Pairng

loong

Sometimes I find it amusing and sometimes a little annoying.

Everytime I buy something new, the locals always ask how much I paid. I answer and the respose is almost invariably = "Pairng" (expensive)

I bought a nice little teak stool (well made) for 80 Baht so I didn't have to squat in discomfort when in the garden. "Ooh, Pairng!"

I explained that I had bought the plastic stools for 19 Baht, but they always broke within a week or 2, whereas this teak one will last forever.......Still...."pairng"

I bought 4 metre sliding wrought iron gates, 9000 Baht including fitting and the concrete posts. I had to buy cement ,sand, stone and metal reinforcement (just under 1000 Baht) on top of this............."Pairng" I hate to think what they would have said if I had accepted the 1st price of 21,500 Baht for the same job!

It's the same with just about everything - large garden pots for 50 Baht , small pots for 5 Baht...."Pairng"

Waterfall feature, pots and pans, furniture................."Pairng"

Is this an automatic response from the Thai people, or do I actually pay too much for everything? :o:D

Is this an automatic response from the Thai people, or do I actually pay too much for everything?  

You maybe are paying too much, but I think it's an automatic response. Even if I get the normal Thai price, they usually say "paeng"(there ain't no "r" in it)

Remember it is there home and they wouldn't like to think that a "visitor" and worse a "farang" knows how to get something cheaper than them. They are kind of showing off to each other.

If I buy something that is way over the normal price, they usually stay quiet.

Edited by Neeranam

Is this an automatic response from the Thai people, or do I actually pay too much for everything?  

You maybe are paying too much, but I think it's an automatic response. Even if I get the normal Thai price, they usually say "paeng"(there ain't no "r" in it)

Remember it is there home and they wouldn't like to think that a "visitor" and worse a "farang" knows how to get something cheaper than them. They are kind of showing off to each other.

If I buy something that is way over the normal price, they usually stay quiet.

Sorry about the way I write Sera 'air' is just the way I write phonetics for myself. I just think that "air" is closer than "ae". I do know the official adopted phonetic is 'ae'

I live in Jungwut Phrae, but many people seeing it written for the first time would maybe pronounce it "Pray"

Mae Sai in the north is mispronounced "May Sai" by most farang that I know

because of the way it is written

But maybe this is one for the language forum

Loong,

I would have to agree that it seems to be a bit of an automatic response. I often wonder why the cost of something is so important all the time myself. I also have tried explaining the fact that if you pay a little more for something up front but the object is of good quality then it's actually cheaper than bying something that is a bit cheaper up front but is of crappy quality.

I have had no success in getting this message beyond the "it's paeng" section either so you're not alone mate. :o

Everything I buy my wife says is pairng( my dictionary spells it like this so I'm not to blame :D ) Everything she buys is mai pairng. Yesterday my cider and beef dinner 800 baht--pairng. Her hair coloring 1200 baht---mai pairng :D

Oh

Soooooo true :o

Amazing how that works isn't it? Everything she wants "mai paeng" everything I buy for myself "paeng"

I have occasionally gotten the "tahm mai took?" So it appears sometimes I do get a bargain :D