Sol location - excited and happy for them, and that part of town having a new draw to it. Given all proprietors being friends n knowing each other, as well as liked by us, their civilian customers, I think it's perfectly in line to mention that some things go and some things are reborn.

However, that Saturday night swan song party at Tuskers is gonna be one night to try and remember ! I hope Greenside or someone else will be taking incriminating photos !

Last thought - I think celebrating a new page in Chas n Rachels' lives is a much better way of looking at this situation.

• Like 1

Is this the thread to start promoting other businesses? I don't think so.

So ? thanks to that post I heard about this new place and nothing wrong with that, mentioning a possible new alternative fits perfect in this treat about expats loosing a place..

No negativism please, I have a TV for that.

but maybe it would have been more sensitive to have opened up a new thread about the new place ;)

Well, yes, if the main goal had been to tout/recommend a place. Instead, I used it as an example against someone who implied that all/many businesses in Chiang Mai are closing or not doing well. I wanted to give an example of one that is not only doing well, but expanding. I could also list Number 1 bar among these. Maybe slightly diverging from the topic, I'll grant you that, but not more so than the individual I replied to, who seemed to be whining about businesses closing in Chiang Mai; there's a whole separate topic on that going as we speak.

Anyway. Any chance of chocolate curry this Saturday? B)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

^ Yes, that. And let's focus on the positives: Chas and Rachel have decided to move on to other things, but will remain in Chiang Mai. So we'll see them around at any of the several hundred bars that still exist in Chiang Mai, perhaps when the baby is a little older. Not sure if doom and gloom is mandatory (or even appropriate) in this discussion; surely this is not their attitude, seeing there will be a big party coming up! I may even join it if I can arrange someone to babysit my own baby. Tuskers and other places in that soi always made for a decent warm-up to Spicy.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I have been reliably informed that the staff are to be employed at other venues, in fact Gui could basically cherry pick whatever job she wanted, she was a great addition to the Tuskers team after they started out.

I really enjoyed and will always have fond memories of my visits to Tuskers, and can count myself fortunate to have known Chas and Rachele quite well and to have sampled the "chocolate curry", I think it was mutton. :)

So I wish Chas and Rachele the very best for the future.

A terrific couple that gave and gave to make Chiang Mai a better place to live. Tuskers was a terrific venue and will certainly be missed. I look forward to seeing you both C&R (hopefully NOT for the last time) Saturday night.

Edited by venturalaw

Tuskers always seemed to make 'an effort' for people to have somewhere to go, particularly sporting events and certain festivities.

I think back to the recent World Cup and although I was unable to go there, I saw the effort that went into making it more than somewhere just to watch TV. Other pubs and restaurants merely said "we will have the WC on" or "I've installed a 50" TV".....as if this would draw in customers. As I recall, these places that thought it was their 'right' to have customers walk in merely by virtue of having a TV, got it very wrong and I believe from the feedback I've received, that by far the best atmosphere was at Tuskers.

Chas and Rachel were so obviously an asset for many people and I wish them the very best for the future and best wishes for the new baby.

Yes, they will be a hard act to follow but I don't think people should assume that there isn't anyone out there who could do a good job too.

Rachel and I would like to thank everyone for their best wishes and for the support over the past few years. We would especially like to thank George, Baz and all the TV crew for being the official TV party venue and for all their help.

It is very nice to be appreciated.

We hope to see people of the next 3 days for a good and happy farewell drink.

I hope all those who have expressed their condolences over the closing of Tuskers and who have hardly ever darkened the door of the place don't come to the party tonight.

Guaranteed to happen.......

I will not be there but even if I went once Tusker's has had the benifit of recomendations I have made to friends who do go to bars. Because of their widespread activities C & R are a part of many peoples lives in Chiangmai and not just their customers and it is not inapropriate for people who are not regulars to say goodbye to an era in CM.

It is inappropriate for people who have never or hardly ever spent any time or money in Tuskers to go along to a farewell party for the same bar when a little bit more of their custom over the years at the many events that Chas and Rachel have gone to enormous trouble to organise (apart from the freebie TV parties that so many of you on this site are more than willing to attend) might not have led to tonight's closing party.

Another thing is that tonight is not a freebie so the parasites amongst you should stay well clear lest you have to spend some money on food or drink.

I hope all those who have expressed their condolences over the closing of Tuskers and who have hardly ever darkened the door of the place don't come to the party tonight.

Guaranteed to happen.......

I will not be there but even if I went once Tusker's has had the benifit of recomendations I have made to friends who do go to bars. Because of their widespread activities C & R are a part of many peoples lives in Chiangmai and not just their customers and it is not inapropriate for people who are not regulars to say goodbye to an era in CM.

nice one. not really his shout.

It is inappropriate for people who have never or hardly ever spent any time or money in Tuskers to go along to a farewell party for the same bar when a little bit more of their custom over the years at the many events that Chas and Rachel have gone to enormous trouble to organise (apart from the freebie TV parties that so many of you on this site are more than willing to attend) might not have led to tonight's closing party.

Another thing is that tonight is not a freebie so the parasites amongst you should stay well clear lest you have to spend some money on food or drink.

If you had followed earlier threads you would find that the closing is due to them starting a family.

• Like 1

if tonight is not a freebie the more the merrier, unless you're there. are you gonna be on the door?

• Like 1

This is ignorant snobbery of the worst kind.

Not only are you trying to reinforce some kind of 'clique' mentality which creates an 'us and them' atmosphere, you actually want fewer people to come than would otherwise.

Way to anticipate a party, dude.

• Like 2

This is ignorant snobbery of the worst kind.

Not only are you trying to reinforce some kind of 'clique' mentality which creates an 'us and them' atmosphere, you actually want fewer people to come than would otherwise.

Way to anticipate a party, dude.

hanuman that pretty well sums this up and the bar itself for me, plus a bit of eliteism (from personal experience having been there). Sorry to see any business close whatever the reason but it won't affect me and in reality the vast majority of the expats who live here in Chiang Mai. Have a good party.

• Like 1

All the best chaps. ;)

It's clear where your allegiance lies but that type of talk will do nothing but scare away any potential revenue, which I'm sure the boss' don't want. Probably best keep your thoughts to yourself on the matter.

• Like 1