What To Sell In My New Shop ?

bangkokcitylimits

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless I missed it, I would be interested in knowing the name of the town. Unless you want to keep it secret.

I think that would have quite a bit of bearing on who, what , when, where, and how often you may expect customers..... how far is it from a Lotus, Makro, Big C, etc .... would you be competing with your products with these types of hyper stores, who have had a big impact on the mom and pop type operation.

How close and what type of transport will your customers use, their own private or are tuk tuks and or other public transport available. Is it on a major bus route,... is it close in proximity to larger populated aresa......

I submit your question is too broad, with too little input given by your goodself.

Having said that , and accepting what you gave, I would suggest a shop that takes the ladies of all ages and gives them a make-up do-over, then puts them in some type of dress, fancy or sexy and either make them up as a queen or a sexy hooker to have a photo shoot to give to their special someone.....might be a lot of fun too....

You could probably get Ian Forbes to do the photo shoot.... at a really good price, I might suggest.

:jap:

g

The concept of having rented a shop and THEN asking strangers for advice about what to sell, without having named even the city not to mention the real location .... strikes me as either failure to do due diligence first ... or trolling.

• Like 1

Sawadee Khrup, Khun BangkokCityLimits,

We agree with the gist of several comments in the replies on this thread that: without more specific information it's hard, if not impossible, to give feedback. The numbers of farangs "passing by" or resident in the area seems to us an obvious thing for you to research in depth. If lots of farangs, possibly a second-hand book store: suggestion: name it "Ginko" :)

The size limit of the shop-house (eight customers) suggests you will not be able to have any successful service in the food arena, or coffee arena, where people will want to sit down, and linger, unless your menu is so up-scale that you'd make a pile off every customer.

And the location of your shop, its neighborhood, and availability of parking, may well define your ability to attract hi-so customers, assuming there are any, for any upscale items, or personal services, like painting nails.

You imply you've run other successful businesses here, but we don't know what they were: in any case it seems to us you would want to build on your already developed and field-tested competencies. balanced by a realistic view of what the Lady in this scenario is capable of (speaking English well, for example).

We once knew a farang who developed a very successful private school teaching English to children in Ayudhya, but his success was, we believe, in large part due to the fact that he spoke Thai very, very well, that he had an exceptionally friendly and gregarious manner, he had been an ordained Thai Monk in a Wat for over a year, and he loved, and was remarkably gifted in dealing with, children. He had developed some interesting techniques where he would show an excerpt from a movie, like Jurassic Park, on a big tv; then he would pause the movie, and point to a person in the scene, and ask the children what that character was feeling, what they were thinking. He had lots of ways of engaging the children's imagination and creating the kind of happy full-of-laughter-and-smiles milieu that Thais love. His classes were never more than twelve children at a time.

In any case, good luck, and we hope your creativity will find you a unique niche where you can be satisfyingly profitable.

best, ~o:37;

• Like 1

I forgot

Lava Lamps

exotic pets like Pythons and Ostrich birds

original Hawaii Five O TV series on DVD

Rubber vagina's

Cuban cigars

Actually, I kid you not, some of these have been done already. There is already an exotic pet shop in Meechok Plaza that also sells bait and offers day fishing trips. I saw Hawaii Five O TV series for sale on DVD at a shop on Thannon Wulai. :lol:

Nail paint art for girls??

Fashion accessories aside can also sell...handbags, shoes, jewelry ....ect...

Nail art, I was thinking of that yes. My gf might love to do such girlie job (and perhaps I can learn it too !)

Fray Bentos S&K tinned pies and Thornton chocolates all imported from the UK. Good market here in CNX. Good luck with your new business

• Like 1

Sawadee Khrup, Khun BangkokCityLimits,

We agree with the gist of several comments in the replies on this thread that: without more specific information it's hard, if not impossible, to give feedback. The numbers of farangs "passing by" or resident in the area seems to us an obvious thing for you to research in depth. If lots of farangs, possibly a second-hand book store: suggestion: name it "Ginko" :)

The size limit of the shop-house (eight customers) suggests you will not be able to have any successful service in the food arena, or coffee arena, where people will want to sit down, and linger, unless your menu is so up-scale that you'd make a pile off every customer.

And the location of your shop, its neighborhood, and availability of parking, may well define your ability to attract hi-so customers, assuming there are any, for any upscale items, or personal services, like painting nails.

You imply you've run other successful businesses here, but we don't know what they were: in any case it seems to us you would want to build on your already developed and field-tested competencies. balanced by a realistic view of what the Lady in this scenario is capable of (speaking English well, for example).

In any case, good luck, and we hope your creativity will find you a unique niche where you can be satisfyingly profitable.

best, ~o:37;

Hi, yes you are right, however I prefer to limit posting personal information on the internet, such as exact location etc. but I will pm you about this no problem, but plenty of parking space, enough foreigners passing by, living here or own businesses. The lady doesn't speak any English other then 'I love you' but she's charming, little education however.

The business before were a latin bar and 2 years later a latin cafe in CM, first years were really OK but as we all know CM business is dying, think it started with the taksinistic 11pm closing rule, later changed few times.

No I don't wanna do food, the town is full with food and not only Thai.

Gotta go out now, will send you a pm.

great day ;-)

Any of the cooking ideas are NOT a good suggestion. Too much initial outlay and not enough shop size. And, you WOULD need a competent, reliable cook. Not everyone is up to that task and working over a hot stove is not very pleasant.

As someone already said, you REALLY need to know who your customers are... Thais, local expats or foreign tourists. I also think it's hard to compete with all the nicknack junk you see for sale at the night markets.

