Brand Names Used As Common Thai Words

Rikker

In American English we have many common words that are actually brand names, or were at some point. The list is almost endless: Kleenex, Band Aid, Jell-O, Popsicle, Aspirin, Velcro, Ziplock, Xerox, Chapstick, Q-Tip, Zipper, Post-It, Squeegee, etc. (Note: The same is true in other English-speaking countries, but the brands differ, and I don't happen to know those.)

Anyhow, inspired by this thread, I figured we should start a list for common Thai words that derive from brand names. The criterion is simple: Thais refer to the good or its associated action by the brand name, even when it is of a different brand. It doesn't have to be universal, but at least common.

I'll start us off:

แม็กซ์ = n. staple, v. to staple (from Max)

ซีรอกซ์ [ซีหร็อก] = v. to photocopy (from Xerox)

แพมเพอร์ส [แพ็มเพิด] = n. disposable baby diapers/nappies (from Pampers)

แฟ้บ = n. laundry detergent (from Fab)

ลิควิด = n. correction fluid (from Liquid Paper)

Some more (with help from people on Twitter):

มาม่า = n. ramen noodles (from Mama, but this one hardly requires explaining does it? :P)

คอฟฟี่เมต = n. non-dairy creamer (from Coffee Mate)

โกเต็ก = n. tampon (from Kotex)

สก็อทช์เทป = n. Scotch tape (we use the brand name in English too, a 3M trademark)

And a now-defunct one:

ซาวน์เบาท์ [ซาว-เบ๊า] = n. portable tape player (from Sony Soundabout, a name the Walkman was once marketed under)

This is only a maybe: จารบี was once explained to me as derived from a brand name. Anyone else heard the same? Don't mind being wrong, of course...

Interesting. I have no idea what brand name that would come from, though! :P

In American English "Clorox" but in Thai ไฮเตอร์

Good one. So far we have two laundry-related terms, แฟ้บ and ไฮเตอร์.

This is only a maybe: จารบี was once explained to me as derived from a brand name. Anyone else heard the same? Don't mind being wrong, of course...

Here's more information about the origin of this word.

http://guru.google.co.th/guru/thread?tid=6c3e76de4f10d16f

http://www.weekendhobby.com/offroad/newenergy/Question.asp?ID=1820

They say it comes from Hindi, which got it from Sanskrit. In Sanskrit is means cow fat.

Edited by kriswillems

Another possible one occurred to me. In some areas (of Bangkok, at least), this vehicle

8141-3.jpg

is referred to as ซูบารุ Subaru. It's a type of public taxi found in certain areas of the city. Also known as รถกระป๊อ or รถกระป๋อง. But I used to live in a soi universally but informally known in that area as ซอยซูบารุ because of the queue of these vehicles constantly lining the soi.

I'm assuming that not every one of these vehicles is actually made by Subaru.

Here's more information about the origin of this word.

http://guru.google.c...c3e76de4f10d16f

http://www.weekendho...ion.asp?ID=1820

They say it comes from Hindi, which got it from Sanskrit. In Sanskrit is means cow fat.

Thanks Kris, that helps clear up that one.

I'll add เซเวน to the list. I've found people use it to refer not just to 7-11 but to any similar store.

รถแมคโคร excavator

I've often wondered where this word originates from. A brand name perhaps?

From backhoe maybe?

แฟ็บ washing powder.

Is that the free bus that takes you from the city centre to the Makro on the outskirts? :rolleyes:

I'll add เซเวน to the list. I've found people use it to refer not just to 7-11 but to any similar store.

Yes. Round my way people use เซเวน to refer to any convenience store ( except Family Mart and Lotus Express) that is a cut above the local mom and pop places.

I get confused once when I offered a neighbour a lift into town and she said to drop her at the 7 when I knew full well there wasn't one at her destination. Turns out it was an aircon mini mart.

Edited by mca

ปากกา Parker (any sort of pen)

I never associated ปากกา with Parker; I always thought this word came from ปาก and กา (as in a teapot's spout). ปากกา can also be spelled ปากไก่ and a quill pen is called ปากกาขนนก. Maybe you are right, but I imagine that there were pens in Thailand hundreds of years before the Parker company was formed and that Thais had already a name for the device. If it was indeed a case of a brand name adopted, I guess they would call it ปาร์เกอร์ rather than ปากกา.

