Bangkok’s CentralWorld Reopens Today

webfact

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither is making an inane comparative statement such as re-built in record time when there is nothing to compare it with.

Has it even been re-built? By all reports, only a portion of it that was the least damaged was repaired and re-opened.

Sorry if all that dampens yet another conspiracy theory of yours.

Edited by Buchholz

Is it possible to bring the discussion of the OP back to basics ?

Many posters disagree with each other, but that's still no reason to suggest a different level of evolution / education / knowledge / intelligence. Personally I would just say 'you must be daft' :)

Perhaps if Deeral could just spell it out whatever on Earth point he is weakly attempting to communicate with by his obtuse and cryptic:

the point being a major supporter of the government has had his shop re-built in record time?

Then perhaps, the inane statement wouldn't have gotten dissected and dismissed so easily. As it is, he seems surprised that a rich person can get things done relatively quickly. Is that supposed to be profound or noteworthy? Is there some place where that doesn't happen? Our local shopping center was also refurbished recently. Done in about 2 months. What should one make of that?

Edited by Buchholz

"a certain class"????????????? Overtly insulting maybe not - but racist in the sense that it invokes the concept of "other" (not US) based purely on a view of humanity based on the false concept of racial stereotyping. I can't see that as anything but negative.

As I said, you are bent on reacting with apparent over-sensitivity to each and every nuance in language just to assert your point of racism. To identify a foreigner as "not us" is fairly basic and common all over the world. But your reaction is a lot worse than how many non-whites react to the slightest imagined slur they face in the west.

as for the rest, well a few months back I'd have gone into every point, but this is a forum with not much going for it and I haven't the time. perhaps though you might get a reality check on Thailand's place and image with the rest of the world.

More insults here, this time for this forum itself ! "Not much going for it and I haven't the time " you say and yet you find so much time to make so many many posts here. I am really sad to see you crying off this one.

Edited by HereIAm

.. begin removed ..

I can't see that as anything but negative. as for the rest, well a few months back I'd have gone into every point, but this is a forum with not much going for it and I haven't the time. perhaps though you might get a reality check on Thailand's place and image with the rest of the world.

You say you haven't got the time and you see this forum as 'not much going for it'

May I ask why you even bother to post here where obviously your wisdom is neither understood nor appreciated :huh:

Seems someone likes blowing smoke up his own ass,

and resents those others not joining him in the

personal aggrandizement of his online alter ego.

Don't feed the troll

never has better advice been given.

Oh my gosh,

I might go down 2 green points for saying this.

.. like it actually matters.

Edited by animatic

While living in Bangkok I used to go to the cinema up on the 7th floor about once a month. After what happened, I'd have a difficult time getting it out of my mind that I'm sitting in a dark theater on the 7th floor of a place that could be tough to get out of in case of a fire. AND, the same grudges against Central World owners still exists today with the same Red Shirts.

I took a tour thru CentralWorld today with a particular eye toward its restaurant offerings, and what's new, what's gone, and what may return... A lot of places have reopened among the eateries, but there's still a lot that remains closed...

One important thing to know... the BTS Skywalk entrance into CentralWorld that is closest to Chidlom BTS remains totally closed off. However, the other Skywalk entrance at the far end closer to Siam Paragon is open as usual, taking you inside on the third floor.

From a restaurants perspective, the biggest disappointment was to find that the entire so-called Atrium area that ran between the gutted Zen department store and the center/middle of the mall remains closed. So on the 7th floor, for example, that entire row/section had been lined on both sides entirely with restaurants, and all of that section remained walled off.

Likewise, the row of restaurants that you passed after entering from the Chidlom side Skywalk also is among the still closed areas. That area included a big Starbucks, though there still is another large Starbucks now elsewhere in the mall, not sure if it's current location is new or it was already there previously. That closed section included outlets for MOS Burgers, a Chinese place, a Thai seafood place and several others.

Elsewhere on the 7th floor, the places that remain closed at least for now, but show some window sign evidence of eventually reopening, include Manhattan Fish Market and Fuji, while on the 6th floor the coming soon but not yet open places include Shabushi, Kobune and Burger King.

The places in the Atrium area that remain closed, and no clue on whether they will return, include the After You and Cookies and Crust desert places, the Japanese Mo-Mo Paradise, Keiroku Sushi, Something Sweet, Yura An, the Gustoso buffet, Olivie, Xiao Long, Shin Emon Japanese curry, the Spicy Maharaja Indian shop and others, too many for me to keep track of... I'm not saying they won't come back, but there's no clear sign that they will, either.

CW seems to be advertising a variety of new food places, but the new places that struck me as being most notable are the arrival on the 7th floor near the grocery store of a small Sunrise Tacos counter area, and an outlet on the 6th floor of Coldstone Creamery, an ice cream and toppings place from the States that seemed to be attracting a fair amount of interest. And also a new counter branch of Crepes and Co. on the 7th floor.

The nice Haagen Daz shop that used to be there was in a closed-off area, and I didn't see any replacement for it in the open areas I toured today. For coffee buffs, the Segafredo shop on the 7th floor near the grocery market remains open and intact, as does the nearby Pizza Pizza by Yanee. Down on the 3rd level near the Skywalk entrance, fortunately, the Coffee Beans by Dao restaurant seems to have survived intact.

Unfortunately, the Garage Burger and Grill place that used to be near Segafredo on the 7th floor seems to have been replaced by new outlets, and no sign it will resurface elsewhere.

The 6th floor eateries that were open as of today included:

Sukishi, Swenson, Pizza Co., Sizzler, Ootoya, Zen, Seefah, 4 or 5 Japanese places outside Isetan, Hachiban Ramen 8, Yum Saap, Coca, and Dunkin Donuts.

