50,000Baht Fine For No Drivers License

fm2002

I just got a call from a friend here in Pattaya who was pulled over last night and was asked to produce his motorbike driver license. He did not have one. He had to go directly to the police station and was told he had to pay 50,000 baht. Yes 50,000baht. He negotiated it down to 40,000. He went on to tell me this also happened to a mutual friend and another guy. They both had to pay 50,000baht. According to the second guy his gf had seen a report on Thai news that they were going to start enforcing this starting this week. My friend was not sure what they are charging Thais.

FYI - 2 of my friends who were caught have lived here for a long time and both are business owners and know the ins and outs of the boyz in brown and how to deal with them.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know what the maximum fines are for traffic offences, according to law? Or is it a matter at the discretion of the police?

I want to know so that when I am threatened with a 50,000baht fine, I can call their "bluff" and let them write the fine. My gut feel has always been to just wear the thb200 "fine" and tolerate the corruption because it's not worth challenging. But at thb50,000, the risk assessment (or cost-benefit amalysis) changes considerably...if I should be so unlucky to be extorted for 50,000baht, I may decide to challenge the matter.

Yes 50,000baht. He negotiated it down to 40,000.
have lived here for a long time and know the ins and outs of the boyz in brown and how to deal with them.

:cheesy:

Sure they do.

They probably pay 250b for their 25b noodles too as they know the ins and out of farang pricing system.

Edited by thomo
  • Like 1

have lived here for a long time and know the ins and outs of the boyz in brown and how to deal with them.

Sure they do.

They probably pay 250b for their 25b noodles too as they know the ins and out of farang pricing system.

Laugh at my post as you like, but this is not propaganda ! This actually happen to 3 people in the last 2 days. My friend, who called me family friend and his business partner is a Police Colnel from BKK and the other guy owns one of the popular go go bars. Two guys who don't back down to idle extortions.

Sure they do.

Laugh at my post as you like, but this is not propaganda ! This actually happen to 3 people in the last 2 days. My friend, who called me family friend and his business partner is a Police Colnel from BKK and the other guy owns one of the popular go go bars. Two guys who don't back down to idle extortions.

go-go bar owners are always reliable when it comes to information. i remember a few years ago, when it was new years eve. i was told by one that a bomb had gone off in north pattaya, with hundreds killed.

Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear

by the far the worst fishing trip on TV this year!

what utter nonsense biggrin.gif

I don't know, I remember that one where some Asian friend was routinely stopped by the police on the way to the 7-11 and imprisoned for not having his passport with him.

by the far the worst fishing trip on TV this year!

what utter nonsense biggrin.gif

I don't know, I remember that one where some Asian friend was routinely stopped by the police on the way to the 7-11 and imprisoned for not having his passport with him.

Was he a masochist? or does he have a thing for guys in tight brown uniforms.

Pointless link gotlost, it doesnt explain the fines or penalties for Unlicenced Drivers, the person thats translated that act has left those sections out. I am guessing it would be listed in Section 85-92 OR Sections 147-160, which are missing.

I can't find my thai copy to try and establish the maximum fine for that offence.

Most the fines that are listed in that act are between 200 baht and 2000 baht but I did notice that Section 43-2 carries a penalty of up to 120,000 baht and 6 years in the monkey house.

Guys I'm not bullshitting here. Actually because I'm getting ripped here and take my creditability seriously I have made some calls to try and get a second source. My gf called 1137 and they never heard of this. We tried to get through to soi 9, but no one ever answers. I told my friend this and he is making some calls to BKK and seeing what's going on. Will report back.

If it was 1 isolated event ok, but 3 guys in 2 days and 1 of them with a receipt.

Not sure what "fishing" or "trolling" is, but read my posts before you attack me. I can't see the motivation from 2 of my friends trying to call and warn me with a story based on a lie.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it.

When busted by the police for something you've done - or more likely haven't done, just refuse to pay. State you have no money and INSIST on the matter being taken to court. Most times the police cannot be bothered to fill in all the paperwork, and lose all the backhanders they would otherwise be collecting.

