Zone 2 Parking Lot At Suvarnabhumi Airport Closed Off By Armed Men

webfact

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm an "International" or even Thailand "insurgent", I'm thinking to myself:

"Humm, an UNARMED mob took over the whole airport and nothing happened to them. Now just 40 armed men have closed off a parking lot. What an easy target. Hey, Ahkmed, come here and let's make some plans!"

Amazing Thailand in the fact that, as noted earlier, there's never a dull moment, and you want up each day wondering what's going to happen next. I think Phil Colins & Genesis said it best:

I must have dreamed a thousand dreams

Been haunted by a million screams

But I can hear the marching feet

They're moving into the street

Now, did you read the news today?

They say the danger has gone away

But I can see the fire's still alight

They're burning into the night

There's too many men, too many people

Making too many problems

And there's not much love to go around

Can't you see this is a land of confusion?

This is the world we live in

And these are the hands we're given

Use them and let's start trying

To make it a place worth living in

Oh, superman, where are you now?

When everything's gone wrong somehow?

The men of steel, these men of power

Are losing control by the hour

This is the time, this is the place

So we look for the future

But there's not much love to go around

Tell me why this is a land of confusion

This is the world we live in

And these are the hands we're given

Use them and let's start trying

To make it a place worth living in

I remember long ago

When the sun was shining

And all the stars were bright all through the night

In the wake of this madness, as I held you tight

So long ago

GREAT POSTING

<br />I think I've finally acclimatised to life in Thailand.  The story didn't horrify or surprise me - not even a raised eyebrow.  Now I know what TiT really means<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I'm with you, no surprises anymore for me either. LOS, Land Of Somalia ;)

This doesn't happen in the west because we have bigger disputes to deal with. In the last big one, the USA, UK and others send hundreds of thousands of soldiers to settle a dispute over oil in Iraq. They killed a few hundred thosand in the process just to show them who's really in charge of the oil. Thais fight over parking lots without killing anyone. We fight over oil and don't care how many we kill. So who's the most civilized?

HEY, it was not USAmericas fault that the Iraquis were sitting on USAmerican Oil ! B)

anyway, its totally OFF TOPIC but I want see what happend if the same goes on on Chicago Airport or somewhere in Germany LOL

But in Thailand its a normal story, tomorrow they will say "I am soLLy" and in a week someone will have an accident somewhere.

Unfortunately there are so much more stories like this we never hear about.

Edited by moskito

It will all boil down to the root of all evil. Money!

There is nothing evil about money. How would we manage our lives without it? How would you pay for you food, clothes, etc?

To say "Money is the root of all evil" is very different from saying "Money is evil". The first expression is saying that if you examine evil you will find money at its root. It doesn't mean that all money and its uses are evil, but simply that evil is fuelled by money. If you say for example that "matches are at the root of most forest fires" it doesn't negate the value of matches.

The original quote, from the Christian New Testament, 1 Timothy 6:10, is,"For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil." In general I notice that religious teachers do not greatly admire worldly wealth. Jesus taught that rich people will not go to heaven. Unfortunately his teachings were soon corrupted, and in the 15th Century Jean Calvin taught that worldly wealth in fact shows that God loves you. He also taught that only 4,000 people are going to heaven and they've already been chosen, so it doesn't matter whether you believe or not, nor whether you live a righteous life, if you are of the elect you're going to heaven and the rest of us are not. Sorry, this has nothing to do with the price of rice or armed men taking over a concession.

Four thousand, eh - and if wealth shows that God loves us, then presumably the 4,000 richest people go to heaven - wow, Forbes already has all these names. This version of God sounds like he could have been a principle adviser to the Bush administration. As if we needed more evidence that it is all fairy tales compiled by a bunch of self-appointed religious scholars in order to consolidate their own power - which is almost indistinguishable from money, oddly enough.

offtopic2.gifofftopic.gif

I can just imagine the headline when the UK tabloids pick up on this: "Armed Group Takes Over Bangkok Airport" TAT better start on yet another revision on tourist arrival figures for the upcoming high season.

So does anyone actually know why 40 black shirted armed men closed the airport car park?

Quoted from OP

The problem stems from a concession dispute after a new concessionaire won the rights to manage the parking lot, but the previous concessionaire refuses to vacate the premises.

