Aussie Tourist Visa

Hello.

First, thanks to all the people who post to share their experiences. There are lots of us reading and taking notes.

My partner will be applying for a tourist visa next month, for a four month trip, and we're wondering what would be considered 'sufficient funds'. Anyone have any ideas?

His budget is getting smaller and smaller as he's been helping his sister during her husband's illness and, I'm sorry to say, death yesterday and funeral this week.

We'd prefer to apply later and save a little more, rather than be turned down. Otherwise, until recently, we've been confident that his application would be successful.

Any (genuine) input would be appreciated.

Ta.

Oh, look what I found.

Thanks!

QUOTE (DeDanan @ Wed 2004-06-16, 06:41:58)

Have you got any ideas or guidelines on how much money is required in girlfriends bank account when applying for a visa?

An immigration officer told me over the phone as a rule $1,000 per month in OZ, 3 months = $3,000

Ok, here are some facts.

1. The Australain embassy in Bangkok will almost never give a tourist visa for more than 3 months, so the idea of 4 months will be a dream, I suggest you change the itinerary.

2. The Australian Embassy in Bangkok seem to take every joy in using and abusing their "discretionary" powers. So expect alot of frustration.

3. You will need to produce documentation that you believe is pointless and really there is no need for.

Also expect them to acuse your partner / friend of having an "Immoral Occupation", or to use their words to my wife "We think you are a prostitute". Of course in Australia to say that to someone would get you into trouble, unless you work for the Australian Embassy in Bangkok.

My advice, change her travel plans to a country that welcome Thai Citizens. When was the last time you saw "Tourism Australia" advertise in Thailand ?

My next holiday, that I expect to spend alot of money will not be to Australia.

Consider this:

She can get plenty of Australian culture from:

1. Watching Crocodile Dundee movies.

2. Watching "The Man from Snowy River"

3. Eating some Auatrilain Yoghurt.

Oh, look what I found.

Thanks!

QUOTE (DeDanan @ Wed 2004-06-16, 06:41:58)

Have you got any ideas or guidelines on how much money is required in girlfriends bank account when applying for a visa?

An immigration officer told me over the phone as a rule $1,000 per month in OZ, 3 months = $3,000

Tourist Visa....Short stay visa is for only 3 months....

Are you sponsoring him? if so you will need to provide proof of your income.

I will be applying for my girl next tuesday and can maybe be of more help to you after then...will be back in about 2 weeks.

Hello.

First, thanks to all the people who post to share their experiences.  There are lots of us reading and taking notes.

My partner will be applying for a tourist visa next month, for a four month trip, and we're wondering what would be considered 'sufficient funds'.  Anyone have any ideas? 

His budget is getting smaller and smaller as he's been helping  his sister during her husband's illness and, I'm sorry to say, death yesterday and funeral this week.

We'd prefer to apply later and save a little more, rather than be turned down.  Otherwise, until recently, we've been confident that his application would be successful.

Any (genuine) input would be appreciated.

Ta.

Hey Mate,

I took my gf back home to OZ in April for a 2 week holiday. I showed 60,000 baht in a joint account as sufficient funds and I believe they work it out on approx $1,000 AUS per month. So I think you should use that as a guide, also writing a nice letter stating that he will be providing accomodation and general expenses helps as well.

The only hassle for me was it took 2 weeks of processing to get the visa, also make sure you get down to the visa app centre as soon as it opens at 8:30am as it gets full very quickly.

Ok, here are some facts.

1. The Australain embassy in Bangkok will almost never give a tourist visa for more than 3 months, so the idea of 4 months will be a dream, I suggest you change the itinerary.

2. The Australian Embassy in Bangkok seem to take every joy in using and abusing their "discretionary" powers. So expect alot of frustration.

3. You will need to produce documentation that you believe is pointless and really there is no need for.

Also expect them to acuse your partner / friend of having an "Immoral Occupation", or to use their words to my wife "We think you are a prostitute". Of course in Australia to say that to someone would get you into trouble, unless you work for the Australian Embassy in Bangkok.

My advice, change her travel plans to a country that welcome Thai Citizens. When was the last time you saw "Tourism Australia" advertise in Thailand ?

My next holiday, that I expect to spend alot of money will not be to Australia.

Consider this:

She can get plenty of Australian culture from:

1. Watching Crocodile Dundee movies.

2. Watching "The Man from Snowy River"

3. Eating some Auatrilain Yoghurt.

Sorry as an Aussie, I just have to stick up for our embassy and immigration policy in general on a few points there.

You should be blaming Thai people in the past that have overstayed and abused the system for the current policies. In the past there were are a lot of Thai & Russian / Eastern European women that would come over with their boyfriend / husband , ditch him after a few weeks when they realised he wasn't that well off and end up in the prostitution trade.

If someone can't show employment or a history of income and is only relying on their partner for support then the embassy should be putting their relationship through the microscope. I suspect a lot of your pointless documentation had to do with this.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Guys, Just got back to Oz....

Visa....we had

my pay slips, some pics, a stat dec, letters and cards, my Dept of Justice ID, western union slips. We put her down as unemployed and separated and me as a sponsor.

Result...

Visa granted in 6 days.....and she is HERE NOW :D:D

Bouquets to the AFS staff.....very very helpful and ploite even though I was hungover :o

Me.....Very Happy now......Her....very cold :D

I have seen some "Immigrate to [south] Australia" ads on the TV.. but the channel might be coming down off a satellite so I'm not really sure who the intended audience is.