Happy Hour Bars

brennanstimpy

Since Tusker's is no more :( , I am trying to find a good bar/pub that has happy hour specials on Friday nights. The more chill the bar the better because discussions will be had and it helps to hear each other while conversing. Anyone have any suggestions? In the city is also helpful. Thanks in advance.

brennanstimpy

There's nothing wrong in enjoying a few beers for half the price you would pay in most of the more expensive places. Some peoples' money has been devalued by up to 20% with the rise of the baht. Belts are being tightened. Maybe some are lucky to not be affected by this. Good for you!

Somebody mentioned the Gecko. Great place. 3 large beers ranging from 129 for Archa/Cheers to 155 for Leo. All night long, every night of the week. Happy hour on cocktails and spirits from 5-9ish every evening. Food specials too.

I have no stake in this place. I only wish to provide information. :jap:

There's nothing wrong in enjoying a few beers for half the price you would pay in most of the more expensive places. Some peoples' money has been devalued by up to 20% with the rise of the baht. Belts are being tightened. Maybe some are lucky to not be affected by this. Good for you!

Somebody mentioned the Gecko. Great place. 3 large beers ranging from 129 for Archa/Cheers to 155 for Leo. All night long, every night of the week. Happy hour on cocktails and spirits from 5-9ish every evening. Food specials too.

Tin Helmet at the ready.................If people can't afford to drink in bars they should drink at home or give it up and keep their devalued dosh in the bank.

People can afford to drink in bars but they don't need to pay over a hundred baht for one Thai beer to do it, do they? Gecko is quite a busy little venue amongst both expats and tourists, foreigners and Thais. Therein lies the key.

And to trainman, by making your tin helmet remark you then proceed to make a comment which you feel will spark people off.

Forum Rule 5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.:rolleyes:

People can afford to drink in bars but they don't need to pay over a hundred baht for one Thai beer to do it, do they? Gecko is quite a busy little venue amongst both expats and tourists, foreigners and Thais. Therein lies the key.

And to trainman, by making your tin helmet remark you then proceed to make a comment which you feel will spark people off.

Forum Rule 5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.:rolleyes:

shall we tell the mods to take the rest of the day off if you're taking over?

Drinks are already cheap enough in Chiang Mai in the majority of establishments.

Perhaps with respect to other Muang Thai climes, old boy, but as we all know, beer is one of those items that is tax'd to the hilt and out of sync with everything else... a bit like beamers and proper beans. :rolleyes:

I do agree, though, that 10 or 20 baht off a beer for an hour or two is neither here nor there and wouldn't tempt me from one place to the next unless it had something going for it. You could always get in the Kafe for a few, op, as standard prices there are still at happy hour prices of anywhere else. Was there few weeks back and Tigers were 55 baht, other beers 45/50. Quiet enough and you can sit down and talk all you like before you get tank'd up and head out. ;)

How about the 88 baht Beer Buffet between 5:30pm and 8:30pm.. That'll fit the bill in terms of cheapyness.

Ack! Please don't disclose this one! Would hate for the TV crowd to start swarming there :(

-Mestizo

Edited by Mestizo
  • Like 1

I think Happy Hour offers new customers an introduction and regular customers a chance to try something new

I don't necessarily need a chang or singh to be 20 baht off, but deals on cocktails, or a house specialty is fun

Its also just a good reason to try a new place

You can't tell me that if a place sponsored this forum, posted a thread offering Happy Hour Promotion or Dinner Special that it wouldn't draw a decent Thai Visa crowd

Ask Pun Pun -- his chicken fried steak reached the Google top searches list

Edited by PlanetX

I think Happy Hour offers new customers an introduction and regular customers a chance to try something new

I don't necessarily need a chang or singh to be 20 baht off, but deals on cocktails, or a house specialty is fun

You can't tell me that if a place sponsored this forum, posted a thread offering Happy Hour Promotion or Dinner Special that it wouldn't draw a decent Thai Visa crowd

Exactly :thumbsup:

Friday nights at Tuskers drew a lot of people in because of the promotions they were running it then became the night to party regardless.

Pun Pun only gave away 5 dinners at 30 baht each for a one time setting. OK I did get one the next day for 50 baht. He was not craze enough to keep it up . Were you GF?:whistling: And as for drawing a decent TV crowd, hum, you'll definitely draw the balloon chasers.:lol:

Pun Pun only gave away 5 dinners at 30 baht each for a one time setting. OK I did get one the next day for 50 baht. He was not craze enough to keep it up . Were you GF?:whistling: And as for drawing a decent TV crowd, hum, you'll definitely draw the balloon chasers.:lol:

Exactly. He gave away 5 dinners and sparked a 5 day conversation (I love the place. Great food :)

Its the attention and drawing in of new customers

There is the TV posting crowd and the TV Chiang Mai community - Many people "lurk" or simply choose not to post

How about the 88 baht Beer Buffet between 5:30pm and 8:30pm.. That'll fit the bill in terms of cheapyness.

