Cat Cdma Internet Aircard - Help/Advice Please

How have people been finding their CAT CDMA over the last few days in all this rain and power cuts? Or any other mobile internet thingy?

My current crappy pre-pay AIS one has been dreadful.

CDMA is OK - I am writing this. When the mobile network was busy yesterday (and land lines were down in our area) it was a bit slow with dropouts, but it seems normal today.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to hear a few more response regarding the latency of the connection if possible.

For me, I don't need speed in excess of 56k, that's fine, although maybe something like 200-300 would be ideal.

Anytime my internet drops I am put in a position of losing a lot of money if I cannot reconnect within 10-30 seconds. Does it reconnect well?

Whatever you do, don't get 3BB. I had a new line installed, got the best/most expensive package. Sure, it's fast (for thailand), but it drops all the time sometimes for minutes, sometimes hours. Rain or no rain, it's horrid. I have seen other's mention that it's due to locality, I don't buy this, I know 5 other people at varying locations around the island and they have all had the same problems I have.

I'd like to hear a few more response regarding the latency of the connection if possible.

For me, I don't need speed in excess of 56k, that's fine, although maybe something like 200-300 would be ideal.

Anytime my internet drops I am put in a position of losing a lot of money if I cannot reconnect within 10-30 seconds. Does it reconnect well?

Whatever you do, don't get 3BB. I had a new line installed, got the best/most expensive package. Sure, it's fast (for thailand), but it drops all the time sometimes for minutes, sometimes hours. Rain or no rain, it's horrid. I have seen other's mention that it's due to locality, I don't buy this, I know 5 other people at varying locations around the island and they have all had the same problems I have.

DTAC EDGE would be enough for you as a back up. You can pick up a USB modem, such as the Huawei E160. That together with a HAPPY Internet SIM for 69 baht(300 inclusive minutes) should keep you connected in times of trouble. :)

TRUEMOVE did have a 3G trial on the island, I don't know if it is still running. If it is, you can use that same modem to connect. You can buy a starter SIM pack with 3 to 6 hours of 3G airtime for 129 baht.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

I will be staying in Lamai between the restauraunt/bar road and the ring road. There is no wifi in my chosen property so I'm guessing a CAT CDMA, whatever that might be, is my best solution. This forum is suggesting about 6000thb plus monthly is the cost. I will be in Bangkok a few days before I come to Samui so my obvious question is can I buy the CAT CDMA in Pantip Plaza and make a big saving? Will the same device work all over Thailand as I will be making several side trips from Samui.

I will be staying in Lamai between the restauraunt/bar road and the ring road. There is no wifi in my chosen property so I'm guessing a CAT CDMA, whatever that might be, is my best solution. This forum is suggesting about 6000thb plus monthly is the cost. I will be in Bangkok a few days before I come to Samui so my obvious question is can I buy the CAT CDMA in Pantip Plaza and make a big saving? Will the same device work all over Thailand as I will be making several side trips from Samui.

You'll need to set up an account, with CATCDMA.... (have passport with you) I believe it works most places in Thailand, except BKK,.....a different company controls that market.... (certainly anywhere I have traveled in southern Thailand it has worked, & know of people in northern areas that use the system)

They may still have their get three months free, on monthly service.... you'd better hurry!

They will tell you if it works in the area, you will be living, from my experience if you are two to three Kms from a Micro Wave tower you should get good signal...

You'll need to set up an account, with CATCDMA.... (have passport with you) I believe it works most places in Thailand, except BKK,.....a different company controls that market.... (certainly anywhere I have traveled in southern Thailand it has worked, & know of people in northern areas that use the system)

They may still have their get three months free, on monthly service.... you'd better hurry!

They will tell you if it works in the area, you will be living, from my experience if you are two to three Kms from a Micro Wave tower you should get good signal...

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info

Not sure what happened to the TRUE 3G on Samui. I think CAT complained about it. :)

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

The CAT CDMA is 6,000 baht to buy and 780 plus VAT per month unlimited access.

You need a passport to buy it. (They used to ask for a work permit but that seems not to be the case lately.)

Buy it from CAT in Nathon.

It is almost as fast as TOT ADSL and much more reliable.

AIS and DTAC do something similar but pay as you go. I ma told that they are both slower with DTAC being the better of the two. (This view from other people.)

DTAC available from their shop in Big C and AIS from their place in Tesco Lotus

Sorry jimmy - you are quicker at typing than me

DTAC available from their shop in Big C and AIS from their place in Tesco Lotus

yes this is true BigC vouches for big C u can buy a dtac card from the dtac shop in Big C.

;)are the CAT cards faster than the dtac cards. i am using at the moment. it is a little too slow. not too bad. just not quite fast enough.

downloading can be a problem. not too bad for when i travel. if a hotel charges me something stupid like 300 baht for 24 hr slow service then i a happy with the dtac card though for perminat use. it is just not fast enough.