Receiving A Transfer - Very Confused

I have the basic savings account at Kasikorn bank that everybody here mentions opening. Somebody in the US needs to send me some money as a transfer. Can he send the money in dollars and Kasikorn does the conversion here? If he chooses to send baht instead of dollars, the exchange price he gets from his bank in the US is horrible and I end up losing almost $60 (on top of the $45 he has to pay for the transfer). I believe my account here is in baht, so can I accept a transfer made in dollars?

Open a savings account with Bangkok Bank and have the money wired to the Bangkok Bank in New York. You can request US dollars when the wire is sent. Banks only charge you $12.50 for the transfer since it is not considered an international transfer. Money is deposited to your account the same day. You will receive the TT exchange rate which is the highest the bank offers. Check Bangkok Bank web site and you can get the SWIFT account number for New York Bangkok BAnk. May save you some money.

Dan

Chiang Dao

second the Bangkok bank idea for future use.

Also many US banks allow bank to bank through their internet interface if you set it up.

In my case the transfer is only $2 that is a real deal these days.

I use to pay $40 for an international SWIFT type transfer.

Yes, they can remit USD from the US, and when it arrives in Thailand Kbank will turn it into baht and put it in your account (at whatever rate of exchange applies on the day).

In my experience the bank always 'phones me and ask me to agree to the exchange rate before the money is credited to my account. I can either accept that day's exchange rate, or wait (up to a year) until there's an exchange rate I like.

Be aware of hidden charges if wiring over money. At least from the UK.

I transferred some money over recently, my UK bank charged me 25GBP. I don't have a problem with that. My local Bangkok Bank charged me 400Baht, I don't have a problem with that. Unbeknown to me at the time, an intermediary bank was used which was the Bangkok Bank London. Bangkok Bank in London charged me 27GBP to transfer the money to Thailand. I do have a problem with that. All in all 60GBP to transfer some money over. To make matters worse Bangkok Bank London refuse to answer my e-mails.

Edited by SussexExpat

Be aware of hidden charges if wiring over money. At least from the UK.

I transferred some money over recently, my UK bank charged me 25GBP. I don't have a problem with that. My local Bangkok Bank charged me 400Baht, I don't have a problem with that. Unbeknown to me at the time, an intermediary bank was used which was the Bangkok Bank London. Bangkok Bank in London charged me 27GBP to transfer the money to Thailand. I do have a problem with that. All in all 60GBP to transfer some money over. To make matters worse Bangkok Bank London refuse to answer my e-mails.

Please contact me via PM. I will get you an answer and we will definitely stand by our published charges. I will give you my Bank email, you can correspond in a confidential channel. You can publish whatever you want once this is all explained. Thanks

I am assuming you were transferring to Bangkok Bank in Thailand and not another Thai bank.

Edited by ianguygil