Land Measuring

I have heard before or seen before somewhere that when measuirng from the middle of a road to the edge of your land boundary is done from a certain distance something like 6-7-8-9 metres . Anyone know?

This is the point where I suppose in case of road widening later they allow a certain amount of land from the centre of the road to where your land boundary adjoining the road will start.?

Thanks in advance

You land is not defined by the center of a road nor power/utility poles. It is defined by the land makers shown on the Chanote. Many times these markers disappear and you have to have to have the land office come out and remark the land. Also as far as road widening. The land office will tell you if you have to provide a setback for some future road widening project.

It's a good idea, to have the land office come out and survey prior to doing any building. As mentioned before the markers disappear or get moved over time. Safe insurance.

• Like 2

Dont think it;s to do with the actual land boundary, more for building regulations.

Where I live it's 7 metres from the centre of the road ( it's a regular two lane road ) You cant or shouldn't build anything permanent close to the road as when it gets widened as happened here recently, the workers just dig up anything in their path. Such as driveways, walls etc.

Dont think it;s to do with the actual land boundary, more for building regulations.

Where I live it's 7 metres from the centre of the road ( it's a regular two lane road ) You cant or shouldn't build anything permanent close to the road as when it gets widened as happened here recently, the workers just dig up anything in their path. Such as driveways, walls etc.

If you have a chanote with all the boundary measurements and the land markers are in place on the property you will have as close to an air tight case in court, even in Thailand and if they try and take your property someone will be paying you. Now the 7 meters may be a local requirement but with a chanote as I stated you have the ball. The land office knows the regulations.

Just to confuse matters. Where we live one side of the road has the standard width footpath with houses/shops along it. The other side has a restriction that no building can be built within 12 metres of the footpath edge.I believe the restriction is to allow for future road expansion.

Edit to add. Land on the side with the 12 metre building restriction is listed on the chanote as starting at the edge of the footpath. The owners can't build on those first 12 metres even though they own the land.

Edited by Farma

This is pure bunk. The chanote and/or the land office will tell you what offsets are required (if any) for any future road expansion. It's from the edge or your land, not the center of the road. A future road development that is not already on your chanote, they have to acquire the land from you. Many road development projects are delayed because of land acquisition.

There are building regulations as to what the offset from the edge of the property for buildings for fire prevention. There are building regulations limiting the height of buildings. The land office or the planning department can tell you what they are. Many times exceptions can be made with the planning department.

This is pure bunk. The chanote and/or the land office will tell you what offsets are required (if any) for any future road expansion. It's from the edge or your land, not the center of the road. A future road development that is not already on your chanote, they have to acquire the land from you. Many road development projects are delayed because of land acquisition.

There are building regulations as to what the offset from the edge of the property for buildings for fire prevention. There are building regulations limiting the height of buildings. The land office or the planning department can tell you what they are. Many times exceptions can be made with the planning department.

The Land Office usually do not get too excited about any future road requirements, bad for business!!, this is usually handled on a local basis by the local Tessabaan, and more so in rural areas by the relative local Pu Yai.

The Chanote markers and plans are the definitive boundarys if it ever came to court, yes the local government can ask you to keep your land back from the road for future development, but it is by no means a legal requirement - more of an "understanding" ie: if you do not keep your wall back from the road we might not allow you permission to build???? :whistling:

As the OP didn't mention Chanote land neither did I. Just relating what has happened here - 99% sure none of the land involved in the current road widening has Chanote or even has title deeds issued by the Land Office as it's on the inland side of the road.

But on the opposite side of the road where it has been widened three years ago a 7 or 8km long, 1.5 metre wide strip of Chanote titled land has been covered in concrete. Whether this was done with the numerous landowners permission in return for compensation - I have no idea. But there was no fuss about it being done at the time.