No, you all have it wrong...this story has got all out of control...the 40 armed men were just providing parking security....you don't have to worry about your spare tire being stolen with them around...talk nice to them and they will even validate your parking snub. ;)

Are you sure about that? so why is ThaiVisa re-reporting stories like this, "just to get us all excited"? :D

Edited by newermonkey

So does anyone actually know why 40 black shirted armed men closed the airport car park?

Quoted from OP

The problem stems from a concession dispute after a new concessionaire won the rights to manage the parking lot, but the previous concessionaire refuses to vacate the premises.

Oh, yeah - thanks Webfact for pointing out my inability to read ;)

I must admit, this was a rather heavy duty "dop jai" whilst trying to keep momentary track of the news during my working day.

Back to work :jap:

So, the State of Emergency is still in effect, bombs are still going off, Politicians are being threatened with assassination (supposedly) and 40 armed men are now allowed to take over a part of the premier Thai airport . . . why am I not surprised that this can STILL happen here :(

TAT and TTA better revise those figures down even more I think and perhaps give a realistic estimate for once instead of numbers pulled out of the air to 'save face' for Thailand.

Hey New Army General

40 armed men is an army. BiB are useless. Attack now General and show these thugs who is boss.

you said it. i can't imagine how a hostage situation would have played out. would have been the bad news bears even compared to the recent situation in the philippines.

40 armed men yet there are police and soldiers al over BKK. even in undeveloped places the area would be swarming with army personel, swat, adn sharpshooters.

Tricky situation I would say.

last thing they need is a shoot out at an international Airport.

Yet having armed men in there is also not good.

I have heard a few stories about the men in black who are often used to solve disputes in Bangkok.

Absolutely incredible story, how ever can it be

allowed :w00t:

Great advert for tourism, not!

Baggage Porter Bandits, Taxi Touts and now (more) armed Men in Black....... unreal anywhere but the Land of (in)Sanity.

regards from Saudi Arabia,

Brewsta

The new concessionaire that was to take over the car park were awarded the concession by the AoT Revenue Committee who did so without informing the Board of Directors. Suvarnabhumi airport director Niran Theeranartsin approved the award. However, the AoT Board Chairman, Piyapan Champasut pointed out that the proposed contract with Pangram would have a lifespan of 15 years, when all concessions issued by the AoT that exceed five years needed to have board approval.

OK, On monday, the board ordered Suvarnabhumi airport director Niran Theeranartsin and Don Mueang airport chief Aniroot Thanomkulaboot to swap jobs. The changes were made to pave the way for an investigation into alleged irregularities involving a plan to allow Pangrum Retail Co to turn Suvarnabhumi's long-term parking lot into a commercial development named Suvarnabhumi Square.

And then, Transport Minister Sohpon Zarum got involved, and complained about Airports of Thailand Plc keeping him in the dark about major management changes and its operational plans. A Transport Ministry source said the minister was unhappy with the board's decision to move Mr Nirand from Suvarnabhumi.

So it would appear the interested party most concerned with going ahead with the concession would be the Bhumjaithai Party,

Hardly Reds under the beds stuff, is it.

Just a bunch of theiving clowns, but hey this is Thailand

There is nothing evil about money. How would we manage our lives without it? How would you pay for you food, clothes, etc?

To say "Money is the root of all evil" is very different from saying "Money is evil". The first expression is saying that if you examine evil you will find money at its root. It doesn't mean that all money and its uses are evil, but simply that evil is fuelled by money. If you say for example that "matches are at the root of most forest fires" it doesn't negate the value of matches.

The root of all evil is quite simply...(drum-roll)...people :jap:

The original quote, from the Christian New Testament, 1 Timothy 6:10, is,"For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil." In general I notice that religious teachers do not greatly admire worldly wealth. Jesus taught that rich people will not go to heaven. Unfortunately his teachings were soon corrupted, and in the 15th Century Jean Calvin taught that worldly wealth in fact shows that God loves you. He also taught that only 4,000 people are going to heaven and they've already been chosen, so it doesn't matter whether you believe or not, nor whether you live a righteous life, if you are of the elect you're going to heaven and the rest of us are not. Sorry, this has nothing to do with the price of rice or armed men taking over a concession.

May I suggest to leave this discussion to a separate section? Actually the news here is about a parking lot.

... for the sake of these among us who don't see any cute, feathered, little white boy flying in one corner of the room and another red, bad, tailed, little guy hiding in the closet.

The root of all evil is quite simply...(drum-roll)...people :jap:

100% Correct :jap: