Worth It To Buy A Macbook Pro 13" In Thailand?

Trevor25222

Macbook Pro 13" 2.4 GHz at Amazon (UK) £898 = Baht 43,553 ... more expensive than ... Baht 40,900 at Apple Store Thailand.

Macbook Pro 13" 2.66 GHz at Amazon (UK) £1,040 = Baht 50,440 ... cheaper than ... Baht 51,900 at Apple Store Thailand (Latest version with fastest processor).

Interesting that the latest model is cheaper in the UK! Also worth mentioning that the British rate of VAT will rise from 17.5% to 20% on 4th January 2011.

Savings of around 20% are possible buying used models less than a year old from private eBay sellers.

Is the Apple store (Thailand) mail-order only, or is there a retail shop? Any discount for personal pick-up?

Looking at the crude figures, and figuring-in possible customs dues in the West, there doesn't appear to be much incentive to buy in Thailand. Unless I am missing something? Strange, as Asia was traditionally significantly cheaper for most items.

Thailand being cheaper or even as cheap as any place in the west for Apple is a total novelty. I am surprised it's a bit cheaper here, really.

There are no official Apple stores here, but there are many authorized Apple resellers who all match the Apple website prices. There's no discount for personal pick-up.

You will get a keyboard with Thai characters on it (around the latin characters) - that may not be what you want. So all in all, not worth buying here I'd say.

I would not buy an Apple in Thailand. Support is not as good. Accessories are more expensive. Repairs and service not as good. Buy one in your home country. Just paid 2900 baht for new power adapter. Can buy in USA for 1300 Baht also new battery 5300 baht- 2000 baht in USA. Thai key board mentioned. Support technicians English is at times difficult to decipher. Highly recommend Apple product however.

I have bought 2 Macbooks here in Thailand, have had no need for warranty service so can not comment on that. Don't forget that the Thai prices include the 7% VAT which you can get back at the airport when you leave the country. If you figure that in, then yes they are a bit cheaper here than in most western countries.

Of course if you will be hit with any kind of customs duties arriving in your home country that could be a problem........

P.S. I don't even notice the Thai characters on the key board

I would not buy an Apple in Thailand. Support is not as good. Accessories are more expensive. Repairs and service not as good. Buy one in your home country. Just paid 2900 baht for new power adapter. Can buy in USA for 1300 Baht also new battery 5300 baht- 2000 baht in USA. Thai key board mentioned. Support technicians English is at times difficult to decipher. Highly recommend Apple product however.

Sorry but I disagree with your comment about support

Apple support is worldwide and brilliant.

Sure the technicians out here may be a little less knowledgeable but that depends on where you are when an issue occurs, not where you bought it.

As for accessories, yes the USA may be cheaper but apple is American. Other countries are generally the same.

Genuine apple accessories are notorious for being overpriced, but they are good quality. Copies for all accessories exist but don't be surprised if it doesn't last as long.

Apple products are price-fixed worldwide so you won't get a big difference in price, but changing exchange rates and tax back could make it cheaper.

The only difference in what you buy over here is the keyboard and the power supply.

The power supply is modular, cant remember if the provide uk plug too but certainly easy to get.

Last thing, get the 3 year apple care, worth every baht to protect your investment!