Cat Cdma Internet Aircard - Help/Advice Please

Hi all,

Due to all this rain we've havinglately, Im getting a LOT of power cuts where I live (just off Ghost Rod, near Bangrak).

No power = no internet

So, Im thinking about buying one of these CAT CDMA internet aircards.

Can anyone give any advice/help as to the cost of these, both to buy, and for the price plans? Ideally Id like an unlimited use package.

Also, Ive been told by a friend that they let you have a "24 hour trial period" where I can take it back within 24 hours of purchase if I dont want it, which allows me to take it home and check out the signal strength at my house, etc.

Also, I believe the only place to buy these on Samui is in Nathon, at the post office?

Oh, and what do I need to be able to buy? Proof of address? Thai bank account? etc etc?

Any experience with CAT CDMA out there who can offer help?

I am not too familiar with aircards, or the cost .... but they should be able to tell you in Nanthon whether will work in Bangrak.... they are generally good to deal with in there. (I'd be surprised if he give you a 24 hour trail!)

I think you might find it slower than using something like the MC 760 which you can take most places in Thailand (with Laptop etc, assuming Laptop has good battery life...when needed). The 760 are currently around 6000 baht, another less powerful model about half that if I remember. The unlimited time per month is about 850 baht including tax.... on those.

Some one told me Air card is less.... buying the time you need & top up.... but slow!

What you will need with you: is Passport or Local drivers license ... (or something too with your address) Cash or visa card, to set up an account.

Depending on your Thailand Visa stamp, you may need to put in a Thai name... I think those with Work Permit or retirement visa you should be OK.

You could try checking out the Cat Cdma website, but mostly in Thai...

Hope that helps a little!

Edited by samuijimmy

The CAT CDMA is 6,000 baht to buy and 780 plus VAT per month unlimited access.

You need a passport to buy it. (They used to ask for a work permit but that seems not to be the case lately.)

Buy it from CAT in Nathon.

It is almost as fast as TOT ADSL and much more reliable.

AIS and DTAC do something similar but pay as you go. I ma told that they are both slower with DTAC being the better of the two. (This view from other people.)

DTAC available from their shop in Big C and AIS from their place in Tesco Lotus

Sorry jimmy - you are quicker at typing than me

Edited by Tropicalevo

I have been using Cat Cdma for over a year now, and I'm very satified. I have triend every usb device from dtac to ais

adsl with tot,and IP star. The only one that has delievery anything close to service promise is CDMA with catcom.

The Latest device is ฿ 7000, but they do still have the ฿ 6000 model. But if you buy on the 1 of the month , you get a 3 month service for signon . after that it is 790 + Vat every month , unlimited, the call it 3g but it not but it will due, I hhave download

a lot of torrents with it. My daughter also using in CM but hers service is not as good as mine, I believe it is slower because

more ppl are on the network, I'm a lone eagle in the villege

You need a passport to buy it. (They used to ask for a work permit but that seems not to be the case lately.)

AIS and DTAC do something similar but pay as you go. I ma told that they are both slower with DTAC being the better of the two. (This view from other people.)

:lol:See that will teach you to sleep in, Tropicalevo'! :)Actually the MC 760 is 5900 baht to be exact!

I actually had to take some down to help get signed up with the MC 760, the other day...

If this is what the OP thinks he needs, & has a laptop, take it with you, & they well set every thing up & make sure working, another place here on Samui, I find to have good service, & if a home computer they will come to your home too.

All, thank you very much for the replies so far, its a great help.

2 questions on what Ive read above;

1. what is this UPS ?

2. does the CAT CDMA service cut out when we get the power cuts due to the heavy rain? or is it pretty much protected from that?

Thanks

Ian

Edited by steelerian

1. what is this UPS ?

2. does the CAT CDMA service cut out when we get the power cuts due to the heavy rain? or is it pretty much protected from that?

Thanks

Ian

A UPS is an Uninterrupted Power Supply. You plug it into the wall socket and then plug your computer & modem into the UPS. It is basically a large battery. Back up battery times vary a lot. The ones that I bought never seemed to last long. Also - it is a re-chargeable battery and eventually the battery will need to be replaced after xx number of re-charges.

The CDMA is unaffected by power cuts or rain. However, if there are problems with the mobile network, then you will have degradation of service. The worst problem that I have had is that it drops out now and again. Just reconnect. As long as your laptop has power the CDMA will work

If you buy one - take your lap-top along and get them to set it up (it is very easy) and then to show it to you working.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

1. what is this UPS ?

Thanks

Ian

Answers!

1. Not sure about UPS, don't they deliver packages? :lol:.... My feeling is it is probably what a few people I know (Thais) use and is dead slow.... it's the same with the CAT 150 model mentioned.... slow! OK perhaps for just email?

2. The MC 760 has respectable speeds, unless you are wanting to download large torrents...( or you download over night assuming power is OK! ) (Mine is actually MC 727, no longer available) But as far as rain goes, it does not seem to affect it.... at least noticeably. :)

They will tell you at CAT how it works in location.

Skype works well, for me, so guess that is a good indication....

Lately I've been having back ground music playing from Shoutcast, & or Sky Fm, which too does not seem to affect what I do.... Most of what I do in a big way is upload images... & don't have a problem.

I do have a USB wire connection to hang it in the window, which does help.... in my location.... That will cost you about 100 - 200 baht for USB wire & lady lady connection! :DThe "lady lady connection" may have to be shipped in from BKK (2 days).... shop opposite post office in Maenam will do!

I also have an old antenna that I used to have to use On KP when I lived there, but that was a different Cat Modem too... (slower!) But what was available at the time... things change fast!

Both my old modem & antenna available at a good price if anyone interested... just PM me...

But the cost for no limit time at CAT CDMA is the same!There are other time limited packages, but if you go over the limits, you'll get dinged! :(

Hope that helps!

Edited by samuijimmy

1. Not sure about UPS, don't they deliver packages? :lol:.... My feeling is it is probably what a few people I know (Thais) use and is dead slow.... it's the same with the CAT 150 model mentioned.... slow! OK perhaps for just email?

it's not slow at all, it's as fast as your mc760 have a look at the specs.

it's not slow at all, it's as fast as your mc760 have a look at the specs.

Ah! well that's interesting to know.... Thank you!

A neighbour wants to look at the choices today, so will bring that up with them at CAT

They told us the other day at CAT, that the 150 was slower.... guess they wanted the bigger amount of baht for the MC 760.... ;)

Looking at specs sometimes gets mind boggling! :unsure: Especially CAT's website, which is mostly Thai, but just looking at it, you are correct...

The one thing I wonder though, is the "pickup signal range" is the same???

I saw some where that they are offering 3 months free monthly service, was that just a one day "special offer"? Can't find who posted that..... to re-read it!

Edited by samuijimmy

Finally the UPS thing sunk in! :rolleyes: (Duh!) ..not had my second cup of coffee !!! :blink::)

I have two on my computer... been burned once!

Anyway went to Nanthon today, to pay the bill for my friend who picked up the MC760 last week.... (They had said come back next week.... & he was working )

And, yes the good news was not have to pay until December....:D so 3 months free!.

I asked about the 8000 baht MIFI device, that runs up to 5 computers.... he whispered ....not very good, .... wait until newer models come! .... normal I guess with new things like that, need to work out the bugs!

At least he was honest about it.... said several people had complained about them...

Forgot to ask about the 150 model.... & why so much cheaper....

You can buy a wireless router for 4,500bht that the CAT CDMA dongle plugs into

Or for 4,900 they do a really fat battery powered MIFI that the dongle plugs into.

grrr! :annoyed:

Just lost what I tried to post while going through the CAT website to find this model you mention... did not find it! Bit like a "pig in a poke" sorting through Thai!

So do you mind if I ask if you have used this model.... if so, how many computers will it serve and in what range... ? How much does sharing the signal drop, with more than one computer?

The small expensive MIFI's range is supposed to be 10 meters....

I did not see the model you speak off on their display case... nor the MC 150,(today) which is why I forgot to ask about it.

I am getting fed up with my D Link wireless, which sometimes works, .... mostly not!

Thanks if you have a moment to answer!

I have a friend going back to England that has one. He says from what he remembers he paid 3000 for it 3 months ago (although he may be counting the 3 months free @ 6k original price perhaps?). Anyway says he'll let it go for 1000 baht and I can just go see CAT and get a new SIM? Is this feasible?

I really hate going to Nathon to find out so if anyone knows..

@Samuijimmy

I've only seen them at the CAT shop in Pantrip Plaza ChiangMai, looks like a proper wifi router, but has two wired connections as well as the wifi. My pal has one in his house and is very happy with it.

