Laughable Service

random

Ahh, food of the Gods. But only 3 toast? I’m a little disappointed………….No chips! My mouth is now watering!!!

But you do get 3 slices of fried bread which I think is a fair trade for the gannets among us.

That should be called The Gut Buster!

Had it the one time on a Sunday morning. Lunch and dinner were out of the question that day.

We are wondering off topic but who cares when it comes to egg,bacon, the works. Me, English but the best breakfast ever was in a hidden away place in the Everglades, Florida on a car cruise, the big breakfast was called ' The Hungry Man's ' It came up the size of a serving tray with a stack of 6 inch pancakes topped with butter and a pitcher of maple syrup on the side, eggs bacon sausage hash browns beans tomatoes, never seen anything like it and l did get through it AND it was hot, of course washed down with coffee and Florida fresh orange juice. Fond memory eh

All good apart from the maple syrup mate. Dodgy!

Edited by mca

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It`s good that he has warned others about this place and thanks for bringing this to our attention. It could save others from having the same problem at this dump in the future.

I'll be eternally grateful, I'm not quite sure I could survive the horrors of cold chips. blink.gif

And I'll never order Thai food in a Fish n' Chip shop in case the rice is hot.. rolleyes.gif

Edited by sillyman99

I think the OP should acknowledge he's in Thailand. I can never quite understand why people go to a foreign country anywhere in the world and then want to eat like they do in Fred's cafe down the road. Be adventurous! Thai food is dirt cheap by any standards and if you don't like the first meal that arrives, order another one.

I think the OP should acknowledge he's in Thailand. I can never quite understand why people go to a foreign country anywhere in the world and then want to eat like they do in Fred's cafe down the road. Be adventurous! Thai food is dirt cheap by any standards and if you don't like the first meal that arrives, order another one.

But, day after day after day after day, noooooooooo, BigMac please. NOW. :unsure:

Look, the OP obviously hates Thailand, hates Thai people, and bashes people called Onnut, denies he ate a meal, then complains about the bones stuck in his throat from the meal he never ate.

rolleyes.gif

It`s good that he has warned others about this place and thanks for bringing this to our attention. It could save others from having the same problem at this dump in the future.

I'll be eternally grateful, I'm not quite sure I could survive the horrors of cold chips. blink.gif

And I'll never order Thai food in a Fish n' Chip shop in case the rice is hot.. rolleyes.gif

I've seen Chinese food sold in a chippy but never Thai food.

So you didn't have to pay for a meal you found unsatisfactory.That's excellent service,although apparently poor cooking.

If you want my advice, next time you go to a Thai restaurant, order Thai food.Most of them are really good at that, as they know what it is supposed to look and taste like. I doubt if 1 in 20 Thais has ever laid eyes or teeth into a fish and chips meal.

Agree up to a point. If it was some joint on the river, it was probably selling the view, not the quality of the food. We have the magnificent Cape Laem Promthep here on Phuket, for instance, serving up the worst food of any kind (along with their 'cocktails) in the world. Why? Because they not only have the view, but are the only 'restaurant' being allowed to operate there'. Draw your own conclusions.

However, although I only eat in Thai restaurants, I've found, particularly the restaurants catering to farang also (adding fish and chips et al), their Thai food sucks as much as their 'farang' food. (Although I've found a few who are the exception to this rule).

You can cook, or you can't. Bit like 'you can either paint or draw, or can't. Good with engine parts, or not etc.

If you don't enjoy/have a passion for whatever you're doing, it's going to be CRAP. And anyway, do most Thai restaurant owners give a flying one whether the cook is any good or not? 'Hey you! Cook's off today, don't bother with cleaning the lavs, get yourself in the kitchen today'.

Edited by evanson

You Silly Billy99

Edited by Beetlejuice

transam is most wise. Eating nothing but Thai food gets old after about 6 months.

bored02.gif

Loads of <deleted> talked here. Near ALL the Thais in UK go to horrendous lengths to get the ingredients for their Thai/Lao grub. Thais do NOT like farang food in farangland, they do not like Thai restaurant food in farang land. Been there, done it. Why should a farang like farang food in Thailand. ? :unsure: They don't, l don't. :rolleyes:

Either that or a lot travel with Mama in the bag. Seen it on too many occasions with the in laws especially. :D

In Bangkok at least there are many excellent Western Restaurants and the food is fantastic, as good as and often better than in the UK and often costs close to what it might in a restaurant in the UK.

I understand Randoms point. He ordered food that was on the menu and it was well below what he considered edible - I'm sure those of us who are looking forwards to a meal have all found themselves in the same situation in Thailand at some point and being hungry only compounds the issue.