Ack! Please don't disclose this one! Would hate for the TV crowd to start swarming there :(

-Mestizo

LOL.. Yes, I intentionally did not put the location in there.. but did want to see if you'd respond. :D

To be honest though, if it becomes more successful then other places will copy, which would be a good thing. And they'd need even more curvy beer chicks to handle the increased demand.. But my lips remain sealed for now.

Please mod me back up +1 ! My reputation is hurting. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

Tin Helmet at the ready.................If people can't afford to drink in bars they should drink at home or give it up and keep their devalued dosh in the bank.

People drink wherever they choose and it's quite sad that a lot of farangs can't converse in Thai and therefore miss out on a lot of fun + cheap beer at Thai bars, They have to be content sitting in some hopeful farang's bar, listening to the same old boring stuff night after night, whilst paying premium prices.......good luck to them. sad.gif

People drink wherever they choose and it's quite sad that a lot of farangs can't converse in Thai and therefore miss out on a lot of fun + cheap beer at Thai bars, They have to be content sitting in some hopeful farang's bar, listening to the same old boring stuff night after night, whilst paying premium prices.......good luck to them. sad.gif

as you said, quite sad. same old boring stuff. night after night. paying premium prices too!! good luck to them indeed. and god bless you for wishing them good luck.

if only they could converse in thai like what you do. they wouldnt be missing out . they could be having lots of fun. + cheap beers. at thai bars!!

people drink wherever they choose and

^ Thank you God, or whoever cut off that rant mid-stream. ;)

I may disagree with Uptheos however that you need to be fluent in Thai to appreciate non-tourist-ghetto bars. (Better term than 'Thai' bars.)

And note that non-tourist bars run the complete spectrum: most are cheaper than the tourist bars, but quite a few are priced the same or more expensive.

Final point: There usually is a person at this point in this dicussion who says 'well, if you can't afford 80 baht for a beer then just drink outside a 7-Eleven!'. That-Person, where are you? Slacker! :D

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I love how people on here just start to go off based on little to no information. My group meets every Friday night from 7 to 10 or so and some of us can afford to pay "premium" prices and some cannot. There are only about two guys that are cheap. We have had as many as 13 people at a time and will become regulars at whatever establishment we choose. Happy Hour is just the initial draw. I think Chas was very pleased that we met at his place for almost three years every Friday night even if most of us didn't buy beers outside of his happy hour time. I really appreciate those of you who actually had input on this post. I have now checked out the Gekko Garden, we will meet there this Friday to see if the group enjoys the new location. Thanks to some, no thanks to most. I am interested in the 88 baht beer buffet, is that at Samoe?

• Like 2

I may disagree with Uptheos however that you need to be fluent in Thai to appreciate non-tourist-ghetto bars. (Better term than 'Thai' bars.)

And note that non-tourist bars run the complete spectrum: most are cheaper than the tourist bars, but quite a few are priced the same or more expensive.

Final point: There usually is a person at this point in this dicussion who says 'well, if you can't afford 80 baht for a beer then just drink outside a 7-Eleven!'. That-Person, where are you? Slacker! :D

Winnie, I didn't say fluent in Thai, I said converse, which could mean a few simple sentences or greetings.

I understand people going to the popular pricey bars night after night, as they are probably continuing where they left off back home i.e. "down the pub getting drunk with my mates" and they feel safe. For this safety and their insecurity, they are happy to pay whatever the pubs ask and of course when you are always paying above the odds it's normal to criticize others, who don't want to do the same - it's akin to jealousy. wink.gif

Winnie, I didn't say fluent in Thai, I said converse, which could mean a few simple sentences or greetings.

"Sawaddy crap, coon suway mark mark crap! " Then say 'B E E R" in the general direction of the Chang Chick, and pantomime an elephant with your arm in front of your nose.

Works every time.

"Sawaddy crap, coon suway mark mark crap! " Then say 'B E E R" in the general direction of the Chang Chick, and pantomime an elephant with your arm in front of your nose.

Works every time.

You smoothie cool.gif

I love how people on here just start to go off based on little to no information. My group meets every Friday night from 7 to 10 or so and some of us can afford to pay "premium" prices and some cannot. There are only about two guys that are cheap. We have had as many as 13 people at a time and will become regulars at whatever establishment we choose. Happy Hour is just the initial draw. I think Chas was very pleased that we met at his place for almost three years every Friday night even if most of us didn't buy beers outside of his happy hour time. I really appreciate those of you who actually had input on this post. I have now checked out the Gekko Garden, we will meet there this Friday to see if the group enjoys the new location. Thanks to some, no thanks to most. I am interested in the 88 baht beer buffet, is that at Samoe?

PM Mestizo. If you all pass the coolness test or at least are relatively un-typical-TV-crowd, and preferably female then the secret may be revealed.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Works every time.

You smoothie cool.gif

Winnie, next time try this elephant impersonation..........

Invert and pull out the pockets of your trousers to create the elephant ears, lower the zip of your trousers to expose the trunk and continue if you please. It becomes easier as the night continues.

• Like 1