@Mattcodes

CAT don't use SIM cards, they are registered to the owner and to change owners, you both need to go to a CAT dealer with Passport/driving licence and sign some forms.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Thanks guys! :)

@Samuijimmy

I've only seen them at the CAT shop in Pantrip Plaza ChiangMai, looks like a proper wifi router, but has two wired connections as well as the wifi. My pal has one in his house and is very happy with it.

Thanks Sarahsbloke! I would imagine CM would have a larger selection than little ol' Samui here!

@Mattcodes

CAT don't use SIM cards, they are registered to the owner and to change owners, you both need to go to a CAT dealer with Passport/driving license and sign some forms.

Matt. I'll PM you! ....

What your friend will need to do, is as Sarahsbloke says .... but also have a copy of his CAT's bill, to cancel out the contract.... then a new one will need to be paid & made out in new owners name.... "been there done that" with the old phone modem I had...

I wonder if one could switch from the paid up bill I have on MC727 to the MIFI ( I pay a year at a time, due in June) ... I think I can find a buyer for my 727 if the MIFI works! ... (neighbour)...

Agreed Nanthon would be a pain to get to from your place, especially if roads were kike they were yesterday.... 3 major flooded areas on road just from Maenam to Thaling Gnam!..... I heard not good coming from your way too!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

So I went to Nathon today to the CAT office. I told the guy I wanted to buy a USB internet stick, and he strongly advised me not to. He said that because so many people are using their service now, that the speeds are so slow. He said about only 300kb.

Is anyone currently using this service? If so how is it? Has it slowed down over the last few months?

It was 5600 to buy and 800/month, so I dont want to splash out for it and find it is no good.

Oh btw the guy said as far as he knows best internet available on the island is 3BB but obv that is a landline service.

Thanks again, appreciated.

Ian

Hi all,

So I went to Nathon today to the CAT office. I told the guy I wanted to buy a USB internet stick, and he strongly advised me not to. He said that because so many people are using their service now, that the speeds are so slow. He said about only 300kb.

Is anyone currently using this service? If so how is it? Has it slowed down over the last few months?

It was 5600 to buy and 800/month, so I dont want to splash out for it and find it is no good.

Oh btw the guy said as far as he knows best internet available on the island is 3BB but obv that is a landline service.

Ian

The bar stewards seem to be playing games at CAT. All previous versions that I bought were 6,000 baht, but I bought another CDMA 10 days ago. (for a customer) and it was

5,900 baht, 780 per month plus VAT. 3 months free.

It is still better than TOT in the afternoons when the kids are playing games after school.

Be careful about 3BB - lots of bad press. (Yes it is a land line.) A decent solution seems to vary depending on where you live

yes this is true BigC vouches for big C u can buy a dtac card from the dtac shop in Big C.

Hi all,

Ian

i asked about 3 bb in the shop but they would not sell me. they told me that 3bb is only available in some areas in Bangkok so samui is a long way away.

They said i can buy a 3bb card but without 3bb i will only get a 720 kbs max download less for upload

The bar stewards seem to be playing games at CAT. All previous versions that I bought were 6,000 baht, but I bought another CDMA 10 days ago. (for a customer) and it was

5,900 baht, 780 per month plus VAT. 3 months free.

It is still better than TOT in the afternoons when the kids are playing games after school.

Be careful about 3BB - lots of bad press. (Yes it is a land line.) A decent solution seems to vary depending on where you live

yes this is true BigC vouches for big C u can buy a dtac card from the dtac shop in Big C.

I just came across some one today with one of these dtac air cards & had just paid 2400 baht for it, ( I think she said) then 200 baht for "air time" .... not sure how long that is supposed to last....

Now, perhaps because of her location?, it is DEAD slow, so eating up purchased "air time" very quickly... waiting for anything to download including emails & definitely not good for things like Skype.... :rolleyes:

Sod it, Im going to go back and buy the CAT CMDA.

A solid reliable connection that doesnt cut out is far more important to me that speed, so from what you lot have said it seems to be the best bet for me.

You may have to wait a week or two for new stock to arrive (on MC 760) A friend just picked up the last one, off the self today....!

They told him speed had been slow lately, but they were "fixing the problem".... ???

Yesterday I noticed slower than usual, but seemed OK today.... as it usually is, for my purposes anyway!