Bangkok Taxi Driver Returns US$6,500 To Passenger

webfact

Duan said although he had to work hard to pay school fees for his nine-year-old son, he would not have felt right if he had kept the cash forgotten by the customer. He wanted to use the money he earned and be a good example to his son.

Wish there were more people like this, good for him hope he gets a nice reward.

:)

Every so often Radio JS100 reports honest taxi drivers doing the right thing.

I don't like taking cabs, though I've only come across a few drivers that I've taken objection to. Unfortunately they prejudice me against the good guys.

Perhaps if the cab industry were better regulated and drivers had to have police checks and pass a test of competency before being licensed, then passengers would have more confidence in them and they would be more respected. (A bit idealistic, I suppose.)

I have a similar story. Not long ago, I left Bumrungrad Hospital with a stock of quite expensive medication which had been given to me in one of those little brown bags with rope handles. Returning home, I took my shopping with me but completely forgot about the medicines. It was only as I opened my apartment door that I realised my stupidity. By the time I got to the street, the taxi had disappeared. If I had left a bag with money, I would not have expected to get it back. With medicines, I was 100% certain It would not be returned. Yet, ten minutes later the taxi came back. I tipped him generously.

I think there are at large more good taxi drivers at heart, than bad. I often only take new taxis but every now and then I get the old ones. It never ceases to amaze me the old ones often have every accessory a Buddhist man would accumulate as well as their past history, old bank notes from around the world and despite the age of the cab, the age of the driver, these guys have heart and pride, albeit as humble as they are, happy in their existence. I always drop these guys an extra 20-50 Baht as these are real Thai's. In this instance we have an amputee driving a taxi - not so difficult - but an honest guy. I agree with the sentiments of showcasing him asking if others are the same? I also agree with a paypal or site account to assist him financially and as I have contributed before to other causes via Thai Visa, would contribute to this man. Please post if it gets set up.

If George or another HIGH LEVEL administrator can get in contact with this man. I wil pay his son's school and uniform fee's for next term. George please IM me.

Hope you're tongue isn't cleeved......

Absolutely not. I doubt his son goes to an International School. Probably just the standard Thai government school in Bangkok. About 10,000 -20,000 per a term and another 1,500 for books another 1,000 for uniforms. at the max 22,000 baht. I kind of think someone that shows this kind of integrity deserves to be recognize. Who knows maybe next time it could be my money that I forget in his cab. But anyway, thanks for your positive input. I'm sure you have many friends.

Nice one, shame such a generous offer has to be met with cynicism.

Clearly a good man, but how does he drive with one hand?

I hope he was rewarded handsomely for his honesty.

I'll take a one handed honest taxi driver over a two handed dishonest one any day of the week.

Amazing Thailand indeed. Just when you have given up all hope of coming across truly honest people, in walks a man like this.

• Like 1

I guess it is possible to find out the phone number to the taxi company he is working for. Then for sure I will book him next time I need a taxi AND make sure he get a good tip!! Can Thai Visa help out and find the phone number? Or someone else may know?

Apart from that, we could all donate, let's say 500 Baht each. That will add up to a good sum!! Anyone know how to do? Again, maybe Thai Visa can help out since TV has quite a few local thais working for them and can more easily get this done.....

Such big amount of money... belonging to a burmese man..

There is good chance that this man will be a junta man with such a huge amount of money...

That's not necessarily true.

Business is alive and well in Burma and there are plenty of successful honest non-military people.

Still honest taxi drivers around,hope i can hire him when i go to Thailand.Maybe in one in 200 is honest these days....

I've come across a few, who will go the extra mile to help you out. Mostly it's the older drivers who've down this all their life or some who lived abroad.

Those are the ones that get the tip.

Have forgotten wallets in Taxi's twice. Both returned. One was returned in a wrapped plastic bag thrown over the gate of the house. The other was brought back to my office.

Lucky as all money/ cards were untouched. I do however always tip taxis and speak polite to them making conversations and laughs. Some of them are real rough guys and you cant always strike lucky.

If George or another HIGH LEVEL administrator can get in contact with this man. I wil pay his son's school and uniform fee's for next term. George please IM me.

excellent offer. hope you find him and follow through. truly admirable. far and few between are thai like this (the cabbie). or any person for that matter.