Making Security Bars Secure

We just had security bars fitted on a new house. The bars dont look very secure as they would be very easy to remove with just a screw driver. I am thinking about drilling out the screw heads to prevent this. Has anyone done this? Any other suggestions? Thanks

Edited by pj123

Drilling the heads out slightly sounds reasonable; or else you could fill the slots with epoxy resin. Better still would be a spot of weld between the screw head and the grill.

Epoxy resin is a good idea. Would be less messy than drilling.

epoxy resin will chip out if a screwdriver is hammered into the screws.... drill em out or get someone to zap em with some weld.

doesnt really matter though, if they are screws (not dynabolts) they will easily pry out of the brickwork with a small pinch bar.

Edited by Spoonman

epoxy resin will chip out if a screwdriver is hammered into the screws.... drill em out or get someone to zap em with some weld.

doesnt really matter though, if they are screws (not dynabolts) they will easily pry out of the brickwork with a small pinch bar.

The bars are screwed into the wooden window frame.

If the bars are fixed to a wood frame window then not much will help as the screw can be pried out of the wood frame very easy with a pry bar,,,,,,I have seen it done at a friend's house. If they are fixed to concrete/brickwork the plastic anchors they installed are not strong either. These bars are more a psychological security than a real physical one.

At the end of the day if the thieves come armed with tools (screwdrivers, hack saws etc..) there's no amount of modification to the bars that's going to keep them out.

The point is just to make sure that your house looks more secure that your neighbor's house.

Edited by dave111223

New house with timber frames for windows?

Ours is 3 years old and has timber frames.

I saw a report here in Pattaya about a guy who had 3 big locks on his front door. The robbers just busted the hinges out of the cinder block and got in!

New house with timber frames for windows?

I saw a report here in Pattaya about a guy who had 3 big locks on his front door. The robbers just busted the hinges out of the cinder block and got in!

This is why it is important to begin your security precautions at the outer perimeter of the property both with deterrents and barriers, rather than the house itself. This gives you notice that someone is coming and gives them the opportunity to change their minds before they even start breaking into the house. You should no more treat residential protection as a do-it-yourself project than you would removing a tumor from your head or representing yourself in a criminal court case.

If you have bars on the windows, be sure that one set in every room can be opened quickly in case of fire. Never let yourself fall into the trap of thinking "The front door is only a few feet away, I can just run there." That has been far too many people's last words.

Edited by MrE

My goal would be to make security bars 'obscure' along with 'secure'......never feel comfortable behind bars. Keeping me in or keeping them out??

As mentioned, they are only a slight deterent if that because any deternmined robber can get thru them and I've always been of the mind that they advertise that you have something you want to protect.

Depending on your house and location these bars are nothing more than for show.

In most cases the thieves are coming in through the roof, remove a few tiles to get into the attic and descend usually into the bathroom.

I also agree with MrE, my house has these bars fitted, and in every room one frame can be easily removed, just got to hope the thieves dont know which frame.

I've always been of the mind that they advertise that you have something you want to protect.

The first instance is the choice of neighborhood. If you are the richest guy in that locality, you become a prime target. Next, a sensing and alarm system with lights and cctv deters better than metal grilles. And finally, jewelry and cash should be kept in a bank, and not at home.

Some of us do have to teach our wives not to be walking Christmas trees.

Edited by trogers

The bars are screwed into the wooden window frame.

Why are they not screwed into the concrete wall using shield anchors?After that just round of the screw head with a metal cutter.

I've always been of the mind that they advertise that you have something you want to protect.

The first instance is the choice of neighborhood. If you are the richest guy in that locality, you become a prime target. Next, a sensing and alarm system with lights and cctv deters better than metal grilles. And finally, jewelry and cash should be kept in a bank, and not at home.

Some of us do have to teach our wives not to be walking Christmas trees.

I was at a friend's house yesterday. The topic of security came up. A few houses away is one that was stripped clean last week. It is up for sale and a large truck pulled up and cleaned everything out. The neighbors came over and asked what was going on, and they replied the house was sold and they were told to move everything out. Crazy. It's a very nice, 2 story house...

He also told me of his friend who lost 5MM Baht as it was in his very large safe and the crooks just walked away with the entire safe. I guess it was a little over a meter high. Big safe. Like mentioned here, never keep that much stuff in your safe. I've heard of this happening before...just ripped the safe out of the wall and off they went!