For those who say don't order Western food in a Thai restaurant, I'd say to the Thai restaurants 'Don't offer Western food if they can't cook it'....

If a fish and chip shop in the UK offered Thai Green Curry with their Chips anyone would have a right to complain if it arrived cold. Additionally, its not difficult to get good fish in Thailand - Sea bass is often offered as the fish in the 'fish and chips' sense and is often very good, so this restaurant was apparently serving substandard fish too.

The restaurant staff lied to Random that the Manager was not there. Simply put, the food and service was poor and most people would justifiably feel disappointed.

Being 'Thai' is not a good excuse for poor service in this case.

So thanks to Random for providing this information - If I ever find myself at this restaurant I'll know to order only Thai food.

No matter where you go. Your food from home will not have the same taste in other countries. Only thing you'll find that has the exact same taste are the fast food chains like Mcdonalds(American) or Burgerking(British). I will admit Sizzler has some decent beef. It's all imported from Australia. It's the same way with Thai food. It tastes really different(bland in my opinion) in western countries.

Very interesting topic, especially the many replies that you should eat Thai food in a Thai restaurant.

I don't eat Thai food, I don't like it, and when I go to a restaurant I expect the items on the menu to be at least the same quality as the Thai food served.

Judging by many responses here, I cannot trust any restaurant in Britain to have a decent Wiener Schnitzel or Osso Buco because it's not local fare.

Anyway to the OP you're absolutely right in complaining if you're food was served cold.

Yermanee

I will admit Sizzler has some decent beef. It's all imported from Australia.

You could have fooled me. The shoddy cooking at Sizzler usually creates a barely edible piece of meat.

Sizzler is definitely one of those laughable places that say they do western food. Service may be good - Food shocking !!!

I also suggest that the barely edible piece of meat would be barely edible no matter how it was cooked, or perhaps they need to slow roast their steaks, cut them up into swallowable chunks (without chewing) or puree them so they can be ingested.

Sizzler is one place I avoid more so than the Thai places serving western food !...

Crappy cooking and quality can be found everywhere, many pubs in the UK are terrible. In fact, there is only Pub / Restaurant in my home area that I'll even entertain the thought of eating out in, they rest are poorly lacking (The curries are generally all great however).

Sizzler is definitely one of those laughable places that say they do western food. Service may be good - Food shocking !!!

At least you've got good service. The staff in Central Khon Kaen Sizzler look as if somebody just told them their favourite pet dog has just been run over. Miserable buggers.

Loads of <deleted> talked here. Near ALL the Thais in UK go to horrendous lengths to get the ingredients for their Thai/Lao grub. Thais do NOT like farang food in farangland, they do not like Thai restaurant food in farang land. Been there, done it. Why should a farang like farang food in Thailand. ? :unsure: They don't, l don't. :rolleyes:

I dated two Thai women in the US, and I regularly travel with five Thais to the west. Not one of them went to any great lengths to eat Thai food. Only one ate Thai food with any regularity, and that was what she cooked at home.

With my travel companions, one woman needed her Thai fix every three days or so, but the rest rarely eat Thai (three of them went to school in the US, and for the three or four months total we have spent together in Europe and the US after they returned home to Thailand, we only ate Thai once, at a restaurant in New York owned by a friend.)

Hi random

You don’t say how long you’ve been in Thailand, from your opening statement it would appear you’ve been here long enough to know better, no disrespect intended but to order non-Thai food from somewhere you’ve not eaten, or had recommended to you for their western food IMO is akin to putting your hand in a fire and think you won’t get burnt.

I know it’s very frustrating, I eat for the most part Thai, but there are times I just want something to eat I have to cut with a knife first. When I get the need for western food I always go to restaurants I know or places highly recommended for western food, I don’t go to a Thai establishment, no matter how nice and expect, “pudding peas, chips and gravy” Your just asking to get yourself wound right up!

I think a prime example of optimism is sitting in a Thai café/restaurant and watching westerner tourists order an American or English breakfast, the look on their face when it turns up or start to eat there cold egg!

I think the rule of thumb, if you want to eat farang, be sure they can cook it first.

In my past experiences the rule of the thumb is that those who order Thai food in many Thai restaurants get theirs first, those who order western food get it as and when it arrives, sometimes as long as twenty minutes or more after, I used to get annoyed years ago, but now don't bother, it's the Thai way in many places, "Mai pen Rai", why even bother to get upset and spoil your night.. ;)

Edited by MB1

• 4 weeks later...

or Burgerking(British)

:huh: Burger King are about as British as Disneyland!

Yeah sorry bout that i had some old information. The British company who had actually owned Burgerking had sold their shares BACK to an American company in 2002.

Edited by Caliguy