Furniture Wanted

HowardB

You can buy direct for many factory's in lamphun on the same road ,so from makro superhighway drive 20k down super towards BKK and Lamphun and you will turn left after the second gas station and all the furnisher places are their and cost 1/3 of the price as chiang mai. when you pass

makro Lamphun ask some one for BAN MAR its where the trade buy from and you can buy everything their you need. Rob.

Hi Howard.

Also another place, going south from Chiang Mai toward Hang Dong on 108 (Chiang Mai-Hod Rd.) you'll see signs for Ban Tawai (to the left) as you enter the Hang Dong area. Ban Tawai has some interesting and beautiful furniture from many different shops to check out. Some shops can custom build your furniture at reasonable prices too.

Edited by ThaiWx

2.5 hours down highway 11 is a town called Den Chai. All the area has are wooden furniture shops. Most of the wooden products we see in Thailand come from this area. The furniture is solid wood not your Index type. I can show you a beautiful 6 chair and dinning table for 5500 baht, same table and chairs goes for 12,000 baht in Chiang Mai. I picked up two bed room sets, living room set, kitchen and dinning room set plus a couple other items for 47,000 baht. Paid another 7,000 baht to have them delivered 800 kilometers further south. I could have sold this furniture in Surin for 140,000 baht.

Once a year they have a sale of good quality furniture in the area behind Tesco Lotus on the superhighway. It is made by prisoners apparently and I've heard it is much cheaper than places like Ban Tawai. I don't remember which month it's on, but it might be worth finding out.

Appreciation for the replies and advice, however the companies suggested conjure up visions of more traditional heavy wooden furniture. I'm looking for something slimline and modern more suited for a condo.

Thanks

Howard

Index sells lighter weight genuine, imitation, artificlal simulated wood furniture that comes in segments to be assembled once inside.:)

Index Living Mall on the east side outter ring superhighway is pretty big with that sort of thing too.

Edited by ThaiWx

Appreciation for the replies and advice, however the companies suggested conjure up visions of more traditional heavy wooden furniture. I'm looking for something slimline and modern more suited for a condo.

Thanks

Howard

What you want is in Lamphun...and it's cheaper than anywhere else. Delivery is also free to most parts of Chiang Mai.

Thanks

Howard

What you want is in Lamphun...and it's cheaper than anywhere else. Delivery is also free to most parts of Chiang Mai.

I agree with you - I have just bought furniture worth 70.000 Baht in Lamphun which would have cost me at least 30- 40 % more in places like Index - the exact same bed sold at Index for 6900 Baht - I needed 4 - first price 4900 Baht - had a Thai friend with me who is good in haggling prices down and they sold them to me for 4000 Baht - so more than 10.000 Baht saved on the 4 beds alone.

Of course they don't have a large selection like Index Living Mall - but if you look around and you find something you like you will get a much better price than in Chiang Mai.

Do you remember the old saying? "A picture is worth a thousand words".

When I was looking for furniture, I got very frustrated looking in the shops because most of the furniture was too heavy and bulky for the size of the room. I went to google images, then searched through pictures of the type of things I wanted. I printed these out and took them to the various small workshops that manufacture them. If you want something with a wood frame, I would suggest that you stop in at some of the shops along the road, after you make the turn off of Hang Dong Road on the way to Ban Tawai. Most of the shops have their own factories nearby, and if you have all the dimensions you want, as well as leg height--sort of make a rough drawing. Remember, Thai furniture is lower to the ground and the chairs and sofas are usually a few inches shorter than western sizes.

If you want upholstered sofas and chairs, do the same google search of images, and go around to the several small furniture workshops in Chiang Mai. I know there are a few on the east side of the Ping River, but I don't know their names or address, but if you drive around you will see them out in the open. I hear that many people have been satisfied going this route as well.