Line Strenght

robblok

I like fishing with a line that is thin. For pla bug the big ones id use 40-50 lbs (talking about 30kg plus pla bugs) How much would you use for pla saway in the 10 -20 kg class ? could 20 lbs be enough. I think so but i know i would loose pla bug if they take the bait (Happens seldom with bread).

Do you guys think line thickness influences bite rate here in Thailand. I know it did in Holland.

Im just asking for opinions I have tested things and i would say that 20 lbs is often enough if you have room to play with the fish. I even landed a pla bug of 30+ kg on a 30lbs line once. Just took more time.

I have used all makes of nylon line here in LOS and non have been below 40lb.At some point I.ve always been broken of.Now I use 65lb braid which is stronger with a lower diameter than nylon.You have to be careful

has it has no stretch that you don't pull the hook out.With the colour of the water here I,m not sure how much vision the fish have.

I have used all makes of nylon line here in LOS and non have been below 40lb.At some point I.ve always been broken of.Now I use 65lb braid which is stronger with a lower diameter than nylon.You have to be careful

has it has no stretch that you don't pull the hook out.With the colour of the water here I,m not sure how much vision the fish have.

Ok I have been below 40lbs often even below 30 and caught nice fish with them. I like braids but they have one major drawback and that is that most of them float. If you fish with a float then i hate braids otherwise they are nice.

Got 2 sinking braids of 20 and 25 lbs and a sinkingbraid of 60lbs. However if you fish with floats its still hard. In bungsamran i would use stronger lines then in other places because of the conditions.

Obviously you can bank the smaller fish or even the odd larger fish using light tackle.But my theory is if you hook one of the monsters why take the risk.Has for the braid you are correct and to be truthful I presumed

it was sinking braid and only realised it was floating after I bought it:rolleyes: . I have overcome this problem somewhat by using washing up liquid that aids the line to sink.Also with the braids strength and low

diameter it helps in being able to cast further.If I was able to aquire a quality line has back home my preference would be nylon.I only use bottom baits.

Obviously you can bank the smaller fish or even the odd larger fish using light tackle.But my theory is if you hook one of the monsters why take the risk.Has for the braid you are correct and to be truthful I presumed

it was sinking braid and only realised it was floating after I bought it:rolleyes: . I have overcome this problem somewhat by using washing up liquid that aids the line to sink.Also with the braids strength and low

diameter it helps in being able to cast further.If I was able to aquire a quality line has back home my preference would be nylon.I only use bottom baits.

In general i fish with 2 rods on ngau nam, one with bread for the big pla sawai up to 20kg that you can handle with other kind of lines.

The other rod baited with either lam or massage bread, there i use a minimum of 40lbs line either nylon or braid. As i have reels with 2 spools i keep a nylon and a braid one ready. Depending if i fish floating or with bottom bait.

Wow, I never use anything larger than 15 lbs. I see some Thais fishing with line that is way beyond what is necessary. When they hook anything it is just a matter of winding in. There is no way the line will break. I do not see the point myself. Where is the sport? It does not stop with hooking the fish, it also includes playing the fish in. I'm suprised to see that it is not a Thai thing and that foreign anglers seem to have the same ethic -Get the fish in at all costs.

Having said that, I have never been to any park specifically to target monsters. Most of the places I go to the fish average between 1 to 5 kgs. Even so, most of the others fishing there are using 30lb up test strength line.

I used to regularly fish Bungsamran with 25lb mono and a light rod, it was a lot of fun, I did of course lose a fair few throughout the day, but the ones I landed (which took forever) were a lot of fun.

I usually fish two rods one with 65lbs braid and a light gear set up (i.e. 25lb mono).

Edited by quiksilva

Just to add, that there is a train of thought that higher line specification means a shorter fight which is fairer to the fish, as they don't get too exhausted. Higher line ratings in sea fishing is also good if you happen to be in shark territory (so you end up reeling fewer fish heads)

Choice of line strength depends on the flex of the rod. A stout rod doesn't bend too much and it's possible to put too much pressure on a fish... and hence break off. Line diameter occasionally has an effect on the "feel" for the fish, and if they feel anything un-natural they will drop the bait. But, as water clarity in most Thai fishing ponds is quite murky the visual factor doesn't seem to be a problem. I regularly land Pla buk (Mekong catfish) up to 50 pounds on 12 pound test line. But that is because I normally fish with a fly rod. When we use bait for sturgeon in Canada we normally use 50 pound braided line because the braid is limper than mono and the sturgeon don't feel it when they suck in the bait.

Ian_with_BIG_catfish_Em.jpg

Our sturgeon in BC regularly run up to 200 kilos, and sometimes a LOT more. This is just a little one. Friends of mine caught one 3 meters long a month ago.

It was taken on 50 pound braided leader.