Guys I'm not bullshitting here. Actually because I'm getting ripped here and take my creditability seriously I have made some calls to try and get a second source. My gf called 1137 and they never heard of this. We tried to get through to soi 9, but no one ever answers. I told my friend this and he is making some calls to BKK and seeing what's going on. Will report back.

If it was 1 isolated event ok, but 3 guys in 2 days and 1 of them with a receipt.

Not sure what "fishing" or "trolling" is, but read my posts before you attack me. I can't see the motivation from 2 of my friends trying to call and warn me with a story based on a lie.

Scan the ticket then ( you have access to 3 of them) on post it up, even the receipt will do as this should outline the offence.

Yes the attachment on the Traffic laws and fines made fascinating reading, (e.g. I have always wondered whether it was enshrined in Thai Law that slower traffic should keep in the left hand lanes, as that is one of the most flagrant law breaches that you come across on any 2 or 3 lane highway - and sure enough it is), but as another poster has observed, the penalty for driving without a valid licence is not included.

However, as the maximum fine in the list for certain traffic offences is 1,000 Baht, it is a sure fired bet that 50,000 Baht allegedly demanded by Pattaya police could well be in the region of 50,000 times more than the legislated penalty.

It seems very strange that two, so-called Pattaya 'streetwise' punters would pay over the requested amount rather than demand to see a higher authority or take some other action to face the police down. Surely they could have called a Thai lawyer or some respected Thai person to help them out? It just doesn't ring true to me.

If they did pay such a sum over, I can only conclude that they are either just plain stupid, or there is more to this than meets the eye. Maybe some other crime had been committed or maybe the police were making other threats unconnected with the lack of a valid driving licence.

• Like 1

Yes the attachment on the Traffic laws and fines made fascinating reading, (e.g. I have always wondered whether it was enshrined in Thai Law that slower traffic should keep in the left hand lanes, as that is one of the most flagrant law breaches that you come across on any 2 or 3 lane highway - and sure enough it is), ...

How about the law stating that it is illegal to cross the center of a two-way road to pass?

How about the one that states that it is illegal to pass on the left?

Those two, IMO, are the two most frequently violated here; and, of course, almost entirely by MOTORBIKES! If one didn't know better, one would think that the TWO yellow lines in the middle of major streets demark a MOTORBIKE LANE!

Well it looks like I was gullible. We got a hold of a Supreme court judge and was told the biggest fine that can be handed out by anyone other than a judge is 10,000baht. This fine would be for vehicular homicide without a license. Not saying 100% my friend is wrong, but it's looking unlikely.

If a moderator wants to pull this thread please do so.

Sorry everybody ! All the ripping I got was well deserved.

Yes the attachment on the Traffic laws and fines made fascinating reading, (e.g. I have always wondered whether it was enshrined in Thai Law that slower traffic should keep in the left hand lanes, as that is one of the most flagrant law breaches that you come across on any 2 or 3 lane highway - and sure enough it is), ...

How about the law stating that it is illegal to cross the center of a two-way road to pass?

How about the one that states that it is illegal to pass on the left?

Those two, IMO, are the two most frequently violated here; and, of course, almost entirely by MOTORBIKES! If one didn't know better, one would think that the TWO yellow lines in the middle of major streets demark a MOTORBIKE LANE!

It's all there - read it. Actually it's not illegal to pass on the left if the road has "2 or more lanes going in the same direction", but the rest of your stuff is illegal.

Well it looks like I was gullible. We got a hold of a Supreme court judge and was told the biggest fine that can be handed out by anyone other than a judge is 10,000baht. This fine would be for vehicular homicide without a license. Not saying 100% my friend is wrong, but it's looking unlikely.

A supreme court judge on a sunday you got hold off, indeed you have friends in high places, one must wnder how they get 50k fines for no licence.

If a moderator wants to pull this thread please do so.

To save your self further embarrassment I think thats a wise idea.