What I DON'T see in Thailand is unique, artistic, but good quality jewelry and women's accessories. But, that would take some knowledge and searching for the right supplier.

The nail art is not a bad idea if it is combined with a few other unique items. Visual appeal makes a tiny shop more interesting but for that you need someone with a creative mind.

I'm not sure if they would sell in Thailand or not, but fancy hats might be a good idea. I took a Thai girl shopping for a specific hat I had in mind... one of the woven hats women wear when picking rice. Mint laughed and said the hat was for farmers, but was surprised when I turned down the brim and added a scarf. With a bit of work it could have looked like a hat that hi-society ladies wear to the races at Ascot.

Mint_3.sized.jpg

The same goes with the outfit I bought her to go with the hat...

Mint_4.jpg

She later "sexied up" the simple bouse by tying it up in the back.

Mint_Ian_Veu_1.sized.jpg

If you pick out specific items and take photographs of them being worn then it might help improve sales.

It's like looking at a whole table covered in pottery. You don't see any one item in its best display. But, if you pick out one item and put it in a proper display case it will look beautiful. It is the reason why an unframed picture doesn't look like much.

Nice looking girls but how many can you put in a small shop that seats 8

How about size Farang clothes.

That is actually a VERY good idea. I hear lots of Farangs complain of not finding anything in their size... as in OVER size in just about everything. Over size shoes are very difficult to find.

Good to see that some people are actually helping in constructive and positive ways... Thank you all positive thinkers and contributors even if I'm not the OP and have no business (or whatsoever) interests in the outcome of this new shop success.

Helping and sharing... Isn't what this forum is all about after all? Aren't we all more or less sailing on the same ship?

Rats, please feel free to leave even if the ship isn't taking any water...

Edited by Gigabyte

How about size Farang clothes.

That is actually a VERY good idea. I hear lots of Farangs complain of not finding anything in their size... as in OVER size in just about everything. Over size shoes are very difficult to find.

It's a nice idea, but you would need a massive stock of various styles albeit clothing or shoes.

Go look at the export shops, which carry large sizes in clothes, their stock and selection is extremely big.

Finding big shoes in a style that's suitable, is a nightmare in Chiang Mai.

Edited by uptheos

Make a card shop selling all different season farang cards, such as Christmas, Easter etc its always a task trying to find a decent card at the particular time of year, you could also mix in wrapping paper etc.......

For future ref, there's a card shop by the toys and stationary section (4th floor) in Central Kad Suan Kaew, as well as a similar entity towards the back of the B2S stationary/bookstore in Robsinsons, Airport Plaza (4th floor). Both have Westernised cards for all occasions: birthdays for all family members, weddings, anniversaries, congrats, get well soon etc.

Make a card shop selling all different season farang cards, such as Christmas, Easter etc its always a task trying to find a decent card at the particular time of year, you could also mix in wrapping paper etc.......

For future ref, there's a card shop by the toys and stationary section (4th floor) in Central Kad Suan Kaew, as well as a similar entity towards the back of the B2S stationary/bookstore in Robsinsons, Airport Plaza (4th floor). Both have Westernised cards for all occasions: birthdays for all family members, weddings, anniversaries, congrats, get well soon etc.

Cheers Jack thats the shop I use now actually but sometimes its pretty limited, theres also a shop on chan klan road near the 7-11 opposite the postoffice but again it can be pretty limited.

Cheers Jack thats the shop I use now actually but sometimes its pretty limited, theres also a shop on chan klan road near the 7-11 opposite the postoffice but again it can be pretty limited.

Travelled many countries, but never saw a country with such pathetic postcards as Thailand. :bah: Although this country is Hello Kitty and Doreimon infested, never even saw Hello Kitty postcards !! Would love to introduce the European style (luxury) art, birthday, photo cards (Art Unlimited) perhaps later, perhaps not. Don't know how about B.kok.

Hackintosh computers!!! There is no "official" Hackintosh stores in CM. Im occasionally doing those for myself, but would be willing to pay for running machine.

see more here: www.hackintosh.com or www.hackint0sh.org

I had one of these stolen before: http://www.cypher-sec.org/blog/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/7ffad_mini9_hackintosh_8.jpg

So once again Hackintosh: Netbooks, Desktop Computers, HackPads, Laptops...

Thanks to all of you folks for the suggestions. Think I'm gonna make some of you farang dudes smile, and your wife too. But not all, I'm not gonna sell no batteries (sorry for disappointing you), no Alaskan King crab (I'm so scared of crab), no left handed chopsticks (can't find them), no internet, coffee or decent bread (can get it all here in town), no sauces from Isan (too far, I've got only a bicyle), no pythons (are you serious or not?), no rubber vagina's (enough walking around freely), no gan cha, actually nothing for oral joy at all. Perhaps a fish spa with piranha's ? Need few weeks to start things up here and will let you all know.

ps, where to buy those queue number dispensers ?

Thanks to all of you folks for the suggestions. Think I'm gonna make some of you farang dudes smile, and your wife too. But not all, I'm not gonna sell no batteries (sorry for disappointing you), no Alaskan King crab (I'm so scared of crab), no left handed chopsticks (can't find them), no internet, coffee or decent bread (can get it all here in town), no sauces from Isan (too far, I've got only a bicyle), no pythons (are you serious or not?), no rubber vagina's (enough walking around freely), no gan cha, actually nothing for oral joy at all. Perhaps a fish spa with piranha's ? Need few weeks to start things up here and will let you all know.

ps, where to buy those queue number dispensers ?

I understand there is a 2nd hand one available from CM Immigration Office.... slightly used by a little old lady, .... in need of minor repair

:D