Bombs And A State Of Emergency In Thailand

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

Bombs and a state of emergency

By Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

It could be hard work for police to catch the culprits behind a series of bombs in Bangkok this month. But the government cannot afford to let the situation continue like it is at present. Small bomb blasts have occurred every few days.

A government security source suggested that people who organised the blasts were killing two birds with one stone. The masterminds did not want reconciliation efforts to materialise and also wanted to discredit the government. The source said the masterminds were the government's rivals.

An analysis by security agencies is as follows:

Masterminds behind the bombs could be "Men in Black" or hardcore red-shirt protesters who wanted to create a disturbance, either for revenge, or to discredit the government. The bombs showed the government had failed to control security, and this would affect investments and tourism. If the country returned to normalcy or no bomb attacks, international observers would be confident the government could bring the country back to stability.

The series of bombs in the capital were designed to be a slap on the government's face, as they could cut support from some Bangkokians due to the failure to prevent explosions in the capital, the source said.

Another possible motive behind the bombs could be an attempt to block efforts aimed at reconciliation. Those who might benefit from disturbances did not want reconciliation to occur. The political conflict in the country did not only involve yellow shirts and red-shirt demonstrators or the red shirts and the government. Different groups in circles of power were also involved in a struggle for benefit. Men in uniform, namely the military and the police, were not happy with the annual reshuffle.

However, the government's accusation that red shirts or 'Men in Black' are involved - without any concrete evidence - could backfire on them, as there have been suspicions that the government or the military planted the bombs to give them an excuse to maintain the state of emergency. The blasts have coincided with public debate on whether to lift the emergency decree or not. The accusation is that the government may have motives to want to maintain the state of emergency.

In this case, if the government decided to maintain the state of emergency in Bangkok, people would understand this was necessary for some further period. But it's likely that the capital will be under a state of emergency for a long period.

The emergency decree is due to expire next week on October 7. Seven provinces still under the state of emergency are Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani, Udon Thani, Khon Kaen, and Nakhon Ratchasima. Interior Ministry is set to propose that the state of emergency be lifted in the three Northeast provinces.

Thawil Pliensri, secretary general of the National Security Council, said yesterday that the state of emergency in Bangkok may have to be extended until the end of the year or some time next year to cope with ongoing bomb attacks.

He said the NSC agreed with an assessment by the Department of Special Investigation that bomb blasts would continue to rock Bangkok until the year-end.

However, such decisions may backfire on the government, as Bangkokians may not be so patient. But if no suspects are arrested and there are more bomb blasts, it could make the ruling Democrat Party lose popularity among voters in Bangkok.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-29

I notice the house of the parents of the first person to state Bangkok would see a wave of bombings burned yesterday.

"House of Jakrapop's parents damaged in fire

The house of the parents of fugitive former PM's Office minister Jakrapop Penkair was damaged in a fire Tuesday afternoon.

The fire broke out on the second floor of the two-storey house of Jamnong Penkair and Natthawan Penkair on Soi Phaholyothin 56 in Bangkok's Saimai district at 1 pm.

Fire fighters took about half an hour to control the blaze which engulfed the second floor.

Officials suspected the fire was caused by short circuit."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/House-of-Jakrapops-parents-damaged-in-fire-30138903.html

Note: I read somewhere that the fire started in the 'Buddha room' on the second floor. Such a room would have lights on in the night and sometimes candles lit.

Police to catch soldiers? Police have hand guns. Soldiers have machine guns. Who is going to win?

However, such decisions may backfire on the government, as Bangkokians may not be so patient. But if no suspects are arrested and there are more bomb blasts, it could make the ruling Democrat Party lose popularity among voters in Bangkok.

Soldiers have machine guns, but less power. Well, let's say sometimes.....

Looks like a personal message of a pro Thaksin writer.....

Aeeh Thaksin, where are you? Why don't you gaap Baahn? :jap:

I hate to say this, but I think things might get a lot worse again, before they get better. I truly hope I am way off on my feelings, because I have lived here for years and really do not want to move. I love Thailand and just wish they could resolve this whole situation PEACEFULLY!!!

It is always going to be conjecture as to who or whom are responsible for a spate of bombings. The barbs of course are at the Govt for its inability to secure Bangkok. So it is hardly likely it would be bombing itself to maintain a SOE! But the red supporters will maintain the accusation it is the Govt bombing its own constituent. rolleyes.gif

But the issue is the Police are unable to enforce rule of law either by its normal incompetence or its unwillingness to do so. There are enough surveillance cameras around to pick up most suspicious happenings but there has to be someone who is willing to investigate.

The army, if rolled out again, will not serve any great purpose either other than to inflame red shirt protestors so again the Govt is showing restraint against the idiots who wish to continue the violence. And in my opinion they are politically related to the colour red! And would anyone actually vote to have these people in a position of power? Seriously? Thus you would think a directive would be issued by their leaders to cease and desist to help their cause but that would be common sense and we know that does not exist in Thailand. ermm.gif

I notice the house of the parents of the first person to state Bangkok would see a wave of bombings burned yesterday.

The house of the parents of fugitive former PM's Office minister Jakrapop Penkair was damaged in a fire Tuesday afternoon.

The fire broke out on the second floor of the two-storey house of Jamnong Penkair and Natthawan Penkair on Soi Phaholyothin 56 in Bangkok's Saimai district at 1 pm.

Fire fighters took about half an hour to control the blaze which engulfed the second floor.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/House-of-Jakrapops-parents-damaged-in-fire-30138903.html

Note: I read somewhere that the fire started in the 'Buddha room' on the second floor. Such a room would have lights on in the night and sometimes candles lit.

Probe still underway for fire at UDD leader Jakrapop´s parent´s house

BANGKOK, 30 September 2010 (NNT) — Sai Mai police are still waiting for reports from the forensic department relative to the cause of fire that burnt down the house of the parents of one of the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) leaders, Jakrapob Penkair, two days ago.

Authorities said the damage to the house was estimated at one million baht. Forensic experts suspected that the fire was caused by either a short circuit or arson. Police said more evidence was needed before they could reach conclusion on the cause of the fire.

UDD Core Leader Jakrapob Penkair said in his announcement that the 44-year-old house was built by his hard-earned money.

Fortunately, nobody was hurt in the fire. He did not know whether the house was torched or burnt down by accident.

Jakrapop, a former minister during the Thaksin Shinawatara’s administration, thanked the red-shirt for their moral support and warned them to be on alert at all times, saying something like this could happen to anyone fighting for democracy.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-09-30 footer_n.gif

http://www.nationmul...e-30138903.html

Probe still underway for fire at UDD leader Jakrapop´s parent´s house

BANGKOK, 30 September 2010 (NNT) — Sai Mai police are still waiting for reports from the forensic department relative to the cause of fire that burnt down the house of the parents of one of the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) leaders, Jakrapob Penkair, two days ago.

Authorities said the damage to the house was estimated at one million baht. Forensic experts suspected that the fire was caused by either a short circuit or arson. Police said more evidence was needed before they could reach conclusion on the cause of the fire.

UDD Core Leader Jakrapob Penkair said in his announcement that the 44-year-old house was built by his hard-earned money.

Fortunately, nobody was hurt in the fire. He did not know whether the house was torched or burnt down by accident.

Jakrapop, a former minister during the Thaksin Shinawatara's administration, thanked the red-shirt for their moral support and warned them to be on alert at all times, saying something like this could happen to anyone fighting for democracy.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-09-30 footer_n.gif

No think too much. It is just an accident. Nothing more.

(accidental combustion of bomb making materials, perhaps?)

• Like 1