The 7th floor eateries that were open as of today included:

Pizza Pizza by Yanee, Segafedo Coffee, Bake a Wish Japanese cakes, Melt Me Japanese chocolate and gelato, Hainan Cuisine, Fries Me to the Moon (a new shop with different kinds of french fries topped with various sauces, not including chili... :angry:), Sunrise Tacos, Red Basket French-Vietnamese, Ootoya Kitchen, Crepes and Co., Nobu Shabu, AKA Japanese, Yayoi, MK (of course), Chester's Grill, Coco Ichibanya and Wrap-It wraps...

Apart from food, the Power Buy electronics store looked to be fully open and functioning, as were the nearby mobiles shops such as AIS, I-Mobile, True and Nokia, among others...

The SFV Cinema, meanwhile, was still advertising its special Wednesday tickets of 80 or 100 baht for regular screenings (higher prices for digital and 3D movies).

Here's what the entrance to the closed off Atrium eateries area looks like on the 7th floor:

post-53787-098863300 1286032210_thumb.jp

I asked the CW staff if they had an updated roster of the stores and restaurants that were actually open, and of course, they said they didn't... in part, I suspect, because it likely will be changing week to week as many of the still closed shops in fully open sections of the mall come back to life.

I'd personally go for the larb-topped french fries at Fries Me to the Moon (who thinks up the names for these kinds of places???), and then wash those down with a Melt Me Japanese chocolate treat.... :D

Or instead, just walk down the road to Paragon and pick up a half dozen of the new Krispy Kreme dognuts... courtesy of Khun Thaksin and friends....

I'd personally go for the larb-topped french fries at Fries Me to the Moon (who thinks up the names for these kinds of places???), and then wash those down with a Melt Me Japanese chocolate treat.... :D

Or instead, just walk down the road to Paragon and pick up a half dozen of the new Krispy Kreme dognuts... courtesy of Khun Thaksin and friends....

Assuming you can fit through the door by then!

You don't call anything the restaurants at CentralWorld serve as food???

And really, just because I write about restaurants, you shouldn't make too many presumptions about what or how I actually eat... since you don't really know...

And really, just because I write about restaurants, you shouldn't make too many presumptions about what or how I actually eat... since you don't really know...

You are of course completely correct, but I am getting the feeling you are a bit of a burke!

Glad to make your day... Have a croissant on me... :ph34r:

You are of course completely correct, but I am getting the feeling you are a bit of a burke!

Does anyone know if TK Park (Thailand Knowledge Park) is also open.

The library in the 8/F of Central World.

Thanks.

I visited Central World yesterday.. and TK Park is NOT Open. And the shutter was closed.

And, I peeked inside.. there were lots of boxes and it was empty and not in good shape.

I don't think the library will be open for at least 1-2 months. If anyone has any update of when it is going to open, please post here.

And about 80% of Central World is open is certainly NOT True.... when i went there... it was more like around 40-50% open.

mc donald's area.. the whole area is closed off. toys r us is not open.. and many other shops

open: kfc, powerbuy, dunkin donuts, cinema, gourmet, etc.

Hyper, thanks very much... It was the kind of things I wanted to know, so I figured others would also...

Re specials, I didn't notice too many actually... I did notice the Japanese restaurants near Isetan seemed to be having some kind of 10% off promotion for those with Isetan store cards, but I don't have one, so it didn't matter. Other than that, I noticed that the newly relocated Zen restaurant was promoing a 339 baht buffet...and had a poster stand outside with the details...

jfchandler, thank you for an excellent detailed summary.

How are the prices? Are there many good re-opening special deals that you noticed at the restaurants you looked at?

Other than that, I noticed that the newly relocated Zen restaurant was promoing a 339 baht buffet...and had a poster stand outside with the details...

Thank you jfchandler. All-you-can eat buffets are actually my most favorite style of eating and I'm always seeking out new places for it.

300 to 400 THB is a good price range for a buffet, especially at Zen Restaurant as their menu items are usually quite pricey, so I think I will actually give it a try. Thanks again.

Same for me... I haven't tried it yet, as CW just opened and the Zen, I believe, is in a new location from its former one, which is in the still closed off section, and as you mentioned, was pretty pricey to boot, especially compared to Fuji... . The Zen buffet menu looked to be pretty broad, but as I said, I didn't stop to look in detail... Too many other things to scope out...

A lot of the former buffet places around CW either have not re-opened yet or may not.. no way to know... They were located in the sections that remain closed off... The Spicy Maharaja had an Indian lunch buffet. Mo-Mo Paradise was a shabu/suki buffet. Gustoso was an international buffet. The Mediterranean place (can't recall the name) had a lunch buffet, and probably some others too... Even the Amaltery alcohol-infused ice cream shop had some ice cream and drink buffets, but it closed some time before the fire... Unfortunately, none of those have re-opened as of yet and all of them were located in the sections that remain closed off.

Other than that, I noticed that the newly relocated Zen restaurant was promoing a 339 baht buffet...and had a poster stand outside with the details...

Thank you jfchandler. All-you-can eat buffets are actually my most favorite style of eating and I'm always seeking out new places for it.

300 to 400 THB is a good price range for a buffet, especially at Zen Restaurant as their menu items are usually quite pricey, so I think I will actually give it a try. Thanks again.

Zen never used to do this at the branch in Centralworld, only at the branch at viphawadee, but they decided to try it at the other stores and it is a great deal, on a side note Zen have the same owners as AKA and Zen Cucina.