Help With Noise Problem

artspacecm

Is there an official way to make a complaint about noise in Chiang Mai? A neighbor moved in that is constantly cutting metal with a

circular saw at a "printing" shop. It doesn't seem like any end in sight for the awful noise it's causing in a residential neighborhood.

They are cutting on the "sidewalk" in front of their building. I heard that there is actually a law against this? Any ideas, or should

I just stock up on a bulk quantity of earplugs? Thanks.

Here in Phuket there is a local government department that deals with noise complaints, and it works. But obviously be cautious, these 'friendly gentle buddhist Thais' can get quite unfriendly if their 'freedoms' are interfered with, especially by a Farang.

If you are going to make an official complaint I would try to gather as many Thai locals as you can and not make it look like it is you leading the event. I believe the system allows limited noise for 'licenced' premises, bars, restaurants and industry, at set times.

good luck

• Like 1

Hi Newbie,

Reading of your predicament, it strikes me that your new neighbor is probably doing some construction on his new digs, getting the place ready to serve as a printing shop. Everything is cement here, and the rebars have to be cut using those circular saws. It's probably just temporary construction and there really is no way to cut those rebars quietly.

My Thai wife points out that noise associated with construction is considered unavoidable, and often 24/7 if the project is a big one. She says the only noise complaints that the police will care about are parties with boom boxes after midnight, or domestic violence.

It would be a shame to have the construction noise stop next week, but bad feelings with your neighbor remain because you called the cops on him. Being the new guy in the neighborhood, he's probably wondering what the neighbors are like, and, of course, first impressions often last.

Just my 2 cents, good luck!

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice. I moved in 3 years ago before they broke the ground on their building. I lived through the construction of their 3 story shop house which has 5 units - no problem (because I can totally respect construction noise - grin and bear it until it's over)..

This however, is very different...that's why I am asking for the advice. I am a renter and will probably consider moving sooner than later to a different location. It's unfortunate that there are no industrial zoning areas in Chiang Mai. It used to be that businesses like this were found off the super highway...now, they're found in the neighborhood of Nimmanhaemin, in what is/was seemingly an up and coming art community with more to offer than just your run of the mill bars. (music schools/art schools/galleries)... Kind of sad.

Thank you very much for you input. I agree totally about construction noise and being friendly with new neighbors. I don't agree with businesses expanding out of their front door into a neighborhood road, taking over parking of private homes with their staff motorbikes and cars... and making deafening sounds while creating metal signs for industrial companies.....I guess it's that "straw"...

Cheers!

Hi Newbie,

Reading of your predicament, it strikes me that your new neighbor is probably doing some construction on his new digs, getting the place ready to serve as a printing shop. Everything is cement here, and the rebars have to be cut using those circular saws. It's probably just temporary construction and there really is no way to cut those rebars quietly.

My Thai wife points out that noise associated with construction is considered unavoidable, and often 24/7 if the project is a big one. She says the only noise complaints that the police will care about are parties with boom boxes after midnight, or domestic violence.

It would be a shame to have the construction noise stop next week, but bad feelings with your neighbor remain because you called the cops on him. Being the new guy in the neighborhood, he's probably wondering what the neighbors are like, and, of course, first impressions often last.

• Like 2

That is certainly a different picture than I was imagining. It's a shame such industrial use is allowed by your residence. Creating metal signs for industrial companies on a daily basis? That would be tough to tolerate...there goes the neighborhood....and there you go too it sounds like

Well, at least you are renting.

take care

Thanks for the advice. I moved in 3 years ago before they broke the ground on their building. I lived through the construction of their 3 story shop house which has 5 units - no problem (because I can totally respect construction noise - grin and bear it until it's over)..

This however, is very different...that's why I am asking for the advice. I am a renter and will probably consider moving sooner than later to a different location. It's unfortunate that there are no industrial zoning areas in Chiang Mai. It used to be that businesses like this were found off the super highway...now, they're found in the neighborhood of Nimmanhaemin, in what is/was seemingly an up and coming art community with more to offer than just your run of the mill bars. (music schools/art schools/galleries)... Kind of sad.

Thank you very much for you input. I agree totally about construction noise and being friendly with new neighbors. I don't agree with businesses expanding out of their front door into a neighborhood road, taking over parking of private homes with their staff motorbikes and cars... and making deafening sounds while creating metal signs for industrial companies.....I guess it's that "straw"...

Cheers!

Hi Newbie,

1: Register your complain at the district (preferably with a few other people, in Thai)

2: Register your case with the Pollution Control Department here:

http://www.pcd.go.th/indexEng.cfm

There should be a department in the district, who is in charge of this.

Good idea to see them in person.

Preferably, you would have before:

- discussed with your other neighbor about the noise, and find a few who cannot accept the noise

- discussed with the neighbor causing the noise

At all time, you should be keeping a positive attitude, of course.

• Like 1

re ...... If you are renting why not simply tell your landlord your problem and let him deal with it if he wants to keep a good tenant?

sleepy john has the answer

ive been iving here for well over a year quite happily untill about three months ago when a young ferang teacher moved in five doors away from me

the second day the loud tv , music , phone calls that i could hear in my room with the door shut started so i and many other residents on three floors complained

the owner asked him to be quiet about five times but he didnt care or listen

so after two weeks of this i gave the owner a card of a place 500 yards away and told him i was leaving in two weeks because of the noise from the teacher

by the following evening the owner told me he had given him a week to leave and he did

he wasnt happy having to move coz he didnt see a problem in p#####g so many people off with his noise

im still here : ) ..... dave2

ps ... the other place i was supposed to be moving to ... i wouldnt put a dog in ... but i didnt tell my owner that : )

Thank you for this information - this is exactly the info I was looking for!

Cheers!

1: Register your complain at the district (preferably with a few other people, in Thai)

2: Register your case with the Pollution Control Department here:

http://www.pcd.go.th/indexEng.cfm

There should be a department in the district, who is in charge of this.

Good idea to see them in person.

Preferably, you would have before:

- discussed with your other neighbor about the noise, and find a few who cannot accept the noise

- discussed with the neighbor causing the noise

At all time, you should be keeping a positive attitude, of course.

If you are renting why not simply tell your landlord your problem and let him deal with it if he wants to keep a good tenant?

You're welcome :whistling:

Forget it, Thai rak Thai.

Of all the Thais I know there is only one, a long time friend and female landlord who lived several years in Europe, that made her change on a very funny way, she can get fuc%@#!*king angry at Thais if they act stupid, few times I 'used' her to deal with some idiot or crap company. And she won't take no for an answer and doesn't know 'mai pen rai kaa' :lol: I like her a lot.