I know this doesn't quite qualify but today I was in a shopping center and, at a little coffee kiosk, ordered "กาแฟดำร้อนครับ"(kafee dam rohn khrap). When I got a quizzical look, I said "กาแฟไม่ใส่น้ำตาลไม่ใส่นมครับ". (kafee mai sai namtan mai sai nom khrap). Another quizzical look, followed by the dawn of understanding. อ๋อ แบลคคอฟฟี่ใช่ไหมคะ (Oh! Black Coffee, chai mai kha) My chin dropped to my chest, I sighed deeply, knowing that I had been defeated once again by "tapsap". ครับแบลคคอฟฟี่ครับผม (khrap black coffee khrap phom)

I never associated ปากกา with Parker; I always thought this word came from ปาก and กา (as in a teapot's spout). ปากกา can also be spelled ปากไก่ and a quill pen is called ปากกาขนนก. Maybe you are right, but I imagine that there were pens in Thailand hundreds of years before the Parker company was formed and that Thais had already a name for the device. If it was indeed a case of a brand name adopted, I guess they would call it ปาร์เกอร์ rather than ปากกา.

Indeed, that sounds most likely. I've always assumed it came from "Parker" but now my illusions have been shattered! Parker Pens started in 1888 so I shall still cling to the faint possibility that the brand name was picked up once Thais moved on from the quill pen to a more modern type.

In Cambodia, the brand-cum-generic term for pen is "Bic" (ប៊ិច)...but in the case of Thai (and Lao) ปากกา, I had always assumed it derived literally from "crow's beak"...?

ปากกา doesn't come from Parker. See the thread linked in my original post -- it was the Parker discussion that spawned this thread.

It's like you said, literally "crow's beak" from the shape of a pen nib. Formerly ปากไก่ was also used, and it wouldn't be hard to unequivocally prove both have been around longer than Parker has been in Thailand, but since there's no reason to believe the ปากกา-Parker story, I won't bother doing that. :P

Far be it from me to argue with my betters (pretty much no one still above ground is my elder anymorerolleyes.gif), and I stipulate that crow's beak is the correct origin of the word. BUT, while pen points might have been common for some time before the arrival of the Parker pen, refillable fountain pens almost certainly weren't. see, for example: http://inventorsdotaboutdotcom/library/weekly/aa100897dothtm ( note my attempt to get around TVdotcom's slaughter of url's). A practical refillable fountain pen wasn't patented until 1884 (by a Mr. Waterman). Parker pens arrived in Thailand, I think I read somewhere (not in the above url), in 1888. The derivation for fountain pens from Parker is therefore more or less plausible. But almost certainly wrong. Not unusual in trying to get the birth of new words in a language.

A brand name that's so popular it's often used as a word is:

คูโบ้ต้า

(correct word is รถไถ(นา))

Is there any other meaning to this brand name? The guys at the tea shop in my soi always call me something very close to this as a joke nickname but never give a decent explanation as to what it's about. Are they just calling me tractor boy? :lol:

Far be it from me to argue with my betters (pretty much no one still above ground is my elder anymorerolleyes.gif), and I stipulate that crow's beak is the correct origin of the word. BUT, while pen points might have been common for some time before the arrival of the Parker pen, refillable fountain pens almost certainly weren't. see, for example: http://inventorsdotaboutdotcom/library/weekly/aa100897dothtm ( note my attempt to get around TVdotcom's slaughter of url's). A practical refillable fountain pen wasn't patented until 1884 (by a Mr. Waterman). Parker pens arrived in Thailand, I think I read somewhere (not in the above url), in 1888. The derivation for fountain pens from Parker is therefore more or less plausible. But almost certainly wrong. Not unusual in trying to get the birth of new words in a language.

Thanks for the additional info. For it to be plausible the word ปากกา would have to mean fountain pen, as opposed to dip pens or, older still, quill pens. Nowadays quills are called ปากไก่. I don't have the evidence to settle the matter, but I wonder if originally ปากกา and ปากไก weren't just synonyms, both meaning quill pens, then later when dip pens and/or fountain pens came along, the two became distinguished, and as quill pens became a thing of the past ปากกา became the common term for pens of whatever type and the word ปากไก่ became the rarity it still is.