42, Married To A Thai, No Work

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get 12 month extensions if you have 400,000 Baht in a Thai Bank.

Thanks, so with 400k in a Thai bank I can stay in Thailand and just have to leave the country once a year?

With the yearly extension, you don't even need to leave the country.

No.

You apply for a 12 month extension at Immigration.

Next year you do the same.

Every year you do the same.

You never have to leave.

You need 400,000 Baht in the bank 2 months before you apply.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

No.

You apply for a 12 month extension at Immigration.

Next year you do the same.

Every year you do the same.

You never have to leave.

You need 400,000 Baht in the bank 2 months before you apply.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Generally, the info is correct.

But then be prepared for the Thailand style of doing biz too.

Immig laws can be updated, changed or amended, if and when some short-sighted officers deem Farangs are getting the better end of the deal. LOL

An acquaintance exchanged Euro worth 2mil supposedly so he could live peacefully with his Thai wife.

The Thai wife is perfect but her parents and relatives are not.

Just watch your finance and where and to whom your money flows to.

There are just too many supposedly falling in love and forgetting the reality of life and the rest of what is imperative.

Good Luck to you and yours.

Medical expense is not prohibitive here and the service and care are acceptable, if you choose wisely.

On the other hand, a close friend, spent eight days in Bangkok Hospital, the final settlement was over 1.2 mil TH baht. :violin:

Edited by vont
  • Like 1

I thought you had to be at least 53 years old before you could get a retirement visa?

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

People can go two routes, among others:

-- extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai citizen, with the income requirement as stated above.

or

--extension of stay based on retirement, minimum age 50, and the retirement income requirement as stated above.

Both can be done in country, neither require visa runs. Neither require leaving the country, as long as you continue to meet the requirements and can continue obtaining new extensions each year from your friendly local Immigration office.

Generally, the info is correct.

But then be prepared for the Thailand style of doing biz too.

Immig laws can be updated, changed or amended, if and when some short-sighted officers deem Farangs are getting the better end of the deal. LOL

An acquaintance exchanged Euro worth 2mil supposedly so he could live peacefully with his Thai wife.

The Thai wife is perfect but her parents and relatives are not.

Just watch your finance and where and to whom your money flows to.

There are just too many supposedly falling in love and forgetting the reality of life and the rest of what is imperative.

Good Luck to you and yours.

Medical expense is not prohibitive here and the service and care are acceptable, if you choose wisely.

On the other hand, a close friend, spent eight days in Bangkok Hospital, the final settlement was over 1.2 mil TH baht. :violin:

The OP asked the question

Can I make Thailand my home?

He didn't ask for the pitfalls of living in Thailand, something we have all heard a million times before ;)

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

I am over 50 and married to a Thai lady. I routinely keep more than 400,000 baht in the bank here and could keep 800,000 baht if there was any good reason to do so. I currently go back to West Yorkshire, UK at least every 2 months to take care of family business and this will continue for the forseeable future. I am currently on a non-immigrant O which costs me £110 plus petrol to Hull and back (say £30) pa*, which takes me three hours including the wait. Very easy and done for a year with no need to think about how much money I have in Thai banks.

Can anyone advise of any good reason to convert from non-immigrant O status to either a retirement or married status? i.e. would it be cheaper or any more convenient to me to do so? Any less tangible benefits of retirement/married status?

Factors are - what is the cost of the annual extension on a married or retirement basis. Would there be a cost or inconvenience in getting a re-entry permit every 6 times pa I leave the country (which I assume I need to keep an extension valid for a full year)?

Sounds like an exam question!!

* Actually I can stretch the £140 total cost over 14 months, rather than one year, since I can time my arrival to be close to the expiry date of the non-O visa

Edited by SantiSuk

Santi, you have the advantage of living somewhat near a Thai honorary consulate that is among the best in issuing Non-O visitor visas... Not everyone lives near such an option.

The advantage of extensions, vs. going outside Thailand to obtain a new visa every year, is saving on the travel and related costs of an annual trip back to one's home country...or elsewhere. With the multiple entry re-entry permit, a person on extension can come and go from Thailand as many times during the year as they like with no complication -- similar to a multi-entry visa.

For you in your situation, I don't see much advantage in changing, since you're already traveling back to the UK for other reasons anyway... So the trip to Hull is a relatively minor add-on about once a year -- as long as Hull can continue its current visa policies.

For others who don't have access to a consulate similar to Hull, the costs of an otherwise unnecessary international trip (airfare, hotel, travel, application costs) could substantially exceed the relatively minor costs of a yearly extension: 1900 baht application fee and 1000 for single entry or 3800 for multiple entry re-entry permit. Of course, the extensions do carry the income requirements with them, either the marriage or retirement variety...

Hull, I gather, does issue visitor visas to non-UK citizens. But others might not have as easy a time of going there as you do.

I am over 50 and married to a Thai lady. I routinely keep more than 400,000 baht in the bank here and could keep 800,000 baht if there was any good reason to do so. I currently go back to West Yorkshire, UK at least every 2 months to take care of family business and this will continue for the forseeable future. I am currently on a non-immigrant O which costs me £110 plus petrol to Hull and back (say £30) pa*, which takes me three hours including the wait. Very easy and done for a year with no need to think about how much money I have in Thai banks.

Can anyone advise of any good reason to convert from non-immigrant O status to either a retirement or married status? i.e. would it be cheaper or any more convenient to me to do so? Any less tangible benefits of retirement/married status?

Factors are - what is the cost of the annual extension on a married or retirement basis. Would there be a cost or inconvenience in getting a re-entry permit every 6 times pa I leave the country (which I assume I need to keep an extension valid for a full year)?

Sounds like an exam question!!

* Actually I can stretch the £140 total cost over 14 months, rather than one year, since I can time my arrival to be close to the expiry date of the non-O visa

He flies back to the UK from Thailand every two months...and you think the question to ask is if he can afford an annual 1900 baht fee, which roughly is $60 U.S.???

I think the more pertinent question is whether the op has the B 1900 annually to apply for either the marriage or retirement extensions.

convert from non-immigrant O status

This could be retirement or marriage. He seems to qualify for visiting wife which I am sure is what he obtains his one year visas.

There is no such thing as a marriage visa.

For marriage you obtain a non immigrant O visa.

For retirement you obtain a non immigrant O visa or a non immigrant O-A (O visa entry with pre (A)pproved one year extension of stay.

Care to elaborate on wise choses...

....and how your friend ended up with such a large bill

If you are married to a Thai. No problem you can stay in Thailand on a marriage visa. Just keep 400,000 baht in a bank account for 3 months. Make sure it does not go below 400,000 at any time in this 3 month period. The you go apply for a Non-O Visa. Tell them you have a Thai wife. After you have your Non-O Visa. You can apply for Marriage Visa. 1st time is the hardest, but after that each year. Just keep 400,000 in 1 account for for your marriage visa 3 months prior to renewal.

Edited by BuPattaya