Sturgeon_1_Em.jpg

Has they don't use safe rigs here in Thailand it's not healthy for the fish if you get broke off and their stuck with a spring feeder in their mouths.This is another reason for using line that will enable you to

bank the larger fish.Not sure how many fish you would land at Bung sam or shadow using 15ib line.I,ve actually been snapped on the 65lb braid.

Just to add, that there is a train of thought that higher line specification means a shorter fight which is fairer to the fish, as they don't get too exhausted. Higher line ratings in sea fishing is also good if you happen to be in shark territory (so you end up reeling fewer fish heads)

I get the logic for the shark territory. I rarely if ever go sea fishing.

I hadn't thought about exhausting the fish. But then 90 percent of what I catch I take home. While Sawai et al make good game fish, I try to avoid them because they don't taste good. I always was of the mind that you should give the fish a chance of getting away which it will not do on 60lb line. You're argument would be that if there is a long fight it wouldn't matter whether I landed them or not because in both cases they would die.

When I go fishing I use one rod with 15lb line and a whip with 4lb line. The rod can sit there for 20 minutes or so between bait changes if nothing is taking and in the meantime I can get in some serious time whip fishing.

Yes I must admit its something new to me too, as I always felt that its sportier if the fish has a fighting chance of breaking your line, its only recently that I learned that fish can die if exhausted:

See http://www.acuteangling.com/Reference/C&RMortality.html which goes into a bit more detail

3. Degree of exhaustion of fish - Although studies show that all measurable physiological effects of sublethal stress as a result of being caught are fully reversed within approximately 24 hours (12), it is reasonable to infer that fish played to exhaustion may suffer more serious stress than fish that are relatively rapidly landed (9). Therefore, rapid landing is safer and less likely to result in complications affecting survival after release. Strong tackle and heavy lines allow fish to be landed rapidly, avoiding exhaustion and minimizing extreme exercise and the possibility of negative stress effects. It can, therefore, be inferred that the use of heavy tackle is desirable in lowering mortality. Conversely, extremely light tackle and lower strength lines may increase the risk of exhaustion, and should be avoided.

Its a good reference source and also discusses tackle optimisation to reduce stress to the fish in catch and release programs, eg why you should use circle hooks where possible.

I suppose you could also assume that releasing an exhausted fish would also be good news to predators!

Of course this doesn't matter as much when you are fishing for food. I also take most of my quarry from sea fishing home, but I do release all billfish. I also release freshwater fish in Thailand too, but purely because I dislike their muddy taste (Trout and Salmon would not be that lucky, but not that you can get them here :( )

Ian, yet another nice couple of pics from you, they must be quite a handful on fly gear, never tried it myself but it sure does look like fun!

Edited by quiksilva

from my experience you could catch the sawai on very small mono. The problem is the Thai fish have abrasive pads that will rub on the line and break it.

I wouldn't recommend below 25lb for sawai and below 40lb for pla buek.

The Pla Beuk are a different story. They are just massive and often at the bigger lakes can't be stopped. Luckily the pay ponds are largely snag free and the fish eventually tire out.

Rob you could try a small mono line but use a short rubbing leader of thicker line so it doesn't break from abrasion.

I'd recommend an enhanced albright knot or a bimini loop to loop connection. Maybe 5 to 10 feet long.

Don't forget after some knots your line might be down to 50% of it's rated breaking strain.

Enhanced and bimini knots claim to retain 100% but you can never be sure :rolleyes:

The reason you see a lot of Thai's with very thick mono is because to them it's often about catching fish to eat. Not for fun. Not at pay lakes obviously.

I have shown many people what I am talking about when it comes to the balance between rod, the line strength and the size of the fish. Huge fish have been landed on relatively light leaders.

Place a 4 pound (1.8 Kilo) lead weight on the ground and try lifting it with your favourite rod and whatever line strength you want. The 4 pound weight will appear much heavier than it actually is. The longer the rod the heavier the weight will appear. A short, sturdy rod will give you the most lifting power. But, the weight will STILL seem heavier than if you lifted the weight off the ground using just your hand and arm strength. It is the simple law of mechanical advantage. If you are careful, most 4 pound test mono will lift a 4 pound weight despite the knot weakening the line. But, if you jerk the line it will snap quickly.

As already mentioned by someone, the type of fish will determine the type of line to use and the line strength. Fish that jump and race around wildly will get tired quickly. Fish that just chug along in a sullen fashion take much longer to land. Fish with sharp teeth or abrasive parts on their bodies require steel leaders or shock tippets. Tarpon don't have teeth, but they have sharp gill plates and parts on their bodies. Snakeheads have strong jaws and sharp teeth and will cut light leaders. Barracuda are even worse. Most catfish don't have teeth and you can get away with a much lighter leader.