Happy Hour Bars

brennanstimpy

I love how people on here just start to go off based on little to no information. My group meets every Friday night from 7 to 10 or so and some of us can afford to pay "premium" prices and some cannot. There are only about two guys that are cheap. We have had as many as 13 people at a time and will become regulars at whatever establishment we choose. Happy Hour is just the initial draw. I think Chas was very pleased that we met at his place for almost three years every Friday night even if most of us didn't buy beers outside of his happy hour time. I really appreciate those of you who actually had input on this post. I have now checked out the Gekko Garden, we will meet there this Friday to see if the group enjoys the new location. Thanks to some, no thanks to most. I am interested in the 88 baht beer buffet, is that at Samoe?

PM Mestizo. If you all pass the coolness test or at least are relatively un-typical-TV-crowd, and preferably female then the secret may be revealed.

Yes, Chas did a great job in initiating specials and I doubt if he would ever begrudge anyone taking advantage of his happy hour, it put people in the place and this draws other people. A lot of other pubs could not possibly initiate happy hour, the owners are so bloody miserable!

Winnie, I didn't say fluent in Thai, I said converse, which could mean a few simple sentences or greetings.

I understand people going to the popular pricey bars night after night, as they are probably continuing where they left off back home i.e. "down the pub getting drunk with my mates" and they feel safe. For this safety and their insecurity, they are happy to pay whatever the pubs ask and of course when you are always paying above the odds it's normal to criticize others, who don't want to do the same - it's akin to jealousy. wink.gif

you said people who sit in farang bars are sad and boring and now you say theyre insecure.

like you said it's normal to criticize others, who don't want to do the same - it's akin to jealousy.

Winnie, I didn't say fluent in Thai, I said converse, which could mean a few simple sentences or greetings.

I understand people going to the popular pricey bars night after night, as they are probably continuing where they left off back home i.e. "down the pub getting drunk with my mates" and they feel safe. For this safety and their insecurity, they are happy to pay whatever the pubs ask and of course when you are always paying above the odds it's normal to criticize others, who don't want to do the same - it's akin to jealousy. wink.gif

you said people who sit in farang bars are sad and boring and now you say theyre insecure.

like you said it's normal to criticize others, who don't want to do the same - it's akin to jealousy.

Yep, I see people sitting in farang bars, slouched on the bar and gazing through glazed eyes at the bottles on the shelf.................I'm reeeeally jealous. wink.gif

Perhaps with respect to other Muang Thai climes, old boy, but as we all know, beer is one of those items that is tax'd to the hilt and out of sync with everything else... a bit like beamers and proper beans. :rolleyes:

<snip for brevity>

Apropos of which, Rimping Mee-Chok had McGarrett's baked-beans (usually 45B) marked-down to 35B, a few days ago ! :)

Apologies for going off-topic. B)

Yep, I see people sitting in farang bars, slouched on the bar and gazing through glazed eyes at the bottles on the shelf.................I'm reeeeally jealous. wink.gif

so youre looking for happy hour in thai bars only or do you want happy hour in farang bars too, so you can sit there feeling sorry for the jealous sad boring insecure slouching customers and the miserable owners?

so youre looking for happy hour in thai bars only or do you want happy hour in farang bars too, so you can sit there feeling sorry for the jealous sad boring insecure slouching customers and the miserable owners?

Feeling sorry for them?????

Don't need a happy hour in Thai bars, their prices are cheap enough. smile.gif

Not for Fridays, but a great place I highly recommend - and this won't offend anyone, as it always has about 50-50 mix of Thais and farang - is the Wednesday nights at Sangdee Gallery, Soi 5 Sirimankalajarn Road. It is run by D Foundation, a non-profit, so drinks are really reasonable. They normally have live music, even the odd performer (belly dancing last week) and the crowd is students, artists, NGOs, random expats and people in the neighbourhood. It is one of those places you go and sit with strangers and just end up in a huge debate in Thai and English about life, love, philosophy and crap. Marvellous, friendly, inexpensive, fun. It starts from around 6ish...

Feeling sorry for them?????

Don't need a happy hour in Thai bars, their prices are cheap enough. smile.gif

45 baht for a large Leo. How much cheaper can you get.:lol:

I love how people on here just start to go off based on little to no information. My group meets every Friday night from 7 to 10 or so and some of us can afford to pay "premium" prices and some cannot. There are only about two guys that are cheap. We have had as many as 13 people at a time and will become regulars at whatever establishment we choose. Happy Hour is just the initial draw. I think Chas was very pleased that we met at his place for almost three years every Friday night even if most of us didn't buy beers outside of his happy hour time. I really appreciate those of you who actually had input on this post. I have now checked out the Gekko Garden, we will meet there this Friday to see if the group enjoys the new location. Thanks to some, no thanks to most. I am interested in the 88 baht beer buffet, is that at Samoe?

Give that one a miss then :o looks like it's going to be busy :D

How about the 88 baht Beer Buffet between 5:30pm and 8:30pm.. That'll fit the bill in terms of cheapyness.

Ack! Please don't disclose this one! Would hate for the TV crowd to start swarming there :(

-Mestizo

LOL.. Yes, I intentionally did not put the location in there.. but did want to see if you'd respond. :D

To be honest though, if it becomes more successful then other places will copy, which would be a good thing. And they'd need even more curvy beer chicks to handle the increased demand.. But my lips remain sealed for now.

Please mod me back up +1 ! My reputation is hurting. ;)

Your reputation appears to be quite exrodianary as it is :whistling: